Motor Warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
BuickGN,

I have been asleep until now and have just read your posts. I apologize that the rainbow in my signature offends you. I will not take it down however until next week as we are celebrating Gay pride here and that's important to me and I have posted it for this week.

The same way that Christians have the little fish symbols on the back of their cars I have a Rainbow sticker on my license plate I don't see why I can't express who I am as a person when someone of a Christian faith can.

It's not to advertise sexual "preference/behavior", it's to show strength in number as a community and to celebrate how long we have been prosecution free.

I pitty you for thinking that it's a "Behavior" or "Preference" because it is not. I assure you the only behavior or preference I exhibit is to live open and freely and without hiding who I am. The nature that makes me this way is hard wired in my brain and I have known since an early age as I'm sure others who are in this community on this board have. We just choose not to live open/freely because of people who feel the need to prosecute us and shove their beliefs down our throats etc. (not saying you are that type, and I appreciate that you are not)

As for who asked, if you read the thread in the Photo-Section it came up in conversation and was started there... That's why I was open about it.

Some some food for thought... The gay-wiring is not only present in humans, but has been found in every species of animal known to exist. There is also evidence of its existence well before Jesus walked the earth so I don't know how you can claim it's a "preference" or "behavior" as these would no doubt be shaped by the environment/time in which you live no? Yet this "wiring" has existed in the population as far back as record have been kept so don't you think there is more to it?

Now lets get this thread back on track so it doesn't get locked for the OP. If you want to talk more lets take it offline and via PM.

If I put a fish in my signature I would be asked to take it down or be booted off of here. As usual you guys get special rights.

I don't care about your argument that this behavior has been going on since the beginning of time. So has murder. How does that make it ok?

Serial killers are hardwired the way they are so that doesn't make it any better, both are a behavior no matter what the mechanism.

Regardless, I don't care about this debate but I don't want to see that signature all over this board or I will have an equally offensive one today.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Normal - Summer like conditions: Start, wait a few seconds and go, drive easily (not like grandma) until engine is up to temperature.

Cold - Winter like conditions: Start and wait 30 seconds for oil to circulate and go, drive easily (not like grandma) until the engine is up to temperature.

+1

I agree Pete,the problem is trying to drive like Grand-Ma around here will get you killed!!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
BuickGN,

I have been asleep until now and have just read your posts. I apologize that the rainbow in my signature offends you. I will not take it down however until next week as we are celebrating Gay pride here and that's important to me and I have posted it for this week.

The same way that Christians have the little fish symbols on the back of their cars I have a Rainbow sticker on my license plate I don't see why I can't express who I am as a person when someone of a Christian faith can.

It's not to advertise sexual "preference/behavior", it's to show strength in number as a community and to celebrate how long we have been prosecution free.

I pitty you for thinking that it's a "Behavior" or "Preference" because it is not. I assure you the only behavior or preference I exhibit is to live open and freely and without hiding who I am. The nature that makes me this way is hard wired in my brain and I have known since an early age as I'm sure others who are in this community on this board have. We just choose not to live open/freely because of people who feel the need to prosecute us and shove their beliefs down our throats etc. (not saying you are that type, and I appreciate that you are not)

As for who asked, if you read the thread in the Photo-Section it came up in conversation and was started there... That's why I was open about it.

Some some food for thought... The gay-wiring is not only present in humans, but has been found in every species of animal known to exist. There is also evidence of its existence well before Jesus walked the earth so I don't know how you can claim it's a "preference" or "behavior" as these would no doubt be shaped by the environment/time in which you live no? Yet this "wiring" has existed in the population as far back as record have been kept so don't you think there is more to it?

Now lets get this thread back on track so it doesn't get locked for the OP. If you want to talk more lets take it offline and via PM.

If I put a fish in my signature I would be asked to take it down or be booted off of here. As usual you guys get special rights.

I don't care about your argument that this behavior has been going on since the beginning of time. So has murder. How does that make it ok?

Serial killers are hardwired the way they are so that doesn't make it any better, both are a behavior no matter what the mechanism.

Regardless, I don't care about this debate but I don't want to see that signature all over this board or I will have an equally offensive one today.

BuickGN to show you I'm the bigger man, I have taken it down to appease you and to avoid conflict. Don't think I'm backing down, because I'm not, I just don't feel like fighting and want this to remain a board free of conflict on a personal level.

I pray that one day you will see the light of reason and truly understand our community.

The same way you are wired Hetero, I'm wired the opposite. I can't help it (nor do I want to) and that doesn't make it wrong, what's wrong is you thinking it's wrong IMO... But who's to say who is right? We will have to wait to meet our maker and ask him why!
thumbsup2.gif

Have a nice day.
cheers3.gif

BuickGN,

BuickGN to show you I'm the bigger man, I have taken it down to appease you and to avoid conflict. Don't think I'm backing down, because I'm not, I just don't feel like fighting and want this to remain a board free of conflict on a personal level.

I pray that one day you will see the light of reason and truly understand our community.

The same way you are wired Hetero, I'm wired the opposite. I can't help it (nor do I want to) and that doesn't make it wrong, what's wrong is you thinking it's wrong IMO... But who's to say who is right? We will have to wait to meet our maker and ask him why!
thumbsup2.gif

Have a nice day.
cheers3.gif

That's very respectful and I thank you for it.

You know, I used to/ occasionally party in Hollywood and I modeled for a couple years for a major jeans company so I've been around the community and I accept it and I'm polite I just don't think it belongs here. That was my only point.

Some mornings my girlfriend will jump in her car,hit the key,and have that poor Olds in reverse headed out our driveway before the starter even has a chance to stop turning the motor,ouch!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Some mornings my girlfriend will jump in her car,hit the key,and have that poor Olds in reverse headed out our driveway before the starter even has a chance to stop turning the motor,ouch!!!!!!

Sounds like my GF!!! I'm always on her to let the thing idle for at least 10-20 seconds in the warmer weather, but she still just takes off when she thinks I'm not around. The problem I have with her in the winter is the opposite extreme, she has a da#n remote car starter, and I've found numerous occasions where she's started the thing and let it idle for 20 min before leaving for work.

I always run my longest errand and/or any drive-thru errands first. I want to eliminate any second, cold start. Actually, I want to have as few start ups as possible. In winter,I leave the heater off till the coolant HC guage is at it's normal reading.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I always run my longest errand and/or any drive-thru errands first. I want to eliminate any second, cold start. Actually, I want to have as few start ups as possible. In winter,I leave the heater off till the coolant HC guage is at it's normal reading.

Same here. No heater till it's fully warm. If I run the heater it's 2-3 times longer to temp. I think I actually get warm quicker by not running the heat right away.

Same here. No heater till it's fully warm. If I run the heater it's 2-3 times longer to temp. I think I actually get warm quicker by not running the heat right away.

I love my car. Just hit Auto and it takes care of itself. It will gradually start blowing air as it warms. Then full blast once at opt temp. The full blast comes on much quicker if I drive conservatively than if sit and idle.

The funny thing about people that idle the car just to get heat quicker (not to warm the engine for longevity) are actually sitting in a cold car longer and wasting their gas.

That's why I am getting remote start in my work truck. In the winter when I get up I can have the truck start and the defrost on while I brush my teeth, make my coffee and get dressed for work. It's nice to walk out to a defrosted warm truck on a cold winter morning.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80

I love my car. Just hit Auto and it takes care of itself. It will gradually start blowing air as it warms. Then full blast once at opt temp. The full blast comes on much quicker if I drive conservatively than if sit and idle.

The funny thing about people that idle the car just to get heat quicker (not to warm the engine for longevity) are actually sitting in a cold car longer and wasting their gas.

No kidding? I've never heard of a car modulating the heater fan based on coolant temp. I'm going to put mine in auto in the morning and see what happens.

No kidding? I've never heard of a car modulating the heater fan based on coolant temp. I'm going to put mine in auto in the morning and see what happens.

This idea isn't exactly new. I wish I could tell you the exact model he had, but when I was a small kid, my older brother had a Ford that actually had a blue dash light that said "cold" when he started his car. This car was probably a '66 or '67 model. The heater fan would not come on until this dashlight went out.
I guess their thinking back then was to start your car and let it idle to warm up before you took off.

Unless extreme (well into the -20s C or lower) I start it and drive appropriately. Anything else has never been able to get any of my cars to warm up properly, let alone quickly. If well into the -20s, I'll give it no more than 30s to stabilize and for the odd mechanical device to stop making noises of complaint.

Start'n'drive warms the car up quicker, reduces fuel dilution, warms the drivetrain, and doesn't waste time. Furthermore, the owner's manuals tell you to do this. Not idle for a couple of minutes, then blip the throttle for a couple more. People I read from who idle their cars for 15 minutes in Texas or California are laughable.

I have several posted UOAs using this habit, the majority of which are in Canadian winters. Once winter really hits a modification that I make is that if I'm only driving within town (a "short trip" by some definitions) I will usually force the otherwise fully automatic climate control to a fairly low fan speed. High enough that air moves over the windshield and all of the windows stay clear (it's the same speed it sets for itself when the engine is cold). I'm already dressed in winter gear, I don't need the HVAC system running at max fan speed pulling heat away from the engine just to park it again 10 minutes later. I'd rather get the block and oil hotter faster in the time that I have it running.

Last edited:
Cold starts in my moms 96 camry v6 are painstaking. It high idles at 2k rpm for a long time, and shifting into gears is CLUNKY as heck. Always did this, since she got it with 30k on it. Motor mounts fine, runs great, just toyota and their goofy high idle (presumably to set off the cat quick?)

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Cold starts in my moms 96 camry v6 are painstaking. It high idles at 2k rpm for a long time, and shifting into gears is CLUNKY as heck. Always did this, since she got it with 30k on it. Motor mounts fine, runs great, just toyota and their goofy high idle (presumably to set off the cat quick?)

Toyota's not the only one. My Acura does this too. It's to help the car warm up quicker and thus decrease emissions. The shifts are fine though, thanks to the Amsoil ATF
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My Acura does this too. It's to help the car warm up quicker and thus decrease emissions.

My Honda, which may have the same engine as your 'teg does the same thing. Back when I had the f23a1 (my namesake) it did the same thing. The '99 Stratus before it, however, never had such a problem.

My Expedition and my '89 Town Car both do it.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

This idea isn't exactly new. I wish I could tell you the exact model he had, but when I was a small kid, my older brother had a Ford that actually had a blue dash light that said "cold" when he started his car. This car was probably a '66 or '67 model. The heater fan would not come on until this dashlight went out.
I guess their thinking back then was to start your car and let it idle to warm up before you took off.

I have an 04 Nissan Maxima. When dead cold my heater is on since set to Auto 75 deg F. It will sit with the fan off until that temp needle budges. Then it will slowly tick one notch until the needle is 1/4 to 1/2 way then full blast.

Like I said this occurs far quicker driving conservatively than idling. takes forever to kick on idling. Being so efficient, these newer cars just do not heat up when not moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back