motorcraft 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to all,
Im new here and have a question,I own a 93 ranger with a 4.0L engine,a work horse.
It sees lots of off road accion,lots of stop and go driving and some towing.
It has 120,000 and does not burn any oil.I live in San Diego,CA.

I want my engine to last a long,long time and I take good care of it.
Would using a diesel 15w-40 hurt anything?is it beneficial?last oil change I used motorcraft 15w-40 and I hear no strange noises at all.
Is it wise to keep using it?or should I go back to regular gas oil?
Also,Which is the best 15w-40?

motorcraft
penzzoil
delo 400
chevron
castrol

Any help is aprecciated,thanks

Motorcraft 15w-40 surely oughta' work OK in any older Ford Truck, especially one with 120K...

Delo IS Chevron. Delvac is also a good oil.

PeNNzoil LongLife 15W-40 is a fine oil for both gas & diesel applications.

Castrol must make a 15W-40 product, but why look for it when Delo & P'zoil LongLife are usually available on the cheap?

In your application I would opine that a reasonable (4-5K?) oil change interval is more important than the brand of 15W-40 you use.

Just IMHO
cheers.gif

Eec:

There is an analysis of the Motorcraft 15W-40 in the VOA section, also one for the Pennzoil Long Life, the Chevron Delo 400 you mention, and several others. Just judging from the VOAs posted, the Valvoline Premium Blue (which is the factory fill in the Dodge Ram/Cummins diesels) looks to contain a decent additive package. I bought all they had left when they closed it out at my local Wal-mart for $1/qt and am running some in a Volvo 740 turbo now. I believe others have posted on this forum that the Pennzoil and Chevron 15W-40 diesel oils start with superior base stocks, however.

eec_tec, I think Motorcraft 15W-40 is a great choice of oil for a high mileage older vehicle. It should work very well and it is safe to use in your vehicle. The the first time you use a diesel rated oil API CI-4 or CH-4 it would be a good idea to not go too long before the next oil change as your oil may be removing some of the crud built-up in your motor. I would change out the oil no latter than about 3,000 miles and then after the first oil change using Motorcraft 15W-40 you could probably change the oil every 4,000-5,000 miles or every six months.

welcome.gif

[ July 16, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thank you for the input guys,
BTW all these oils are available to me NP.
but the motorcraft is 1.37 QT,
less expensive than the others.
Thanks again

I have a 1996 F-150 with a 302 V8, I bought this new. From new to 100K I ran Motorcraft 10-30 and Fl-1A filters. From 100K to present which now just hit **300K** I have only used Motorcraft 15-40 and the same FL-1A filters. Oil gets changed once a month and milage on oil ranges from 4000 to 5000 miles on average sometimes higher miles above 5000. Truck is basically running non stop for 10 to 12 hours a day. Lots of fully loaded WOT blasts, extended idleling in city traffic and lots of high speed highway driving with full loads, basically gets the snot run out of it. I refuse to get rid of this truck. I hope the new set of work trucks we have with 4.6 and 5.4 engines hold up just as well. We will run the factory recommended 5-20 until the warranty expires (wont take long) and then switch to 10-30. Then 15-40 as miles get above 100K. Currently Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco. I forgot to add we change the air filters every two months along with the fuel filters. ***This truck never had the engine torn into for whatever reason***. So I say go ahead and use the Motorcraft 15-40 I feel it is a good oil. But then again I think any of the big name oils in 15-40 grade would have just done as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back