Motul 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned down the offer to test this oil, I was not comfortable with the conditions:

quote:

Hey Pat,

The Motul rep came by the shop today, said that things look good and that we'll probably get the oil. Here's the conditions we came up with;

1)You supply an oil filter

2)You must pay for the oil analysis (seems fair since their "donating" oil) and send it to your own lab that you have been using for an independent unbias review.

2)We'll hold on to the oil, and HTR will do the change (they are giving us a small drum of it)

3)The want a copy of the following oil analysis results;
a)current oil in car before switch
- this way they can gauge the change from brand X to Motul.
b)all three oil changes with Motul

4)They also want you to use the Motul Engine Clean before switching to thier oil. This way any sludge build up, or remains of other oil is washed out. This stuff goes in the oil, run the car at idle for 15mins, then dump the oil.

5)A fair comparison from you, and as much feedback as possible on their product.

I know you have to pay for the oil analysis kits, 4 to be exact, but they will be giving us 18L of oil to test with. The 8100 series sells for $14.45/L so by 18L that's $260.10. Don't forget the Engine Clean too, that sells for $18.02...so that's now $278.72 plus tax = $320.53!!!

If that sounds good, I'll make all the arrangements. A target start date would be nice so I can pass it along.

For 5w30 sythetic engine oil, which one will you pick? Which one is better?

1) Amsoil ASL
2) Motul 8100
3) Mobil 1 SuperSyn

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by bcrl:
For 5w30 sythetic engine oil, which one will you pick? Which one is better?

1) Amsoil ASL
2) Motul 8100
3) Mobil 1 SuperSyn

Thanks!

My choice would be Amsoil for sure out of those three.

My choice would be Amsoil for sure out of those three.

-----------------------------------------------

Is that you have some reasons that you will pick Amsoil for your first choice instead of others like Mobil 1 or Motul 8100? They are all Group 4 base as far as i know. Is that true?

Thanks!

The Motul is ester (Group V) based.

-----------------------------------------

Is it only Motul 300v is ester based?

300v should be in Group 5?

The 8100 oils are as well.

------------------------------------

I think Motul 8100 only has two versions are ester based.

E-Tech lite 0W30 (ester based)
Ester E-Tech 0W-40 (ester based)
Eco-nergy 5W30 (non ester based)
X-cess 5W40 (non ester based)

quote:

Originally posted by bcrl:

Is that you have some reasons that you will pick Amsoil for your first choice instead of others like Mobil 1 or Motul 8100? They are all Group 4 base as far as i know. Is that true?

They are all a mix of group 4&5 but for me I picked Amsoil because of it's proven track record at showing good oil analysis results.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Motul 8100 E-Tech Lite 0W30 - Ester (Group 5)
Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W40 - Ester (Group 5)
Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30 - PAO (Group 4)
Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W40 - PAO (Group 4)

from explanation of this site:
http://motul-lubricants.com/en/faq/faq.shtml?panel=6

"8100 Premium Synthetic is our most advanced synthetic base stock, using Ester and PAO technology, these products surpass the latest Manufactures' Approvals with flying colours, longer drain intervals and fuel economy for maximum efficiency and protection for your investment."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back