Motorcycle Insurance Bait & Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upsetting to hear that about Dairyland Insurance.
I have used them for going on 20 years without issue. Their rates have been the best I can find and I check rates every 2 years.
I hope you can get your issues resolved in a reasonable matter. If not for sure file a complaint with your state governing agency.

Total loss on the bike at fault yes? Recent too...

You also purchased a spendy Italian bike for a good price. Uncommon model, hard to find parts, a rider that has shown propensity to break bike, etc...

I don't think it's just the accident. It's your combination of bike too.

Anyway you're apparently being dinged an extra $200 after claiming how many thousands of dollars from your previous company? Seems like a good deal to me... You didn't honestly expect a free motorcycle without being made to sit in the corner for a couple of years.

Price will go down a you rack up trouble free miles.

Personally I ditch the collision and check rates on a modelbefore I buy. Some oddball makes have sketchy insurance.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Can you insure through the same company that is underwriting your other vehicles and home owners? I have all of my insurance with State Farm and I ride a 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R. My yearly premium for full coverage on the ZX14R is $146 which I pay $73 every six months.

You're getting poor service with both of these companies and you're right - it takes the pleasure out of the sport.

To be fair, what one is paying really doesn't say much. It depends on what coverages one has included in their policy and where they live. Mine is $223 a year, for my 2017 Triumph Bonnie in Iowa but I also have full coverage with automotive level coverage amounts like 100,000 / 300,000 medical and such along with comprehensive, liability, etc. Mine is with Nationwide.

Actually, considering lowering the level of coverage on the bike policy and supplementing with an umbrella policy that has higher level amount. That combo does more than the single policy and does it cheaper.

Insurance is such a ripoff. Someone should be in jail for that. It is called a quote, not an estimate. To charge a cancellation fee after you change the agreed upon price is just wrong.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
It's getting ridiculous folks. First Markel bait and switched me, now Dairyland has done the same. You be the judge if the following is ethical or if it is worthy of reporting to one's state dept of insurance oversight.

Markel: Online quote, full coverage, last year's accident included in quote, $445. Buy policy online with credit card. Receive policy docs by email following day to sign by e-signature. Says no uninsured motorist coverages even though I selected them in the online quote application, going to cost more money that I just paid-in-full up the annual premium. Called, asked "what the hay?" Was told didn't select the coverages online. Guess should have made a screen shot. Told I want to cancel and not put policy in force, going to look elsewhere, was polite about it. They cancel it. I didn't ask for a confirmation number, my bad. They send a refund check. $395 instead of $445. Ripoff. I'm sure some fine print somewhere said they get to tap you for a fee for early cancellation, still a rip off.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
It's getting ridiculous folks. First Markel bait and switched me, now Dairyland has done the same. You be the judge if the following is ethical or if it is worthy of reporting to one's state dept of insurance oversight.

Markel: Online quote, full coverage, last year's accident included in quote, $445. Buy policy online with credit card. Receive policy docs by email following day to sign by e-signature. Says no uninsured motorist coverages even though I selected them in the online quote application, going to cost more money that I just paid-in-full up the annual premium. Called, asked "what the hay?" Was told didn't select the coverages online. Guess should have made a screen shot. Told I want to cancel and not put policy in force, going to look elsewhere, was polite about it. They cancel it. I didn't ask for a confirmation number, my bad. They send a refund check. $395 instead of $445. Ripoff. I'm sure some fine print somewhere said they get to tap you for a fee for early cancellation, still a rip off.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company.

LoL, you resurrected my old insurance thread
cool.gif

I ended up @ 405/yr with Dairyland, which included a statement on the application acknowledging the total loss, at fault, motorcycle accident earlier that same year i.e. They factored the recent wreck into that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back