Motorcraft Filter Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my Ford dealer today and found an oil filter marketing brochure in the service department. It stated that Motorcraft oil filters have "targeted removal of 80% or more of particles larger than 20 microns from your oil."

Aside from the fact that this is the 1st time I've ever seen any performance data reported by Ford about their oil filters, I had a hard time figuring out whether the numbers Ford reports (and the way it is stated) is good, average or poor filtering performance. There was no source or industry reference cited for the figures.

They also reported similar data for air, fuel and cabin air filters. Air filters: "98.5 percent efficient in keeping course dust out of your engine." Fuel filters: "Remove over 90 percent of the particles larger than 20 microns from your fuel." Cabin air: "Rated over 90% efficient in the reduction of dirt and dust accumulation..."

The brochure carried a 2004 copywrite date on it, so the data is probably current.

Conversely, that means the filter PASSES 20% of the particles larger than 20 micron.

Kinda like saying a food is 94% fat-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back