Most valuable/Interesting/Strange thing you have found while walking around?

A couple years ago my brother, who rides a bike whatever chance he gets, found a watch in the weeds next to the highway. Turned out to be worth like 20 grand and was in immaculate condition. Wasn't a Rolex, some strange sounding name I don't recall. I have not been as lucky. I was hiking and breaking a trail for a shortcut back to camp and found a backpack full of marital aids and fetish magazines. Not to my taste so the backpack was left where I found it. I have also found small sums of cash a few times. I once found a box with explosives in an abandoned, falling down barn when I was a teen. Looked real old and now I cringe at how rambunctious I was while rummaging around that box with the sweating Dynamite, fuse and caps. Called the law and they took charge over it. Anyone else find anything of value/interest or strangeness while traipsing around?

Found a liftmaster garage door remote on my lawn one day (the kind that clips onto a visor).. right smack in the middle of the yard.. not near the edge or by the sidewalk.

Ended up using it since it worked with my opener and still use it to this day some 10 years later.

One when I was ~8/9 at a neighborhood playground I found a large gold colored rock about the size of a golf ball. I thought for sure it was gold and of course now a very rich boy. It was pyrite and I was the fool. Kept it for a long time.

1612628948066.png

This is the second strangest thing......

This was when I was a kid I had miles of woods a stream and steep hills behind my house much more land that could be traversed in a single day by normal kids.

My buddies and I would spend days in the summer walking up and downstream exploring the creek itself and surrounding areas, we had our pellet / bb guns and large knives with us and were afraid of nothing.

After a half day march upstream and up the side of a fairly large hill we found a concrete pad about 15ft wide at the widest part with steel bars/ markers inlaid in a random geometric pattern as though it were some kind of chart or map, with some kind of headstone with what looked like a coper faceplate with non english gibberish on it. The whole thing was semi covered up with plant debris so we had to sweep it away to see the edges. Its shape was of a V with a rounded bottom.

This was MILES into wilderness in an area you could BARELY walk in and it was not possible to get any motorized vehicles in we tried with dirt bikes and ATC's for the next few years as we acquired the motorized assets.

No idea what it was, indicated, or who would bother with the enormous physical effort to build this in such a remote location.

A co worker told me a story about picking up a shoe he found by the side of the road only to realize there was a foot inside of it. Apparently there had been a big wreck scene there a while before and they missed it during the clean up.

Probably an old wood fired steam pump in the woods along a river bank (before iPhones sadly) … it was heavily grown over - but I climbed around to figure it out. Looks like they fed it wood and it pumped them river water …

One when I was ~8/9 at a neighborhood playground I found a large gold colored rock about the size of a golf ball. I thought for sure it was gold and of course now a very rich boy. It was pyrite and I was the fool. Kept it for a long time.

View attachment 44328
I used to find really cool rocks all the time as a kid. The best ones I can remember are an huge rock with amethyst crystals all over it I found at the beach, and geodes I found (can't remember where).

North Stonington CT, in the woods, a fully lined stone well @ ground level; the cool thing is there was a stair case going down into the ground and a small room with an opening into the well shaft; the assumption it was built that way to draw water in rainy and snowy conditions; suspecting a colonial leftover.

edit; found this

Perhaps older. On a side note, much of CT is wooded; during colonial times the state was a giant farm. Finding stone walls running through the woods is really unexceptional in CT although being odd to a non New Englander.

Last edited:
Many things lol I go metal detecting a lot. At my house I found an 1892 Barber Half Dollar. Also go Geocaching a lot too and have found some strange things in them and some gross things too nothing I should list here. Found plenty of valuable tools too especially in parking lots lol.

This is the second strangest thing......

This was when I was a kid I had miles of woods a stream and steep hills behind my house much more land that could be traversed in a single day by normal kids.

My buddies and I would spend days in the summer walking up and downstream exploring the creek itself and surrounding areas, we had our pellet / bb guns and large knives with us and were afraid of nothing.

After a half day march upstream and up the side of a fairly large hill we found a concrete pad about 15ft wide at the widest part with steel bars/ markers inlaid in a random geometric pattern as though it were some kind of chart or map, with some kind of headstone with what looked like a coper faceplate with non english gibberish on it. The whole thing was semi covered up with plant debris so we had to sweep it away to see the edges. Its shape was of a V with a rounded bottom.

This was MILES into wilderness in an area you could BARELY walk in and it was not possible to get any motorized vehicles in we tried with dirt bikes and ATC's for the next few years as we acquired the motorized assets.

No idea what it was, indicated, or who would bother with the enormous physical effort to build this in such a remote location.
I wonder if it was the remains of a Beacon Station?

http://www.dreamsmithphotos.com/arr... were called,early days painted Chrome Yellow.

Dang, need to get my memory going. In the mean time, found this about 2 months ago. Interesting, but not strange for anyone who spends time outdoors. The circle of life, providing food to others after death:
IMG_1023.JPG

Found a 3/8" socket wrench on my birthday some years ago. Think the brand name was "Proto". Still have it in the tool box.

Years ago I drove a route delivering welding gases. One day I was turning a corner in a rural part of town and something caught my eye. It was a brand new claw hammer and a brand new tape measure laying in the road. I pulled over and grabbed them up. not another soul around. The next week going around the same corner I found a brand new socket set in a plastic case. The only thing I could figure was that someone was placing these tools on a work truck and would drive away and lose them turning the corner. I always took a good look around that area in future years. Never found another thing.

I guess this would be considered strange as you usually don't find $60 in an empty parking lot...was out walking early that morning

Back