MOTUL questions

+1
You just can't go wrong with the x-clean+, it's a very capable oil. I would definitely recommend it if the price is "right" in your area since any motul branded product can get expensive depending on where you actually live 😅

1. Castrol has been hit by a massive influx of "fake" oils. And I dont want to second guess what I bought and what Im pouring in to my 60.000EUR car :D. Some of the new "fakes" use the original bottles, they drain the original oil, sell the original to someone, pour their fake stuff in to the original packaging, and seal the place where they bleed the bottle.

All of your "fake" checks go out the window...its terrible :(

2. Long drains are accepted in European Market if you do a lot of highway and long trips (and if you use VW504 certified oil) :)
So an oil producer has a supply chain to the retailer. Somewhere in that chain large quantities of product are diverted, the real product collected, the containers filled back with another product that has a similar color, aroma, the original jugs are foil sealed perfectly, the breakaway tabbed screw tops are replaced with unbroken caps, and the finished product is put back into the supply chain?

i have tested Castrol engine Shampoo, can say it did some work, will use it again next oil change. Also its better than normal engine flush since it dosent attack gaskets and its dosent remove to much dirt/sludge at once. And Castrol engine shampoo is more like a oil.

I also did use gtx for its cleaning agents. But.. did change oil to M1 0w-40 since find it doing the cleaning much better than the gtx.

These days no one should need those special "oil flushing products" :) being sold. Sounds like the M1 did what you expected it to do. I have a brother who been using M1 for 30+ years. One of his reasons (he has saved used oil to show me more than once) is just how clean it comes out after his 5000 or 7000 miles use in two cars. He does a lot of hard city stop & go driving too. People talk about all the formula changes to M1 etc... but he says he feels he gets the same high quality experience from M1 as he always has.

These days no one should need those special "oil flushing products" :) being sold. Sounds like the M1 did what you expected it to do. I have a brother who been using M1 for 30+ years. One of his reasons (he has saved used oil to show me more than once) is just how clean it comes out after his 5000 or 7000 miles use in two cars. He does a lot of hard city stop & go driving too. People talk about all the formula changes to M1 etc... but he says he feels he gets the same high quality experience from M1 as he always has.
True👍 But i did buy a cheap Rav4 that had some sludge. The owner had used some cheap oil in it. I have to say i am very happy with M1 0w-40😊

I also did use gtx for its cleaning agents. But.. did change oil to M1 0w-40 since find it doing the cleaning much better than the gtx.
How were you able to compare the cleaning abilities of the two oils? What was your process and the parameters, i.e., how long did you run each oil and under what conditions, did you pull the valve covers, drop the oil pan? If you ran the two oils back-to-back, did you consider the cumulative effect of the results from the two oils? In short, would you be kind enough to explain what you did to arrive at your conclusion. Thanks!

How were you able to compare the cleaning abilities of the two oils? What was your process and the parameters, i.e., how long did you run each oil and under what conditions, did you pull the valve covers, drop the oil pan? If you ran the two oils back-to-back, did you consider the cumulative effect of the results from the two oils? In short, would you be kind enough to explain what you did to arrive at your conclusion. Thanks!
running 10k km oil change. Did change valve cover gasket, and my personal opinion on that, m1 do a better cleaning. Also the M1 0w-40 have approvals on a other level than the gtx i used.

I couldn't find the Castrol Engine Shampoo, but they do have MOTUL Engine cleaner 300ml. I will give that a go. Since I do long oil intervals it wouldn't hurt to do an oil/engine flush. Car has done 56.500miles with long intervals and never had a flush, plus like I said few dodgy oil changes with less than reputable oil supplier.

From what I also see the 8100x Clean + has better properties or same as MOTUL Specific and it costs less. There has to be something that makes the specific better. Something we just don't see.

Question:
If I do decide to do engine flush with stuff like Castrol or MOTUL shampoos.

Won't the fact that you can never get 100% of old oil out, mean that your new oil will be mixing with say 10% of old oil + whatever engine flush chemical I pour?

Essentially compromising the new oil?

Last edited:
This isn't that hard.
I've used Castrol Edge in my Mercedes for years. I was recently given Motul X-Clean+ by a friend who sold a Sprinter.
I put it in my Mercedes without a flush.
Guess what?
My touchy OM642 runs smoothly. No explosion, no knock, rattle, or bang.
Yesterday it told me it is not suffering withdrawal nor even a hangover from lack of Titanium.
My next UOA might show some leftover Titanium. Who cares?
I slept well.

So an oil producer has a supply chain to the retailer. Somewhere in that chain large quantities of product are diverted, the real product collected, the containers filled back with another product that has a similar color, aroma, the original jugs are foil sealed perfectly, the breakaway tabbed screw tops are replaced with unbroken caps, and the finished product is put back into the supply chain?
Not exactly...

I am aware of one damaged engine her in Germany. A very reputable guy in the engine oil and VW forums.
The Mobil 1 0w-40 he bought was in Fact SAE 30 Hydraulic oil. He bought it in a big Engine oil online store in Germany. I am guessing that this counterfeit stuff is leaking into german online stores, via east europeen countries, in small numbers.
I buy my oil at my local parts shop, i dont care bout the small saving of money.

Question:
If I do decide to do engine flush with stuff like Castrol or MOTUL shampoos.

Won't the fact that you can never get 100% of old oil out, mean that your new oil will be mixing with say 10% of old oil + whatever engine flush chemical I pour?

Essentially compromising the new oil?
Yes. I read that the chemistry of engine flushes will dissolve when the engine really gets hot, but i dont have any proof off it.
Anyway, you have two options. Run a cheap oil afterwards as flush, or just live with it.
At every oil change you have some of the oild oil left in the engine...

Back