Let the truck warm up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Dragon44
I've always thought on cold mornings 32 and below let your gas truck warm up for 10 or 15 minutes before driving. Some people tell me it's not good to idle that long but some people tell me it is good for your truck. Good to let the oil warm up a bit before driving or no? Trying to see what the general consensus is?

You will not get a "general consensus" on this. All I will add is to ignore answers from people who live in climates that don't see temperatures below 30º F or people who park their vehicles indoors. They simply have no clue what snow and ice on your windows is or even frost that needs to be removed. Neither of those are happening in 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.

This is what will happen if you let your car warm up for 30 seconds before driving off

[Linked Image]

When started in cold weather my 07 Corolla would almost immediately run up to almost 2K for several seconds. I always wondered about that since we've always been told that engines suffer the most wear at startup.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
This is what will happen if you let your car warm up for 30 seconds before driving off

[Linked Image]

I don't see the problem
laugh.gif

[Linked Image]

Well, not really, not if you take an extra 10 seconds to scrape the whole windshield.

heck, that frost isn't even all that thick.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
When started in cold weather my 07 Corolla would almost immediately run up to almost 2K for several seconds. I always wondered about that since we've always been told that engines suffer the most wear at startup.

Maybe a vacuum leak? Can't image reving a stone cold engine to 2K at start up is doing it any favors.

You will not get a "general consensus" on this. All I will add is to ignore answers from people who live in climates that don't see temperatures below 30º F or people who park their vehicles indoors. They simply have no clue what snow and ice on your windows is or even frost that needs to be removed. Neither of those are happening in 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.

This is Normal around here, still doesn't mean you need to idle a half hour (unless it takes that long to scrape)

818C9D50-84B8-4BB3-B357-9977164444B2.jpeg

I used to worry about this but now I've migrated over to the idea that the car is there to serve me. It's unlikely you'll ever see a negative effect in the life of a vehicle from extra idling. Do what's most comfortable for you.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Maybe a vacuum leak? Can't image reving a stone cold engine to 2K at start up is doing it any favors.

It's 100% normal. It's called "cold idle".

It's 100% normal. It's called "cold idle".

I can imagine 1200 or even 1500 rpm but 2k seems high.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

This is Normal around here, still doesn't mean you need to idle a half hour (unless it takes that long to scrape)

Pfffft, start it, put your seat belt on, tune the radio, and go. About two minutes is enough, right ? Three to four tops !

Originally Posted by supton

[Linked Image]

Well, not really, not if you take an extra 10 seconds to scrape the whole windshield.

I'm sure I can find an example with thicker frost or even snow and ice to make the point clearer to those who think you can let a car run for 2 minutes and go. I mean, you live in NH so you will understand this perfectly well.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

[Linked Image]

Does it really matter how warm your oil is when your tires are frozen to the pavement?

I let the car warm up for me when it is below freezing.
I function much better in a warmed car.
After all, the car is merely an appliance to serve the needs of its owner.

Obviously too young to remember carburetors and automatic chokes. It's completely normal and doesn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by supton

[Linked Image]

I'm sure I can find an example with thicker frost or even snow and ice to make the point clearer to those who think you can let a car run for 2 minutes and go. I mean, you live in NH so you will understand this perfectly well.

Who would be foolish enough to live in an area like that without a garage?

I may not have read every post on this-- came back several times.

I think it's a waste of fuel and hard on other parts of car but don't quite understand comments about washing DI engines with gas. To me, there should be no difference to the engine in warming up and driving slowly. Can't imagine an engine would be hurt by this, just fuel waste and uneven warming up-- warm engine and cold transmission and wheel bearings.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Obviously too young to remember carburetors and automatic chokes. It's completely normal and doesn't hurt anything.

I remember, but there was an entirely different reason it happened with a carburetor. Now with fuel injection and the RPM being controlled by the ECM there's no reason (at least in terms of fuel supply) to need to rev in order to pull that much of a vacuum.

Why does a cold engine need to run up to high idle before the oil is flowing freely? I don't disagree that it didn't hurt anything, because that car had 178k miles when I sold it and it ran as well as the day I bought it. I just wonder what the need is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back