Motomaster Winter Edge tires by Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my Motomaster Winter Edge tires. They are the store brand for Canadian Tire, made by Cooper. Took in a set of worn out summer tires on rims from my 2005 Ford Taurus. It was more convenient for me to drop off the rims but I found the manager was not very organized and the tires did not stay in correct order. (First come, first served) with the other customers cars. Received an apology and anther $100 bucks off. Bonus.
laugh.gif
. Enjoy the photos of the brand new tires sitting in the Burb.

B7925FB8-B69F-47E5-8BC3-DB0E5BE9D62F.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahhh, yes, shiny new winter tires, always good to see. Kind of pushing it time wise, no ?

We are currently sitting at -18*C (0*F) , and just received about 30 cm of snow over the last two days. The roads are BRUTAL. A gazillion accidents, gridlock across various freeways, many, many cars in the ditch.

The tire stores are gonna be jumping now !

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Am I the only one that loves that smell from new tires?

Nope...I worked in tire stores years ago and still remember.

Canadian Tire up here in Canada deliberately allows the air from the tire storage area to enter the main part of the store, just to allow the smell to waft in.

Yep, always loved the smell of new tires! Wonder what it is that gives them that smell?

I've had these tires going on their third winter on my Tiguan. I like some aspects of them, but am a little disappointed in other aspects.

First, the good:

These tires have great winter traction, particularly in ice and snow. I feel confident in slippery conditions, they are not particularly mushy, and have decent wet and dry performance as well. There is no excessive tire noise. I bought these new the same time a bought another new set, for the Toyota Sienna I had at the time. The van had the outgoing Continental ExtremeWinterContact. I found the performance of the two tires to be quite similar, but I note these differences: on particularly slippery surfaces, the Winter Edge would kick the ABS on for the last foot or two of stopping, where the ExtremeWinterContact would not. The opposite happened starting off on these same slippery surfaces, the Winter Edge held much better at the initial start from a stop, where the ExtremeWinterContact would have a bit of slippage. Otherwise, I would say performance of these two are quite similar.

Now the bad:

After the second winter, when taking the tires off in the spring, I noticed chunks of the tread had broken off or were breaking off on the front tires. The ambient temperatures by the time I removed them was hitting 15 Celcius, but they were also city driven, and not highway driven during that period.

An additional point, which I will not categorize as good or bad, is that these are made in China, albeit at an entirely Cooper owned factory (that they took over from a partnership with Kenda). This may be a factor for some people, but knowing it wasn't a third party's factory gave me enough of an assurance to buy these tires.

I would say I am not likely to buy these tires again, simply because there are so many other good choices out there, and this is the first set of winter tires I've had with chunks coming off. That said, I may be tempted with a killer price to offset what looks like a sign of shorter tread life.

Nope!

Sometimes when I visit my local Sam's Club, I stroll through the tire section as it's right by the entrance.

For that very reason, the smell of new tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back