Motorcraft Dex-cool vs Zerox Dex-cool

I was speaking to a Valvoline rep today they said Motorcraft had a problem with their Dex-cool and switched over to yellow, but their is not a problem with Zerox Dex-cool. Does anyone know if this is true or false? I have a 2013 Ford Edge, that has Motorcraft Dex-cool in it now. That ford serviced over 5yrs ago for the previous owner. Has anyone ever used another Dex-cool with no issues?
Thank you..

You will get anecdotal theories from both sides of the argument. Ford was very much against dexcool like coolants from the beginning. Ford tested dexcool and determined it wasn’t worth the risk for plastic components back then (late 1990’s).

Fast forward to the 2010 timeframe, Ford began using a dexclone coolant and later started having high warranty costs due to clogged and leaky heater cores. Mainly in the Ford Transit, however, the F Series pickup has also had some heater core issues with their dexclone coolant.

AFAIK Ford hasn’t come out and said if it’s a heater core design/quality issue, or if it’s a coolant issue. Ford has since stopped using their dexclone in new models and switched over to what appears to be Preston AMAM Corguard.

My opinion? I’ve used Prestone AMAM in every vehicle I own and never had one issue.

I would but very little value in that story the Valvoline rep is spinning you. Dex-cool is Dex-cool, they all meet the same standard so who makes it is irrelevant. The heater core issue is related to very modern CAB aluminum brazing process (that's used in the Transit van's heater core) that didn't exist in 2013, so with a 2013 Edge you don't need to worry. Which coolant or Dex-cool brand you choose is up to you, but worrying over Dex-cool brand A versus B is a pointless exercise.

You will get anecdotal theories from both sides of the argument. Ford was very much against dexcool like coolants from the beginning. Ford tested dexcool and determined it wasn’t worth the risk for plastic components back then (late 1990’s).
fomoco of america came to their senses and dumped G05 with the advent of "one ford". ford super plus 10 year coolant was adopted in all vehicles made outside of north america for the 1999 model year and proved to be unproblematic.

super plus\specialty orange was replaced with a POAT formula to protect flux-brazed aluminum heat exchangers. VW and Volvo have also procured new coolants from BASF for the same reason.

Last edited:
No reason not to use the yellow! It's not that much more expensive for the concentrate ($32 for a gallon at my local dealer). The Dexcool issues stem from the chemistry so there's no reason that the Zerox wouldn't have the same issues as the Motorcraft. While the absolute risk of the Dexcool destroying your system is small, it doesn't make sense to save the extra ten bucks for a service that has to be done only every five years or so.

Switch that Edge over to Prestone Cor-Guard. The latest Ford fill back-speced for speciality green and orange coolants.
I think I'm going to go ahead and just go with this coolant, it's has served it well all this time.. with no issues. And what I understand, the main reason why they stopped it was because of issues with the transit.. It has 110k and it's already been serviced twice this will be the third time..
Thanks everybody for the responses..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-200435.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-200435.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210818-200232.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-200232.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 32

Fast forward to the 2010 timeframe, Ford began using a dexclone coolant and later started having high warranty costs due to clogged and leaky heater cores. Mainly in the Ford Transit, however, the F Series pickup has also had some heater core issues with their dexclone coolant.

AFAIK Ford hasn’t come out and said if it’s a heater core design/quality issue, or if it’s a coolant issue. Ford has since stopped using their dexclone in new models and switched over to what appears to be Preston AMAM Corguard.

My opinion? I’ve used Prestone AMAM in every vehicle I own and never had one issue.
Cooling system issues in Ford trucks is news to me. Are we sure they were actual issues or were they just user error?

Cooling system issues in Ford trucks is news to me. Are we sure they were actual issues or were they just user error?

the transit was the first to have problems because it was their first vehicle with a flux brazed core, the f150 problems came later. same reason why VW just upgraded.

in the 20 years dexcool was in service with ford there were no issues before the mk8 transit

Last edited:
There's actually a TSB out for the F-150 to flush the orange stuff out and replace it with the yellow because it clogs up the heater core in low temperatures.

Last edited:
Pretty much says right there, for my vehicle either use yellow, orange or a mixture of both.. and me personally I rather not mix both.. Thanks..

Back