MOTUL questions

Hi everyone,

Been using 5w-30 Castrol EDGE for years now.

Want to try MOTUL range for my AUDI.

My local shop offers both MOTUL Specific VW504 (5w30) and 8100x clean+ (5w30).

Price: "SPECIFIC" is around 18EUR (around 20$) more expensive than 8100x clean+ oil. (for the 5l or 5.3USquart jug)

Questions:

1. What is the difference between the 8100x clean+ vs SPECIFIC?

2. Is it really worth the 20$ price difference?

(I do long drains, so its 2 years or 18.000miles)

Appreciate any input :)

I thought that "specific VW504" was more catering to VW manufacturers specific (see what I did there :D) requirements. That's what I read from Motul's own description of the oils.

Difference of 18EUR is a lot. That's easily an extra 1L bottle of the same oil. Which is funny since I need 5.7L of oil (and containers they sell are 5 or 1L)

Thought that since I will change the oil 2 years later. Might as well give it the best one. :D

1) Why switch? IMO, the differences between the two are marginal, if at all.
2) Why the long interval?
1. Castrol has been hit by a massive influx of "fake" oils. And I dont want to second guess what I bought and what Im pouring in to my 60.000EUR car :D. Some of the new "fakes" use the original bottles, they drain the original oil, sell the original to someone, pour their fake stuff in to the original packaging, and seal the place where they bleed the bottle.

All of your "fake" checks go out the window...its terrible :(

2. Long drains are accepted in European Market if you do a lot of highway and long trips (and if you use VW504 certified oil) :)

1. Castrol has been hit by a massive influx of "fake" oils. And I dont want to second guess what I bought and what Im pouring in to my 60.000EUR car :D. Some of the new "fakes" use the original bottles, they drain the original oil, sell the original to someone, pour their fake stuff in to the original packaging, and seal the place where they bleed the bottle.

2. Long drains are accepted in European Market if you do a lot of highway and long trips (and if you use VW504 certified oil) :)

1) Counterfeit products have been an issue on Amazon and eBay for some time now. That's why I prefer to buy auto parts from car manufacture's own online store and am very selective as to which vendor to buy products from on Amazon. IMO, it is probably more feasible for you to be more selective as to the source you buy your oil from instead of just switching brand, because if this can happen to Castrol, I would think it can happen with any other oil brand as well, including Motul.

2) 2 years and 18K miles is a long time and lots of miles to leave oil inside an engine. Not sure the savings from long oil change interval out weights the potential issues that can arise from it. Just my opinion.

1. I buy my fluids & filters from our countries "popular" car part stores. Yes I agree, the counterfeit can happen to any other brand. But Castrol always had the biggest issue here sadly. Because the brand is too popular and one of the more expensive ones. :(
If you are going to jail, might as well counterfeit profitable stuff I guess. :ROFLMAO:

Why Motul then?
I got a contact with a company that sells the oil to dealerships directly and issues a certificate of authenticity, as well as being MOTUL's importer for 20 years. Other brands have some back door "hard to trace" distribution/import network in to my country.
So Motul is the only brand in my situation that has any guarantee.

2. Long drain is no issue if you adhere to the driving habits required for it. (mostly highways and long trips to enable the oil to warm up and evaporate water).
I never reach 30.000km (or 18k miles in US). Its mostly the 2yr calendar term that comes first.
The oil that my mechanic drained was still in very good shape after 2 years.
So we are good :)

P.s- You wanna know what has crazy long change interval according to VAG? (answer: Air filter, with whooping 56.000miles before your first replacement!) Now that is mental! :D

includes M1 and Shell helux ultra

Took this shot yesterday.

C009F6C2-D317-44C8-B204-F893865CCF18.jpeg

This is what I am so worried about "Fake Oils" if buying online. Even in "some" reputable websites. I would rather put Castrol Edge purchased at Walmart on my car even though it is not approved by car manufacturer, do a 5k OCI rather than pouring a fake oil made out of vegetable oil

Last edited:
I didn't know MB 229.52 allows for 5W-40.
VW 511 00 is nice but very most Audi and VW sadly aren't allowed running it.
I didnt know VW511 was not approved for earlier models. Interesting. Not that I have ever seen VW511 oil here. But good to know that I am not to pour that oil in to my VW504 car.
This is what I am so worried about "Fake Oils" if buying online. Even in "some" reputable websites. I would rather put Castrol Edge purchased at Walmart on my car even though it is not approved by car manufacturer, do a 5k OCI rather than pouring a fake oil made out of vegetable oil
Problem here is that even "brick and mortar" channels are compromised. But I found a way to get a very sure source.

Don't get me wrong. I'd expect all VAG turbo DI engines to run just fine
with VW 511 00 oils. It just isn't spported by VW and Audi, so I wouldn't
recommend running VW 511 00 during warranty except car in question
is actually specced for VW 511 00.
Basically VW 511 00 is just a tad thicker VW 504 00. VW 504 00/507 00 is
0W-30 or 5W-30 while VW 511 00 is either 0W-40 or 5W-40. Same with
Porsche C30 and C40 btw.
I wish VW would back-spec VW 511 00 for older applications (say 502 00
and 504 00), but that's most certainly not gonna happen. VW/Audi wants
you to use (thinner) VW 504 00 for best efficiency even though the gain's
just tiny I'd bet.

Aha I understand now.

Im always going for VW504 and 5w-30 :)

Oh well, at least now the VW504 will be cheaper since there is a "new king in town".

I am excited to try the Motul 8100X Clean+. Hope it will wash the engine better.

I tried to get my hands on Castrol GTX 5w-30 oil (the one with less protection but much more "cleaning agents") in hopes of cleaning the engine for one service interval.

Did anyone use Castrol Engine Shampoo? :)

I think I'd rather go 56k on the air filter than 18k on the oil and oil filter in a TGDI engine.

**if you live on a dirt road, desert.etc that is different

I'm doing half the OLM suggested intervals on my GTI (and same on my Mini).
That's roughly 12.000 km instead of 24.000 km. I use OE VW Mann filters and
Ravenol VMP (VW 504 00) and REP 5W-30 alternatingly.

Aha I understand now.

Im always going for VW504 and 5w-30 :)

Oh well, at least now the VW504 will be cheaper since there is a "new king in town".

I am excited to try the Motul 8100X Clean+. Hope it will wash the engine better.

I tried to get my hands on Castrol GTX 5w-30 oil (the one with less protection but much more "cleaning agents") in hopes of cleaning the engine for one service interval.

Did anyone use Castrol Engine Shampoo? :)
i have tested Castrol engine Shampoo, can say it did some work, will use it again next oil change. Also its better than normal engine flush since it dosent attack gaskets and its dosent remove to much dirt/sludge at once. And Castrol engine shampoo is more like a oil.

I also did use gtx for its cleaning agents. But.. did change oil to M1 0w-40 since find it doing the cleaning much better than the gtx.

i have tested Castrol engine Shampoo, can say it did some work, will use it again next oil change. Also its better than normal engine flush since it dosent attack gaskets and its dosent remove to much dirt/sludge at once. And Castrol engine shampoo is more like a oil.

I also did use gtx for its cleaning agents. But.. did change oil to M1 0w-40 since find it doing the cleaning much better than the gtx.
Sadly GTX is labelled as "dealership" "car service centres" only oil. As in, you cannot buy the oil in stores. Hence why I am fishing for Castrol Shampoo.
:)

Back