Motorcraft Full Synthetic vs Blend???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2015 F-150 5.0 last year with about 28k miles on it. For the life of me I cannot remember if my last oil change was Motorcraft's Full Sythetic vs Blend.

Ford calls for 5W20. For a daily driver that I'd like to last a very long time, should I go with Motorcrafts Full Synthetic or Blend?

Also, should I go by mileage or by Ford's oil life % meter on my dash? From what I've read, they are very accurate

The IOLM on my 3.7 was dead on accurate ( meaning lubricating well but used up) when I ran it all the way down to the "change oil" light. (5%) I did that twice.

Running it down to the 20% line (about 7k Miles for me) is plenty conservative enough in my opinion.

Based on the oil analyses I did, it would be hard to imagine better lubrication numbers from a synthetic. You can get it done for cheap enough at the Ford Quicklane place.

Ford's oil life monitor is fairly conservative. You should be absolutely okay with following it.

You don't have to use Ford Motorcraft oil & filter. You can use any brand you want. Just use oil which meets spec. I've used a lot of different brands of oil in Ford vehicles, and none of them had problems. It sounds like you want to "use the best" so that you can keep your truck around for a very long time. But that doesn't ean that you need to spend a fortune on high priced motor oil. A Ford engine will do just fine with motor oil which does not cost as much.

The Ford iOLM is conservative and if you want to use another brand other than Motorcraft it is fine. All of the oils frim major blenders and most if not all store brands are better then needed by Ford specs.

Thanks for the reply's.

I understand that obviously I can use other brands, I've used Mobil 1 and Pennzoil for years.

Right now I'm just asking about Full Synthetic vs Blend? Motorcraft, because that is most likely what I will go with as from what I'm reading Ford engineers have put in A LOT of research with their suppliers

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JCway16
Right now I'm just asking about Full Synthetic vs Blend? Motorcraft, because that is most likely what I will go with as from what I'm reading Ford engineers have put in A LOT of research with their suppliers

That engine specs WSS-M2C945-A. Motorcraft synthetic blend meets that spec.

As for how much research Ford has with oil suppliers, the 5.0L engine isn't exactly new technology with ground-breaking oil requirements.... As others have repeated to you, dozens of oil brands will meet or exceed Ford's spec and will be just fine.

I wonder if the new 5.0 is as forgiving of oil choice/selection as the venerable 4.6 is... those things will run forever on almost anything

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

That engine specs WSS-M2C945-A. Motorcraft synthetic blend meets that spec..

Some over the counter conventional oil formulations also meet that specification. And motor oil from Amazon and Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back