Motorcraft green coolant-?is it Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by PFP:
I've noticed that the packaging for MC green is identical to Havoline green, same color of container, same shape and markings. Havoline is half the price at my local auto parts place. It's website says it is low silicate and meets the Ford green spec. Are these one and the same coolants? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Paul

As long as it meets the same specs, who cares, at half the price go for it.

I've noticed that the packaging for MC green is identical to Havoline green, same color of container, same shape and markings. Havoline is half the price at my local auto parts place. It's website says it is low silicate and meets the Ford green spec. Are these one and the same coolants? Anyone know?

Thanks,
Paul

Can one simply compare the ingredients listed on the back of a coolant container to determine if a store brand coolant is equivalent to a dealer supplied coolant?

The reason I ask is because my wife's '97 Expedition used plain old green ethylene glycol anti-freeze. The stuff costs $13/gallon at the dealer. I can get the O'Reilly brand coolant for less than half that.

It's been my experience that the "cheaper" brands actually perform just as well (or better) as the "name" brands. The blenders they sell to require them to meet the same specifications and performance levels as the name brands.

Yes, Texaco is the vendor for Motorcraft Green as well as the little used by Ford (99 and newer Cougar only) Motorcraft Orange (same as DexCool, or DexCool with a Ford label).

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Can one simply compare the ingredients listed on the back of a coolant container to determine if a store brand coolant is equivalent to a dealer supplied coolant?

The reason I ask is because my wife's '97 Expedition used plain old green ethylene glycol anti-freeze. The stuff costs $13/gallon at the dealer. I can get the O'Reilly brand coolant for less than half that.

In general, I would say "yes" if the ingredient concentrations and specs are the same. The auto industry does not screw around (too much!) and it doesn't matter if you are Valvoline or Bob's House of Coolants, you still have to put out a good product. The only instances I can assure you where you might find something that would underperform when comparing it to a different brand would be if the "superior" brand was still under patent. I have never seen this in my experience, though.

quote:

Originally posted by CoolantChemist:
In general, I would say "yes" if the ingredient concentrations and specs are the same. The auto industry does not screw around (too much!) and it doesn't matter if you are Valvoline or Bob's House of Coolants, you still have to put out a good product. The only instances I can assure you where you might find something that would underperform when comparing it to a different brand would be if the "superior" brand was still under patent. I have never seen this in my experience, though.

I've been an owner of several Japanese-make cars. I'd love to find an equivalent product, but there is none. I have the feeling that there's nothing terribly special about the non-silicate, high phosphate coolant sold by Japanese-make car dealers other than no auto parts stores stock anything like it. The trend seems to be towards "universal" products rather than the simple, but specialized coolants for Japanese and European cars.

I'm just wondering why companies like Prestone or Peak don't market a "Japanese car formula" for non-extended life applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back