Motul 300V - New formula for 2021

Looks like Motul reformulated their 300V line. It is expected to show up to select markets starting this month. Can’t wait for the VOA since the biggest change seems to be support of biofuels as well as being safe for particulate filters etc.

Last edited:
What’s the thought of the 300v running ethanol if oil changes are kept to 3000 miles with this new formula? See a lot of people recommending and a few that say stay away due to oxidation. I was using motul sport but it was discontinued this spring and the replacement (motul rep told me motul just changed the name to 8100 power 5-40) is not yet available at fcpeuro. Car is a bmw 340i with upgraded turbo and fuel pump running e50 usually and sees 2 or 3 track days a month during summer months. Was running castrol Edge from wallyworld until I started to take advantage of fcp lifetime replacement policy.

What’s the thought of the 300v running ethanol if oil changes are kept to 3000 miles with this new formula? See a lot of people recommending and a few that say stay away due to oxidation. I was using motul sport but it was discontinued this spring and the replacement (motul rep told me motul just changed the name to 8100 power 5-40) is not yet available at fcpeuro. Car is a bmw 340i with upgraded turbo and fuel pump running e50 usually and sees 2 or 3 track days a month during summer months. Was running castrol Edge from wallyworld until I started to take advantage of fcp lifetime replacement policy.
EThanol as ester is not the best combination. New 300V has more PAO than esters, so if you go that route, do UOA.

Both are basically alcohol. It will dilute oil and lead to oxidation. With tunes like this, always heavy oil and not ester.
So, you’re saying that esters are an alcohol and when combined with ethanol, oxidation issues are exacerbated?

And Group III oils won’t react as badly to ethanol? Interesting.

Both are basically alcohol. It will dilute oil and lead to oxidation. With tunes like this, always heavy oil and not ester.
Seems like it could lead to a bit of transesterification? Not a chemist, just remembering bits from college. I have a feeling it’s not a practical concern. How much ethanol will get into the oil anyway?

Seems like something @Tom NJ would know :).

So you’re saying @High Performance Lubricants doesn’t know what they’re talking about when they’re running esters and their fleet customers are using ethanol?

I specifically asked Dave if the PCEO and No VII series were fine with E85 tunes in my F150 and he assured me the oil would be fine. I’m sure my upcoming UOA will confirm.

So you’re saying @High Performance Lubricants doesn’t know what they’re talking about when they’re running esters and their fleet customers are using ethanol?

I specifically asked Dave if the PCEO and No VII series were fine with E85 tunes in my F150 and he assured me the oil would be fine. I’m sure my upcoming UOA will confirm.
That is agreement among people using ester based oils. 300V specifically (old version, as well as Redline) were diluting a lot using E50 etc.
HPL might addressed issues specific to that tune. If Dave said it will be fine, I would trust him. But you won’t find much love for Ester based oils among that crowd. In addition, every oil is made differently. HPL is not Motul nor Motul is Redline etc.

That is agreement among people using ester based oils. 300V specifically (old version, as well as Redline) were diluting a lot using E50 etc.
HPL might addressed issues specific to that tune. If Dave said it will be fine, I would trust him. But you won’t find much love for Ester based oils among that crowd. In addition, every oil is made differently. HPL is not Motul nor Motul is Redline etc.
Maybe something is lost in translation, but I (and others) are not following.

Are you stating that the ester based oils will negatively with E85 (i.e. high ethanol content), which will then result in rapid oil breakdown?

Ester-based oil is really a marketing term, since you can't have a pure ester basestock oil. it has to be blended with something else, such as Group IV and/or Group III base stocks (iirc, it's compatibility with the additive package). And even then, it's mostly other basestock oil that make up the basestock of the oil

There's no real law that controls how you can call an oil an "ester based" oil, similar to tungsten-filament halogen-Xenon bulbs. As long as you have some amount of Group V ester, then they call it an Ester based oil.

In the case of the 300V, it's a Group III, IV, and V based oil, with the majority of it being Group III and/or IV, depending on the oil

Also, there are many types of esters. Russian Oil Club estimates RL's ester content is 25-30% of the base oil blend. FWIW.

Reactions: 4WD
Ester-based oil is really a marketing term, since you can't have a pure ester basestock oil. it has to be blended with something else, such as Group IV and/or Group III base stocks (iirc, it's compatibility with the additive package). And even then, it's mostly other basestock oil that make up the basestock of the oil

There's no real law that controls how you can call an oil an "ester based" oil, similar to tungsten-filament halogen-Xenon bulbs. As long as you have some amount of Group V ester, then they call it an Ester based oil.

In the case of the 300V, it's a Group III, IV, and V based oil, with the majority of it being Group III and/or IV, depending on the oil
of course, there is no such thing as ester base that is pure or even above 50%. 300V as far as I remember was majority PAO and new version increased that. It had and still has very good ester based content considering KV100 and HTHS relation.

Back