Motorcraft FL400S cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
I just started using the local Ford Fast Lane and now have three vehicles with the MC filters.
smile.gif

I have been using MC filters for many years with good results. Makes me wonder why someone would take a NEW filter and cut it apart to see if it is defective. OCD maybe, but how can you trust any filter without cutting it apart first, then what do you have?
Good point.

I can tell you why. I read enough meaningless reviews and came to the conclusion that if I wanted to know the answer, I would have to look. To do that efficiently, I bought a filter cutter. One of my favorite Motorcraft FL-820S filters was sitting in my drain pan as I wanted to see how long the ADBV would hold. So, I thought I would try that out on the new cutter. What I found was this.

2aeuxu.jpg

k9tnpz.jpg

So, I started looking more closely at the new Motorcraft FL-820S that I had in the stash.

It does not appear Motorcraft or Purolator has a fix for FL-820S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
WOW .. Too bad the Fram xg-2 is a little on the longer side because i would definitely be using the ultra on my moms Mercury Grand Marquis like i am doing with most of my other vehicles problem is there is almost no room to maneuver the filter so i am stuck with a Motorcraft built by tearolater.

The Wix 51372 will fit Mercury Grand Marquis. I just put one on a 2002 Grand Marquis at Christmas time.

Originally Posted By: Todari09
Wow, I'm quite disappointed by the responses here.
I saw someone posted FL820S cut open with not so good quality so, I thought I would open up one of my FL400S I have been using on my car and my riding mower.
BTW, I have FL400s still on my car and mower and won't pull them out until next oil change
I didn't expect this kind of firestorm again my first post.
crazy.gif

You will soon learn that:

1) If it's a Purolator made filter (regardless of brand) that has torn media, popped off end caps or a torn ADBV that it's just fine to use because continuously bypassing dirty oil "never hurt anything".

2) That continuous reports of bad quality and failed Purolator products over the last ~2 years is all make up by "planted shills" from the competition.

3) That if one failed filter of any other brand is shown, then that whole brand sucks. Yet over 100 reported failures of a certain brand is all a hallucination and a conspiracy, of purposely caused by the other brand shills doing thier dirty work.

All I can do at this point is ...
crackmeup2.gif

The end caps are metal ... just hard to tell in the photo. Looks like the edges are covered with the black goo potting material.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I saw someone posted FL820S cut open with not so good quality so, I thought I would open up one of my FL400S I have been using on my car and my riding mower.
BTW, I have FL400s still on my car and mower and won't pull them out until next oil change
crazy.gif

1) If it's a Purolator made filter (regardless of brand) that has torn media, popped off end caps or a torn ADBV that it's just fine to use because continuously bypassing dirty oil "never hurt anything".

2) That continuous reports of bad quality and failed Purolator products over the last ~2 years is all make up by "planted shills" from the competition.

3) That if one failed filter of any other brand is shown, then that whole brand sucks. Yet over 100 reported failures of a certain brand is all a hallucination and a conspiracy, of purposely caused by the other brand shills doing thier dirty work.

crackmeup2.gif

+1

I have not quite assimilated this yet!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
Anyway i have never had a failed motorcraft.

I suggest you search and will find there have been failed Motorcrafts, including an example in this thread. As for jobless people, I have a feeling that some people in Purolator are working far, far above their pay grade, for some reason, or the QA positions have been eliminated.

I'm surprised Ford hasn't back speced the 500s to all the 820s applications and dropped the 820.

crackmeup2.gif

That pretty much sums it up.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Manofsteel
Anyway i have never had a failed motorcraft.

I suggest you search and will find there have been failed Motorcrafts, including an example in this thread. As for jobless people, I have a feeling that some people in Purolator are working far, far above their pay grade, for some reason, or the QA positions have been eliminated.

I'll actually continue to judge by my own use and experience. As I've said, to this day it's never been problematic.

You have a feeling? Ok thanks for sharing lol. I'd ask where the feeling is at but I'm too afraid of hearing some of the possible answers.

I ran many Bosch Premiums. I'd never know if I had a failure, which would include media tearing, because I don't cut open my filters. I appreciate each and every time someone here cuts open a new or used filter here for those of us who do not or cannot. So, yes, one can say that I never experienced a filter failure, since I cannot prove that I had media that tore. But, given what we've been shown here, I didn't like the odds (nor the availability), so I'm done with the product.

By your logic (and that of all the apologists), Frams don't have fibre or cardboard end caps. I've never cut open a Fram, and only go by what people on here have shown us. Therefore, I can conclude that BITOG people have inexplicably all bought Fram orange and grey cans that have had fibre end caps. I've never run a Fram oil filter, much less cut one open, so the existence of fibre end caps is internet amplification. So, until I run a bunch of orange cans, and cut them all open and see cardboard end caps, it's just internet hysteria.

If my Bosch filters tore or didn't tear, I have no evidence. A tear in the media is probably going to be asymptomatic and isn't going to destroy an engine; I suspect this is Purolator's QA's mantra (if they still have any QC people). I, however, expect my oil filters to retain their structural integrity. As I said before, this is filter media, not a stale cookie. Considering Purolator's response to this whole issue, why don't they post what I said right on their box?

"A tear in the media is probably going to be asymptomatic and isn't going to destroy an engine." I'll let them copyright the phrase and waive all royalties. I dare them. They have the room, since they got rid of the efficiency blurb, right?

Manofsteel: I haven't ran any Purolator filters or "made by Purolator" filters either. I have though cut quite a few that were ran less than the OCI that tore. That's enough info and real world failures for
Me

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

crackmeup2.gif

That pretty much sums it up.

What cracks me up is that the folks saying the tears are "made up" actually think this forum contributes to the majority of world wide filter sales.

Oh yes.. The
Lets all put on tin foil hats and hold hands around a torn Purolator with 2500 miles on it. Remember guys, Elvis is still alive, we never landed on the moon, the Earth is flat etc.

I do find it funny that a sad Fram will get ripped on, but if it is a Purolator, it was simply cut open wrong... Hypocrisy is the thing these days I guess.

The Purolator guys can't call me a fanboy either.. I am running 2 Frams out of the 11 engines (that take filters) I service.

Fram EG
WIX (2)
Microgard
M1
Mahle
Mann
Kubota OEM (2)
Tokyo Roki
Fram XG (it is a duel carb'd straight 6.. I wanted wire backing!
laugh.gif
)

crazy.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Well put. I'm waiting for the Purolator fan boys to state number 1. The only other thing you forgot (and this could be number 4) is that the o/p isn't a certified filter cutter and/or used the wrong tools to cut the filter open.
smile.gif

I open mine up so I can see for myself and so far I've never had a failed filter of any sort or from any manufacturer. I'll cut another purolator classic open and a m1 in a few days. Bet they r both fine. Not just glued together paper lol like another manufacturer I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back