Motorcraft synthetic blend still a good option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't kept up with the current formulas oil companies are using. I have a new vehicle with an EcoBoost engine and I see that Ford changed their spec to a B1 on the end of their 5w30 rating. My understanding is that spec changed due to LSPI in turbo direct injection. Motorcraft 5w30 blend is labeled for this new spec. Is this still a good oil choice nowadays?

Last edited:
For the same price you can get better oils. You will get tons of options based on your question. PP, QSUD, Rotella Gas Truck, those are good options for the same price as motorcraft, IMO a better oil too.

Yes and after thousands of hours if useage on nothing but bulk API SN 5W30 which was contracted at the lowest bidder and the Ecoboost trucks are still running with no oil related failure Motorcraft is better than it's needs to be to protect and lubercate.

Our local Ford dealer does an oil change/filter/topoff & rotation for around $30. All MC parts. At that price it's easier to let them do it.

It's like Nissan Ester Oil, yeah it gets the job done but using it for a 7-10k mile run is a bad idea and for what you are paying for it there are products that protect the engine better for extended OCI's and more "spirited" driving, like anhy synthetic from Supertech to Mobil1 to Pennzoil to Castrol literally any of them.

As mentioned, it is still a good oil, but not a good value like it used to be 6-7 years ago.

One of the bonuses of Motorcraft of old was it was a blend being sold at the price of conventional, but now conventional is pretty much a blend.
Motorcraft also is priced in the synthetic price range at Walmart.
Seems it is almost $20/5 qt jug for Motorcraft blend, yet Quaker State, Magnatec and Supertech (all synthetic) are the same price or cheaper, and meet the same specs. Mobil 1 and PP can be even cheaper with rebates if you watch for it.

Originally Posted by blupupher
As mentioned, it is still a good oil, but not a good value like it used to be 6-7 years ago.

One of the bonuses of Motorcraft of old was it was a blend being sold at the price of conventional, but now conventional is pretty much a blend.
Motorcraft also is priced in the synthetic price range at Walmart.
Seems it is almost $20/5 qt jug for Motorcraft blend, yet Quaker State, Magnatec and Supertech (all synthetic) are the same price or cheaper, and meet the same specs. Mobil 1 and PP can be even cheaper with rebates if you watch for it.

Yes and those other oils you mention are just so much easier to find along with the fact I've never seen a rebate on Motorcraft.

Thanks for all of the replies. I run a shop so I can get some of these oils at wholesale cost. I like theidea of running mc just because it's a Ford.

If I could get it cheap i would run it as its a ford product and i agree with that statement, but as it stands now there are too many on the shelf for much better value. 19.22 a jug here for synblend motorcraft that noone has any numbers on and how much of a blend is a blend ya know. So for instance Pennzoil Platinum for $22ish dollars a jug and with a $10 rebate per jug and people have a good idea on numbers and its a full synthetic that just sells itself to me. Mobil 1, valvoline and whatever else on your shelf is simply cheaper, and when your at walmarts getting ground beef and coffee I tend to walk through the man isle first by habbit....

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
For the same price you can get better oils. You will get tons of options based on your question. PP, QSUD, Rotella Gas Truck, those are good options for the same price as motorcraft, IMO a better oil too.

1978elcamino is 100% correct
Lots of better choices than MC
I'm a diehard Ford guy, but I never use MC oils or lubes

And before you ask why
MC oils are a low cost contract bid oil that meets the requirement
ConocoPhillips has made Ford lubes for years as far as we can tell
Nothing special about their products

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

1978elcamino is 100% correct
Lots of better choices than MC
I'm a diehard Ford guy, but I never use MC oils or lubes

And before you ask why
MC oils are a low cost contract bid oil that meets the requirement
ConocoPhillips has made Ford lubes for years as far as we can tell

+1

Originally Posted by kstanf150

.....ConocoPhillips has made Ford lubes for years as far as we can tell

I can't speak for Motorcraft oils, because I've never used them. But with all due respect, I've used Phillips 66 motor oils since the late 80's, and I've always been happy with them.

I suggest to the OP to take a look at Kendall syn-blends, and full synthetic oils.

I've had outstanding results from Phillips 66 Guardol ECT 15W40 and 10W30 in my semi truck. I also used Phillips 66 HD-II 15W40 in two Ford diesel pickups, and Trop Artic for many years in gasoline engines, and both performed flawlessly.

I use Kendall GT-1 Max in my wife's Dodge Journey, and it's doing a great job.

I buy Phillips 66 HDEOs and Kendall motor oil from local distributors for a lower price per quart than Walmart's price per quart of PP in the 5 quart jugs, -not including rebates.

In my humble opinion, Phillips 66 makes very good engine lubricants.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Is this still a good oil choice nowadays?

Ford engineers have chosen this specification of oil, along with Ford's MotorCraft filters, to ensure that the engine does not suffer oil & filter related catastrophic failure within the warranty period. Ford engineers have also decided, based upon the combination of this specified oil and filter combination, what the oil change interval for your car's engine should be. In theory, if you follow the Ford's recommended service, your vehicle's engine should be fine for 5 years, or 60,000 miles, which is the powertrain warranty.

Everyone else will have different recommendations, some based upon fact, some based upon personal bias, some based upon misinformation.

Know that no matter what you choose, the oil & filter combination will not guarantee that your engine will last forever. With that being said, yes, there are better oils & filters. This is the part where everybody believes they know which oil & filter works best. This is also the part where some people will simply tell you to ignore the OEM recommended oil change interval, and change the oil every 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, or whatever. Then other people will tell you to ignore the OEM recommended oil change interval, used XXX brand oil with XXX brand filters, and extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles, 15,000 miles, a year, et cetera.

Like a lot of people, you want your engine to last beyond 60,000 miles or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back