Most valuable/Interesting/Strange thing you have found while walking around?

I found one of my neighbor's Marijuana plants . I saw him walking back in the woods several mornings so I went exploring . He moved it a day or so later . He must have seen me .

I was about 10 years old, playing in my neighborhood park with my friend, and saw a condom on the bench. We were wondering what was it.

At 13 I took a family photo at a theme park entrance. When the photo developed I recognized my cousins was in the background taking her family photo about 30 feet away from me. Turns out they were also visiting on that day, we didn't run into each other.

At 15, I was walking along the beach once in San Francisco, and picked up a pebble and saw a crab pattern on it. The pebble is like sandstone and the crab pattern is like quartz.

I guess this would be considered strange as you usually don't find $60 in an empty parking lot...was out walking early that morning
I found a bill on the sidewalk outside the medical building where I had an appointment. I knelt fast, scooped it up, stuffed it in my pocket, and did not look at it until I was ensconced in a bathroom stall ten minutes later.

It was a $100 bill.

I found one of my neighbor's Marijuana plants . I saw him walking back in the woods several mornings so I went exploring . He moved it a day or so later . He must have seen me .
Me and a buddy found a whole grow operation scouting for deer hunting one fall. Had to have been 2-300 potted plants tucked into the sunny side of a river bank. We knew the guy who owned the adjacent land used to grow quite a bit and had been busted for it but figured he'd learned his lesson and moved on, guess he just changed up his operation as it looked like he had close to a thousand plants that had been harvested and he hadn't gotten to the ones we found that day. We just quietly reversed course and never said a word about it to anyone.

I guess this would be considered strange as you usually don't find $60 in an empty parking lot...was out walking early that morning
Had that happen once as well - 3 $20's very deliberately folded in half and in half again. I'm guessing someone had the bills in that little pocket on the right side of a pair of jeans and they fell out while the person was walking.

When I was 14 I was walking in to town from the farm to see my girlfriend and I seen a paper bag laying just off the shoulder. Why this caught my eye was it was clean, most stuff you see along the highway is dirty so I checked it out and there were several hundred dollars in small bills and a bag of maryjane, that afternoon was the first time my girlfriend and I got high!

Around 2009-10 a friend of mine lived in a newer subdivision on the outskirts of Charlotte, NC that was built around 2003 or so. It was very HOA, and most of the houses had privacy fences including his, but from the second floor we could see what looked to be an old car back in the woods behind the fence. Sure enough there was a 1960s Chrysler car of some sort back there, I think it was an early Plymouth Valiant but can't remember for sure. It was wrecked, and at that point pinned in by trees. I guess the builder figured the fence would hide it, but you could definitely see it from the second floor, at least in winter. It was pretty far from any established roads, so it wasn't an undiscovered wreck or anything, just a wrecked car someone parked at the back of what used to be farm land.

On a similar note, in the late 1990s I remember in Chapel Hill, NC a developer started clearing land along Sage Rd for a new office park and townhouse development and there was a cluster of 1920s-1930s Ford cars back in the woods, probably about 7-8 of them. They were in really rough shape at that point, but it was an interesting thing to see a line of rusty 1930s cars parked along the side of the road in Chapel Hill. I'm sure this was also a park it at the back of the farm situation since there was little development there before the 1960s.

If digging counts, I dug this up in my vegetable garden over 40 years ago.

DSC_2691bs.jpg

Or if thrift shops count, my late wife bought this picture in a second hand shop in Ireland in 1977 because it reminded her of a cottage across the street from where she grew up. She paid $8 for it. We discovered over 20 years later that it was an original watercolor by the British artist Helen Allingham painted in 1902. It appraised for $48,000.

Allingham Full 150.JPG

Took a walk Tuesday evening in the cul de sac. Twice I walked thru the aroma of Cannabis being used out doors.

An old wooden cigar box semi buried in the RED WOOD national state park in the mid 70's full of old US coins from the 1940-1950s. Face value was about $300. I still have them to day. Real value now about $2000...(maybe more?) :D

Back