Motor Warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Do you have a right to pursue happiness?

Everyone does. But what does that have to do with posting my sexual preferences and behaviors on a motor oil board?

What does finance, cooking or jokes? Sexuality (not a preference it is a nature)is no different than being a man or a woman it is not a choice, it is a what we are. You are who you are you don't choose to like what you like. If you do perhaps you are making a choice against your nature.( I always am suspect of those who claim it is a behavior or a choice...perhaps that is a projection).

What does finance, cooking or jokes? Sexuality (not a preference it is a nature)is no different than being a man or a woman it is not a choice, it is a what we are. You are who you are you don't choose to like what you like. If you do perhaps you are making a choice against your nature.( I always am suspect of those who claim it is a behavior or a choice...perhaps that is a projection).

It IS a behavior whether it's a conscience choice or not. It is NOT a race.

Maybe I'll decide to screw sheep and make up a name for it and call it a race and not a behavior and I'll have more rights and protection than the rest of the population.

Once again, how does this belong in BITOG? I could care less about this debate. The rainbow signature does not belong on BITOG. It is sexual in nature and I don't remember anyone asking Stevie what his perference was. Like many, he felt the need to post it for all to see even though it was not asked for.

It is totally inappropriate on an oil board.

It is not sexual. It is a symbol of tolerance that was adopted by the Gay community to symbolize their cause for acceptance. I talk about my wife on this board. Is that sexual? I like women and it was not a concious choice. The only people making a concious choice are those going against their nature.

Meanwhile I am enjoying your discomfort with the matter until this thread gets locked.

Here is an analogy. What do you prefer in icecream Vanilla chocolate or strawberry? What if your flavor of choice is considered immoral? Does that change your favorite flavor?

It is not sexual. It is a symbol of tolerance that was adopted by the Gay community to symbolize their cause for acceptance. I talk about my wife on this board. Is that sexual? I like women and it was not a concious choice. The only people making a concious choice are those going against their nature.

Meanwhile I am enjoying your discomfort with the matter until this thread gets locked.

What discomfort? You assume too much.

For the third time, it is a sexual preference, nothing more.

Are you really trying to compare talking about your wife to talking about a sexual behavior? I'll give you some credit and assume you're trying to get under my skin because you can't possibly believe yourself.

Again, everything else aside, why do we need to and who wants to see a symbol of gay tolerance in someone's signature everytime they post? No religion, sex, or politics. Get it?

Here is an analogy. What do you prefer in icecream Vanilla chocolate or strawberry? What if your flavor of choice is considered immoral? Does that change your favorite flavor?

It's the need to shove this unfortunate behavior down our throats that I don't like. I don't try and push my preference for chocolate ice cream on everyone. If someone asked me what my perference was I would tell them. I don't remember anyone asking Stevie.

And here's the thing that really gets me...

My father is in Iraq working at the US Embassy. We do everything we can not to upset the Muslims now. You would be surprised at the lengths we go to please them.

Suddenly the gays at the Embassy feel the need to show how gay they are in the form of a gay parade. Now the Muslims are [censored] and rightfully so, it goes against everything they believe in. Now my father is getting his Humvee shot up even more when he goes into the red zone because the gays so called "rights" come before protecting good Americans' lives. I could care less about the cause when it's putting loved ones in danger and for what?

So you are OK with it as long as no one mentions the elephantr in the room? Don't ask don't tell? That always works out well. \

Yes, I am trying to get under your skin but I also believe in what I say. Being married to a woman is not a behavior. It is who I am. No differnt for those who live differently.

Now for a question of Empathy. Even in Liberal ole Canada coming out and being honest about who one is(I am talking about the closet) is a major event. It's like the young Marine who has to get that Marine Corp Tattoo after boot camp. You have discovered your identity and you want the world to know.
Justy like a commitment. Are you more likely to keep a private or a publice commitment. Me I am more likely to be true tyo myself and my word if I share it with others. As a heterosexual(this is redundent) I have no need to continue to express that, it is a social assumption> As a Homosexuakl, to establish that socially since it is not a majority direction requires an individual to proclaim this. Much like a Born Again christian feels it is a duty to procalim their status. This is a life defining identity. This is a public admission of who the indivisual is. It is a matter of pride as oppossed to the silent shame of the past. In the future as it is more and more socially acceptable such public exclamations will be as redundent as a heterosexueal exclamation.
As long as there are bigots and phobes such exclamations are neccesary, not in regard to the bigots and phobes but to give gays the courage to live their life as they see fit.

I will not bring your father into the discussion, he did not get into his position against his will. He made a commitment and is obligated to keep it as everyone in the militaryh or many private services is.

You blaming his risk exp[osure on the gays in the embassy and not on his decisions is what I would like to focus on. Perhaps you would prefer to live in the ideological state of a muslim country? You seem to side with their reaction over that of your own countryment.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I can recall the days of electric chokes and carburetors. In cold weather, you'd start the car, let it fast idle for xx seconds, then blip the throttle to return the idle to its regular, lower rpm.
Some of us still get to do that everyday
LOL.gif

So you are OK with it as long as no one mentions the elephantr in the room? Don't ask don't tell? That always works out well. \

Yes, I am trying to get under your skin but I also believe in what I say. Being married to a woman is not a behavior. It is who I am. No differnt for those who live differently.

Now for a question of Empathy. Even in Liberal ole Canada coming out and being honest about who one is(I am talking about the closet) is a major event. It's like the young Marine who has to get that Marine Corp Tattoo after boot camp. You have discovered your identity and you want the world to know.
Justy like a commitment. Are you more likely to keep a private or a publice commitment. Me I am more likely to be true tyo myself and my word if I share it with others. As a heterosexual(this is redundent) I have no need to continue to express that, it is a social assumption> As a Homosexuakl, to establish that socially since it is not a majority direction requires an individual to proclaim this. Much like a Born Again christian feels it is a duty to procalim their status. This is a life defining identity. This is a public admission of who the indivisual is. It is a matter of pride as oppossed to the silent shame of the past. In the future as it is more and more socially acceptable such public exclamations will be as redundent as a heterosexueal exclamation.
As long as there are bigots and phobes such exclamations are neccesary, not in regard to the bigots and phobes but to give gays the courage to live their life as they see fit.

I am 100% against it. I tolerate it and I don't think gays should be persecuted but that's as much empathy as you're going to get from me.

It's not about them just being proud, it's about them trying to push their so called values on mainstream America. When I have kids, I don't want them watching a couple of dudes making out. It's an abomination.

Bigots and phobes are terms used by the gay groups to silence normal heterosexual people. While they do exist I would guess 99% of the accused "phobes" are just normal people expressing an opinion. If you disagree with the gay behavior you're automatically labeled a homophobe.

And what's with calling me and others who disagree with the gay lifestyle bigots? Again you're acting like this is a race which is is not. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion on someone's behavior.

You convienently ignore other posts like gay so called rights taking priority over American lives in Baghdad. Seriously, who gives a [censored] who's gay in Iraq.

I will not bring your father into the discussion, he did not get into his position against his will. He made a commitment and is obligated to keep it as everyone in the militaryh or many private services is.

You blaming his risk exp[osure on the gays in the embassy and not on his decisions is what I would like to focus on. Perhaps you would prefer to live in the ideological state of a muslim country? You seem to side with their reaction over that of your own countryment.

Are you serious? My father made a commitment to go to Baghdad and do his job for this country and we all knew it would be dangerous. The gays making his job even more dangerous so they can exersise their "rights" is utterly wrong.

I'm against most everything the Muslim religion teaches but why slap them in the face for absolutely no reason? So someone can say "hey, I'm gay"? Don't even go there with your assumptions.

so...

has anyone done the math to project the cost of gas used while idling vs the possible repair or driving before completely warm? and look into all the aspects of ambient temp registering on the gauge compared to the other mobile parts of the car that do not warm sitting idle... then the person drives assuming everything is warm and something else is damaged from not warming adequately?

Is still like driving as close to 2k rpm until warm. my heat waits to reach the actual temp before blowing it. It kicks out warm air far sooner from driving than sitting.

Honestly, the only idling as warm-up I do is to give the heater a head start when it's freezing outside. Otherwise, the motor idles 20-30 seconds while I fasten my seatbelt and get some tunes going. Then I drive reasonably until the motor loosens up a bit.

I don't think idling consumes much gas at all compared to even the most leisurely driving, but it's still netting you 0 mpg.

O/T: I don't mind people being true to themselves. OTOH, no matter the flavor of sexuality, it doesn't belong on this board. Freedom of expression exists in public and on your own private property, but we're gathered here on a privately owned forum whose owner has forbidden this particular subject as well as others. Loaded subjects like this detract from the usefulness and success of BITOG.

Why the h3ll can't people stay on topic these days?
06.gif

I start the engine, put the seatbelt on and gently drive. Any longer and its just a waste of fuel. Mind you it doesnt get any colder than 40F here on winter mornings.

BuickGN,

I have been asleep until now and have just read your posts. I apologize that the rainbow in my signature offends you. I will not take it down however until next week as we are celebrating Gay pride here and that's important to me and I have posted it for this week.

The same way that Christians have the little fish symbols on the back of their cars I have a Rainbow sticker on my license plate I don't see why I can't express who I am as a person when someone of a Christian faith can.

It's not to advertise sexual "preference/behavior", it's to show strength in number as a community and to celebrate how long we have been prosecution free.

I pitty you for thinking that it's a "Behavior" or "Preference" because it is not. I assure you the only behavior or preference I exhibit is to live open and freely and without hiding who I am. The nature that makes me this way is hard wired in my brain and I have known since an early age as I'm sure others who are in this community on this board have. We just choose not to live open/freely because of people who feel the need to prosecute us and shove their beliefs down our throats etc. (not saying you are that type, and I appreciate that you are not)

As for who asked, if you read the thread in the Photo-Section it came up in conversation and was started there... That's why I was open about it.

Some some food for thought... The gay-wiring is not only present in humans, but has been found in every species of animal known to exist. There is also evidence of its existence well before Jesus walked the earth so I don't know how you can claim it's a "preference" or "behavior" as these would no doubt be shaped by the environment/time in which you live no? Yet this "wiring" has existed in the population as far back as record have been kept so don't you think there is more to it?

Now lets get this thread back on track so it doesn't get locked for the OP. If you want to talk more lets take it offline and via PM.

Wow
smirk2.gif

Anyways,back on topic here, I always let my vehicles warm up.Summer time,is when idle has settled down and winter time,well that depends on how cold it is and how icy the windows are
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I can recall the days of electric chokes and carburetors. In cold weather, you'd start the car, let it fast idle for xx seconds, then blip the throttle to return the idle to its regular, lower rpm.
Some of us still get to do that everyday
LOL.gif

Maybe about 8 or so years ago, my work car was a '69 chevy II/Nova with the factory 4 cylinder and powerglide that always sat outside. The car had a factory manual choke. During the winter when it would get to zero or below, it was interesting to start and drive the car to work. Driving with a manual choke is a learned art. Took bad kids today don't get to experience that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back