Motul 300V with E85 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a while, I am racing a Mitsubishi EVO 9 and have been using Motul 300V 10W40 chrono, am about to tune the car on E85 and have been told that ester based oils are not good with ethanol, if this is the case what would be a good substitute ?

300V Chrono 10w-40 is designed for endurance races. If it can't handle some extra acids, there aren't many that will.

Keep in mind that "ester oil" doesn't tell you much. People generally think it means the base stock is predominantly ester, but really all it means is that the oil contains ester in some form, and that that is an important part of the formulation. There are lots of different kinds of esters and lots of different ways to formulate with them. Even the different 300V oils are formulated differently to meet different goals.

I think you'll be fine. If you're really worried, get a UOA with TBN and TAN tests and use that to inform your decision.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Out of curiosity, why did you select the 10w40? Do you have oil temp & pressure gauges?

Motor is internally stock and running Mivec so thought it best to use a 10W40, and the garage that sponsors me stocks Motul, have a Racepak Dash logging stock perameters and can run oil temp and pressure and probably should just been slack and haven't hooked up sensor.

Originally Posted By: djdino
Originally Posted By: dparm
Out of curiosity, why did you select the 10w40? Do you have oil temp & pressure gauges?

Motor is internally stock and running Mivec so thought it best to use a 10W40, and the garage that sponsors me stocks Motul, have a Racepak Dash logging stock perameters and can run oil temp and pressure and probably should just been slack and haven't hooked up sensor.

Not sure what kind of "racing" your doing with your Evo, But if your running a stock bottom end and stock turbo, you don't need the 40W unless your oil temps are over 100C like all day long. You are losing spool up time running a thicker viscosity which really hurts the evo. If your running an FP Red or Black, then you will need a 40W because I believe FP requires the use of it. I may be wrong, it just may be they require allot of ZDDP, so look into that. I solo II my Evo 9, OEM block and Turbo, Put 320whp on the mustang dyno and I never see 100C plus on the track. In short tracks like Streets, or small solo II courses, you need quick spool up time. Thicker viscosity causes slower spool up times. So unless your oil temps are hot on the track, or your running a built motor, 40W is overkill and may be costing you time on the track IMO.

Additonally, if your running E85 I would use RP XPR 10/40, or Amsoil Dominator 10/30 both of these oils are formulated to hold up quite well with alcohol fuels. I personally ran RP XPR 10/40 in my Evo while running WMI. Help up very well to the alcohol. The XPR 10/40 was specifically designed for use of alcohol type fuels. This is the only 40W oil I would recommend simply for that reason. Otherwise, run a 30W and do some oil tests to check how the oil is holding up.

Last edited:
Sorry to derail this thread a little but I have a lightly modified Evo 8 used on the street and occasional track days and am struggling to choose an appropriate oil.

I am using Mobil1 0W-40, which shears quickly to an SAE30 from the UOA's I've seen, but am considering Amsoil 10W-40 AMO or even German Castrol (Syntec 0W-30). I'm intrigued you think SAE40 is too think for an Evo, sure you may loose some spool but oil temps with the standard oil cooler are around 92*C on a warm day on the street, with many guys seeing track oil temps of 110 - 120*C. You'd be comfortable using an SAE30 oil with those temps? GC is good oil, just thought it was a little thin for an Evo, which is part of what concerns me about the M1 0W-40 I'm using now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back