MOTUL ECO LITE 5w30.

QX1

What are impressions and guideline for MOTUL ECO LITE 5w30. It says Infiniti even and Nissan recomends this oil.

Guideline? Does it carry the recommended or required specification, approval or license the manufacturer states for your engine? Recommending a brand is irrelevant.

What are impressions and guideline for MOTUL ECO LITE 5w30. It says Infiniti even and Nissan recomends this oil.

Infiniti is Nissan. As for the oil, Motul paid Nissan for the recommendation. That is a common practice.

It’s a good oil from what I hear. Follow your manual for guidelines.

I don't understand the fascination with Motul. I don't see anything special about that brand other than their fancy looking bottles.

Like @edyvw said, their oils are good but are they THAT much better than the competition? You have to factor in many things such as price, availability and specifications of the oil itself has.

Here is the eco-lite that is dexos1Gen2 approved. This oil is good for a 5w30 grade and comparable to other brands with the same weight and specs. It has a good TBN. Even the viscosity at 100 degrees is 11.4 so it is on the thicker end of being a 5w30. If I can recall correctly PP ultra has a V100 of 10.3 and Mobil 1 EP has a v100 of 10.6 (both of which still fall in the 5w30 spectrum), but this is going off the top of my head and this is just a little fun info for you to consider.

Also, the oil has a HTHS of 3.3, M1 EP and PP Ultra have a HTHS of 3.0 from what I've seen last around here, it may have or may not have increased but these differences are minuscule but still something to consider if you want to. Note: Pennzoil doesn't give HTHS info on their sheets anymore, neither does M1 (on their sites) but M1 did have HTHS for their 0w40 oil.

The reason I am comparing it to M1 EP and Pennzoil Ultra is because both of these oils coupled with a good filter will do an equal job compared to Motul Eco lite running on the same interval. Not only that, they will be MUCH cheaper alternatives. The money you save on the price differences you can allocate to a quality oil filter and then treat yourself to a combo from Mcdonald's.

Keep digging around this site, you will find the information that you need. As for "reccomends" it's just that, a recommendation, Infiniti/Nissan have a good relationship with Motul just like Mobil 1 has with: AMG, Bentley, Aston and Porsche.

Attachments

• 8100_Eco-lite_5W-30_(GB).pdf
    148.2 KB · Views: 129
I don't understand the fascination with Motul. I don't see anything special about that brand other than their fancy looking bottles.
All it takes is a cool name, a fancy bottle, and some feel good marketing.

Personally I'm waiting for Aldi's to come out with some Dexos spec oil at a buck a quart. (Is that even possible? Anybody know what the wholesale cost of the base and add pack would be?)

The reason I am comparing it to M1 EP and Pennzoil Ultra is because both of these oils coupled with a good filter will do an equal job ... Not only that, they will be MUCH cheaper alternatives. The money you save on the price differences you can allocate to a quality oil filter and then treat yourself to a combo from Mcdonald's.
Even in Estonia?

My only experience with Motul was when I had a YZF-R6 in the early 2000's. I used Motul 15w50. It came in metal cans. I know Motul is a high quality oil. I believe they make the oil for the Nismo division of Nissan. Whether or not it is worth the price in an every day care is debatable.

All it takes is a cool name, a fancy bottle, and some feel good marketing.

Personally I'm waiting for Aldi's to come out with some Dexos spec oil at a buck a quart. (Is that even possible? Anybody know what the wholesale cost of the base and add pack would be?)
Base pack in Motul will be far different than Aldi. But keep comforting yourself it is same stuff.

It's a very fine oil. I'm consistently using Motul 5W30 Eco Lite D1G2 it in my '17 Buick Lacrosse w/ 3.6 V6. No appearance of varnish thru the fill hole at ~ 37k on the odo, 6 - 7k per OCI, But there shouldn't be for any approved oil at that mileage.

I buy the stuff by the case because I like the intermediate viscosity HTHS of 3.3 for a 30 weight D1G2, think it adds a 10% safety buffer to the usual 3.0 - 3.1 HTHS in most D1G2's. And yes, it's licensed by GM Dexos, not one of those "recommended fors", or "meets requirements ofs" oils.

I use their 8100 5W30 Econergy oil in my '01 Silverado 6.0, like that it has a 3.4 HTHS and high SAPS (API SL rating). With UOAs it gets me to 10k OCIs where M1 EP 5W30 got me 7.5k and M1 vanilla 5W30 was 5 - 6k. Guessing Motul 8100 uses more Group IV and V base stock to hold off oxidation & nitration thickening longer?

As far as oil for GTR's and Sky Lines (not what you're asking), Motul does make a Nismo Specific oil in 0W30, 5W40 and 15W50. I've wondered if it's relabeled Motul Sport Ester, but probably not as it costs a bit more.

Guideline? Does it carry the recommended or required specification, approval or license the manufacturer states for your engine? Recommending a brand is irrelevant.

Nissan (and/or Infiniti) has no specifications or approvals. Only generic API and/or ILSAC. They only insinuate using "ester" oils for best results.

Back