Motul 7100 ticking noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last 500 kms I have been using the motul 7100 20w50 oil in my fz16 (4500 kms on the odometer).
The shifter is a pleasure compared to motul 3000 20w50, engine feels smoother and have noticed less vibration in middle and high rpm. In Uruguay it is winter, and it's very noticeable difference in engine starting, with 5 ° C is not necessary to use the choke (or very little) and the engine spins 200 RPM faster than with mineral oil at startup.
But instantly I noticed that the engine is noisier (clattering noise)
I searched for information in the Forum and found many reports about the rattle and Mobil1, but found few complaints about the motul ester oils.
Some of you are using the 7100 20w50 and noticed the engine noisy?
I know that the air-cooled engines are noisy (I have a VW Beetle), but the difference is noticeable.
Should I look for another oil or still using this? (or I wear earplugs and I do not get stressed by the singing of the engine?)

I have noticed some oils are noisier than others myself. In cars I noticed Pennzoil and Quaker State gave me more valve train noice, but in all the Used Oil Analysis tests they always return good wear numbers.

If it bothers you and you have no apparent issues with things like fuel dilution...then change the oil you are using.

"I searched for information in the Forum and found many reports about the rattle and Mobil1, but found few complaints about the motul ester oils."

Doesn't get any more clanky, whirly, clunky, ticky than old air cooled inline fours like my KZ1000, Mobile 1 V-Twin is one of the quiet oils as is Rotella 15W-40 in my bike. But, my engine is fine with most oils once it warms up.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
"I searched for information in the Forum and found many reports about the rattle and Mobil1, but found few complaints about the motul ester oils."

Doesn't get any more clanky, whirly, clunky, ticky than old air cooled inline fours like my KZ1000, Mobile 1 V-Twin is one of the quiet oils as is Rotella 15W-40 in my bike. But, my engine is fine with most oils once it warms up.

Thanks for the responses.
Rotella is not available here, Shell sells Rimula 15W40 in Latin America and is not JASO MA compliant, like the Mobil V-Twin, is not available (and is not JASO MA).
The user manual says 20w50 and JASO MA , and all other synthetics here are 15w50 (mobil 1 racing 4t 15w50, shell advance ultra 15w50...).
Maybe the option is back to mineral oils in this case? o the 15w50 are not far to my motorcycle specs?

The liter of synthetic oil costs 13 to 20 dollars here (20 costs the 300V).
The shell dealer told me by mail that within two months the Ultra will be available, at this time sells AX7 (semisynthetic) to $ 13.
All really expensive.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
how expensive is the shell advance ultra?
i have recommneded that to others that dont live in my country

steve

An update.
An hour ago I consulted to the shell local dealer and informed me that this Friday has available the shell advance ultra 4t 15W50, and the cost is 15 dollars per liter.

What do you think? I can use it on my bike?

If an oil has Allison C4 spec it would be okay to use with a shared sump/wet clutch even if it does not have the JASO spec.

15w50 is just fine in your bike. That oil when hot(15wt) is much thinner than a 15wt at ambient temps.

Originally Posted By: bosterman
Originally Posted By: sunruh
how expensive is the shell advance ultra?
i have recommneded that to others that dont live in my country

steve

An update.
An hour ago I consulted to the shell local dealer and informed me that this Friday has available the shell advance ultra 4t 15W50, and the cost is 15 dollars per liter.

What do you think? I can use it on my bike?

heck yes you can use it!!!
give it a shot when the motul is changed.

Well, I got the shell advance ultra the last Friday, and yesterday I made the change.
A couple of observations. The oil is made in USA, and the dealer told me that it is cheaper and has better quality than oil blended in Brazil.
It is almost colorless, and the smell is very fruity (like almonds and bananas).
Says JASO MA2, but does not have the wafer, and is not in the list published by JASO.
Today I came to my work driving the bike. And the ticking sound magically disappeared, indeed, switched off many other sounds to which I was accustomed to hearing from the first kilometers.
The gearbox feels softer and precise than when was filled with motul, and the clutch engages quickly, and I also noticed a reduction in vibration.
It's feels great.

I feel bad not having laboratories for analysis and have that valuable information.

Cheers and thanks again for your advice.

Blaming oil for noise sounds plausible but conclusions are like the Frog
in the frying pan analogy...

You place a Frog in a cool frying pan and turn up the heat... you tell
the Frog to jump and he leaps clear over the stove...

Next you remove one of the legs and place the Frog back in cool frying
pan and turn up the heat... you tell the Frog to jump and he leaps
half as far onto the stove... conclusion one legged Frog jumps half as
far...

Finally you remove both legs and place a Frog back in a cool frying
pan and turn up the heat... you tell the Frog to jump and nothing
happens... conclusion cut both legs off and the Frog goes deaf...

Yes, I know the sound is there (valve clearance), but some oils seem to dampen it more than others, and at this point of my life I want a smooth ride
smile.gif

I read on the website of shell all has to do with the type and amount of viscosity improvers used. says: "Shell Advance motorcycle oils, AX7 and Ultra, contain viscosity improvers that make them highly shear stable, which helps to dampen vibration and reduce engine noise." (at the bottom of the article: http://www.shell.com/global/products-ser...t-bike/rce.html)
Is a page full of marketing, but I was able to rescue that interesting fact.
I read in other site (I forget where) the ester-base oils require fewer viscosity improvers...
I'm not an expert in oils, but it sounds plausible..

Cheers
Sebastian.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Blaming oil for noise sounds plausible but conclusions are like the Frog
in the frying pan analogy...

You place a Frog in a cool frying pan and turn up the heat... you tell
the Frog to jump and he leaps clear over the stove...

Next you remove one of the legs and place the Frog back in cool frying
pan and turn up the heat... you tell the Frog to jump and he leaps
half as far onto the stove... conclusion one legged Frog jumps half as
far...

Finally you remove both legs and place a Frog back in a cool frying
pan and turn up the heat... you tell the Frog to jump and nothing
happens... conclusion cut both legs off and the Frog goes deaf...

I have had different oil transmit different levels of mechanical noise in several motorcycles. Most notably Mobil1. Redline has been the quietest. Rotella is second. Go figure.

BTW this was noticed on 2 Harleys and one Triumph. All different engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back