Motor Oil Geek..Oil & Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023

I found this video interesting and I feel others will too. I have edited this to provide some substance as I understand now that just throwing a link up without any commentary is against BITOG rules and this unlike most YT videos, actually has valuable information we can decipher together.
Thank you all ..

Last edited:
The title of the post includes fuel additives...are they addressed in the video? Sorry...I can't watch right now but I'd be surprised if all fuel additives were worthless.

He is selling his own oil, so always take it with a grain of salt, nevertheless the results are solid, and pretty much what I expected. On the other hand, glad he testet OilExtreme - love to see that the calcium and sodium levels are great (and pretty much nothing else in it). That may be bad for your injected turbo because of preignition, but that's totally fine for my 41 Chevy.

Lake Speed Jr. is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil.
Isn’t this his current company?

He is selling his own oil...

For the 15,000th time on here, he doesn't sell oil. He didn't sell oil when he was with Driven either. Granted, he would promote it since he was the general manager and formulator there, but he wasn't directly in sales. He's VP of sales for Total Seal piston rings. He likes piston rings and hates oils that do bad things to piston rings. He likes digging into the technical aspects of lubrication. Testing oil is as much a hobby as a job for him. Go watch some of his Hidden Horsepower videos, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I've known him for many years, and the things people assume about him are quite humorous.

When I said in the thread for the previous video to have some popcorn ready for the next one, this is the video I was referring to.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder why they don't incorporate their own additives into their own brand of motor oil.
As noted they make more money selling just the additives sans the oil.
Because it's cheaper to make something that conforms to no standards than it is to make something that conforms to any standards. Since it's all snake oil anyhow, they can throw whatever they want into a bottle and sell it as some miracle cure (until the FTC notices and sues them.)

Lake Speed Jr. is the son of former NASCAR driver and team owner Lake Speed. A former crew member for Chad Knaus at Melling Racing, Speed joined the Joe Gibbs team in 2004 and led the creation of Joe Gibbs Driven Racing Oil.
Yes, he did say he formulated their oil in an earlier video

I was hoping someone posted this video. I think it's interesting about the fuel atomizing that's important to keep fuel dilution down via keeping the injectors clean. Makes perfect sense b/c when the fuel isn't atomizing correctly it won't combust properly leaving the leftover fuel combining into the oil. Also, just a reminder of the importance of a clean air filter to get the proper air/fuel mixture at all levels.

I was hoping someone posted this video. I think it's interesting about the fuel atomizing that's important to keep fuel dilution down via keeping the injectors clean. Makes perfect sense b/c when the fuel isn't atomizing correctly it won't combust properly leaving the leftover fuel combining into the oil. Also, just a reminder of the importance of a clean air filter to get the proper air/fuel mixture at all levels.
I'm glad you're glad 😊
I appreciate those that do... anybody can be a complainer.

In before someone that usually hates all the youtube stuff/LSJ is all over this with "I TOLD YOU ADDITIVES WERE BAD!" LM MoS2/Ceratec seem ok in this testing w/r to not negatively impacting to the base oil.

I'm bad about "mixing oils" in my daily drivers. Currently I have 2 "custom blends" in 3 of our daily drivers.

I'm from the school that oil additives harm the wallet and don't help the engine.
I'll admit few yrs ago a friend gave me PolyDyn TX7 a try. It did NOT appear help or hurt the engine.
and
I do have a couple of bottles of CleanBoost Engine Metal Treatment on my shelf but have never been brave enough to us it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back