Most Fun Car to Drive - what's yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1991 Toyota Corolla SR-5 coupe.

5-speed, power moonroof...it was MADE for cruising down the highway!

Great car!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My previous 2004 WRX wagon with 4 winter tires was a hoot to drive on wintery and gravel roads.

In high school I really enjoyed a 1984 Rabbit GTI I owned.

1266439815-FlyGTI-660x353.jpg

btw we used to do that to mine in high school

I also routinely did that with an '86 Jetta GLI on the back road to my favorite fishing spot. The hard braking after landing, and 60 degree left hander to stay out of the trees, was pretty hard on the car and it fell apart pretty quick.

I still (sometimes) go fishing at the same spot, but keep all four wheels on the ground now.

Out of all of them i have to say the 65 Lotus Cortina MkI.
The car handled like a surgical instrument with plenty of power, it was also a very forgiving car with very little drama driving fast.
I wanted to say the Porsche 930 but with the late model twin turbo power plant it was fun to drive but also twitchy, unforgiving and stressful a real drama queen.

My bought new Datsun 1982 280ZX 5sp manual was a great fun car that was civilized at the same time. My bought new 1985 Golf 5sp manual was a rougher but fun car. Now don't laugh, but my bought new 1996 Ford Contour, 4 cyl Zetec, 5 sp manual with factory aluminum wheels for 205/60/15 tires is a real blast to drive hard or gentle. It handles great and has lots of get up and go. Plus you can ride for hours without the seats becoming uncomfortable. I take it regularly from NJ to Key West. It also gets great mpg for a fun car. 15 years and still going strong!

Whimsey

Last edited:
I see the Miata mentioned a few times. I love mine- the most fun I have ever had for $1000. Mine looks like [censored], but is a hoot to drive!

My '85 SAAB 900 turbo. Sunroof, handles great, has decent pick up and still gets as good or better mpg than originally rated.

I don't think I've ever had a fun car. Winter weather tends to make it very expensive keeping 2 cars.

But every spring I can't wait to get my motorcycle on the road.

had a gen 2 (97) miata. I loved it but it got awfully small for my tastes in traffic. Nothing else I've had was better balanced. It did NOT handle rough roads well at all though.

5spd awd subaru legacy came very, very close--- it was very tossable and extremely well balanced, but just too anemic. If it'd had a turbo and better clutch..... omg...

gen 1 jeep ZJ beater. Surprisngly fun. older i get, the less speed I want/need. but it was nimble. and we worked well together. And many, many curbs were hopped in the interest of some unknown hole in the woods. and nobody would park too close to it-- it was a heap-- so I never worried about door dings.

hard to beat a miata... but if it were that or a wrangler (keeping the open top thing, I'd go wrangler).

M

PS- VW rabbits...

in my hometown, catching air was easy. when the 1996 civic came out, C&D remarked it was the first vehicle since the rabbit that maintained controlled suspension behavior when 1 wheel was lifted. dad had a 77 rabbit, and those things were seen at every autocross with the inside rear wheel off the ground in the hairpins.

I can attest to both...

M

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I'd have to pick my Grandad's 1962 Buick LeSabre. It is still the most fun car I've ever used.

We're talking about fun in the front seat, not the back seat!

For that, I used a '76 caddy.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I'd have to pick my Grandad's 1962 Buick LeSabre. It is still the most fun car I've ever used.

SS1970Chrysler, I'm not sure but after following your Grananda commute adventures I'm fondly remembering my '66 Mustang again. Wonder how fun it would be to work on and drive a similar car today?

I would have said my police car, but most of the time people don't move out of the way in NYC when the lights and sirens are on. Can't figure it out. They wouldn't move for the PopeMobile...

SO my answer is: My co-worker's Eveolution with 400 hp.

My '02, ti and MS3 are all fun to drive- they just provide the fun in different ways.
That said, out of all the cars I've driven, the most fun have been the E30 M3 and the Alpina B7.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
My '02, ti and MS3 are all fun to drive- they just provide the fun in different ways.
That said, out of all the cars I've driven, the most fun have been the E30 M3 and the Alpina B7.

The ti is the little notchback right? Those do look fun to drive. Haven't ever been in a 2002 but they started the legend so
wink.gif

The ti is the hatch, you have to concentrate to make it go fast. It has taught me a LOT when I've taken it to the track.

Of cars that I've owned, my '91 Probe with the Yamaha 3.0 was a hoot, even more fun than my Sentra with the SR20DE in it. Of cars that I've driven, a Porsche Boxster down in Florida was pretty fun for a week.

Never really had huge thrills, but the following were OK:

'92 Daytona IROC
'95 Talon TSI (stripped - no A/C, crank windows, etc.)
'97 Talon TSI AWD
'95 Dakota SB with 318/3.92 gears

My current 2 in my signature are fun in their own ways. Both are quicker than all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back