motorcraft filters thought i would share

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 93 f150 with 176k miles or so. its been a little noisey at start up till the oil gets around. ive used wix,napa gold, k&n, mobil one , fram, and recently royal purple oil filters to try to help with this. i read alot of good about motorcraft oil filters. so i finally tried one it made a difference the noise stopped at start up. highly recommend motorcraft oil filters for ford products.
just thought i would share

p.s. my oil pressure incresed too. i had the biggest oil pressure drop with the royal purple oil filter. myabe it filters too good

Last edited:
I used to use Fram and Super Tech on my Crown Vic and always had startup rattle. Switching to Motorcraft made it disappear. Now Motorcraft is all I will use.

Higher or lower oil pressure is not a good indicator of oil flow or lubrication. You can have high restriction in the oil filter causing high pressure but have low flow. You can also have great flow with little restriction causing low pressure...
wink.gif

the pressure wasnt significant. i drive my truck 150+ miles a day so i know it pretty well . its got a dummy indicator with normal across it. it was running between the o and r. sometimes it would get down to the middle of the o. now it is consistantly in between the r and m. i changed oils too that might have a little something to do with it but the oil weight is the same. cut open the royal purple filter it only had about 2k miles on it and it was suprisingly well built and clean but almost too much filter elemt which can cause restriction of oil flow. probably very minimal but the more dense the element the more restrictive it is. i'm sure there is a happy medium.

I had a 99 F150 4.2 V6. I tried a supertech flt and all was well for first 2000 miles. Then one morning I got a little rattle on start. Scared the wizz out of me. The rattle kept up for a week or so on cold starts. Realizing it might be a flt problem I changed the flt to a MC. End of rattle and Supertech filters.

Same here with MC with my 95 Ranger 2.3 4cyl. Used a Fram once - start up noise, back to MC (made by Purolator FL1A)- no noise and instant oil pressure. Back to MC.

You can't beat MC filters for Fords. Silicone ADV, a ton of media and a great bypass valve.

Great filters at a great price. A no brainer for FMC products. It's assured to meet all applicable OEM requirements for aftermarket filters. All others can only claim to meet or exceed the performance spec's.

I use the FL-400S for my Sl2 (Over sized) and works very well. Highly Recommended, No start up tap, Really good filtration, and holds a little more oil the the stock size, so more engine oil in my little 1.9. 4.3 Qts.. Better then the orange can TG. :D and cheaper.

Motorcraft oil filters are brilliant. I used to use an FL-811 on my truck, until I could no longer find it. Then I switched to a WIX 51334 filter.

best filter for ford products your crazy if you use anything else if you drive a ford. your wasting your money

My only concern is the MC media ends should have the metal clip (not just glue) like the FRAMs I have seen.

This would likely keep me away from a 10-12K mile FCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back