Motorcraft FL820S cut open

This was on my 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. Ran for 5,000km with liqui moly 0W30 special tec. Saw lots of cold starts and a lot of warm-up time.

Filter was bought from the parts counter at my local ford dealer last october.

Not as bad as the last motorcraft filter i had on my truck. The filter definitely did its job, but the wavy pleats aren't exactly confidence-inspiring. I'll probably be sticking with wix filters moving forward.

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

This was on my 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. Ran for 5,000km with liqui moly 0W30 special tec. Saw lots of cold starts and a lot of warm-up time.

Filter was bought from the parts counter at my local ford dealer last october.

Not as bad as the last motorcraft filter i had on my truck. The filter definitely did its job, but the wavy pleats aren't exactly confidence-inspiring. I'll probably be sticking with wix filters moving forward.

View attachment 214050

View attachment 214054
View attachment 214055
View attachment 214056

Pretty ugly but didn’t tear. Good job using a better filter. Nice photos. Thank You.

Oh no ... get out the wavy pleat crying towel. ;) 😄 At least it didn't tear like many FL820S have.

How easy is it to break off/remove any black excess glue on the end caps if it's there?

Oh no ... get out the wavy pleat crying towel. ;) 😄 At least it didn't tear like many FL820S have.

How easy is it to break off/remove any black excess glue on the end caps if it's there?

True…

But the waviness of these 820s is rather shall we say…. Legendary.

Guaranblankingtee XL Premium Guard filter would look way, way better than this.

Not bad / not great for the mileage. It worked. If the oil on the can is any indication that oil/filter was ready.

There was some here and there. Not difficult at all.

And it only has 3,106.856 miles on it.
3,000 miles or five months worth of cold-starting in -20 to -40 degree mornings with 2-5 min of warm up time and leaving it running if i'm making a quick stop somewhere. Typical winter in Saskatchewan.

I'm not sure if the cold starts are anything to consider for oil life, but the extra idle time is definitely a factor. A lot of people here will do a shorter interval in the winter because of exactly this.

3,000 miles or five months worth of cold-starting in -20 to -40 degree mornings with 2-5 min of warm up time and leaving it running if i'm making a quick stop somewhere. Typical winter in Saskatchewan.

I'm not sure if the cold starts are anything to consider for oil life, but the extra idle time is definitely a factor. A lot of people here will do a shorter interval in the winter because of exactly this.
That use pattern is definitely hard on the oil and filter. Oil probably never gets to full temp for long, and that will result in more combustion blow-by products in the oil that don't "burn-off" as easily or as much.

The sloppy glue and how easy it comes off isn't good, and why I stopped using Motorcraft filters.

There was some here and there. Not difficult at all.

Seems like a good plan, there has to be a lot of fuel dilution.

Back