Most Expensive Ink Cartridges?

Which OEM manufacturer has the most expensive cartridges for their inkjet printers?

For my 2 year old Brother printer, the LC401XL 3-pak of high yield color cartridges is $47 at Amazon.
And the LC401XL 2-pak of high yield black cartridges is $55 at Amazon.

For my 11 year old Brother printer, the LC103XL 3-pak high yield color cartridges are a relative bargain at $35.

Brother high yield cartridges are typically claimed to be good for 500-600 pages.

I have heard that HP cartridge prices are much higher than Brother.

Which OEM manufacturer has the most expensive cartridges for their inkjet printers?

For my 2 year old Brother printer, the LC401XL 3-pak of high yield color cartridges is $47 at Amazon.
And the LC401XL 2-pak of high yield black cartridges is $55 at Amazon.

For my 11 year old Brother printer, the LC103XL 3-pak high yield color cartridges are a relative bargain at $35.

Brother high yield cartridges are typically claimed to be good for 500-600 pages.

I have heard that HP cartridge prices are much higher than Brother.
Epson from what I can Tell. My CX5000 cartridges are not being carried very Many places any longer and have seemed to have gone up.

Ditch the inkjet and go laser. I did and so much better quality, much faster and the print cost is much less. The printers are not expensive either. I got a brother all in one copier/printer/scanner black and white for $189 and toner cartridges run about $65 and last me almost a year in my shop and we print a lot. You can get a color one as well for around $600.

There is a general rule of thumb that the cost of the printer is inversely proportional to the cost of the cartridges. IOW, they get you one way or the other.

Laser for me, though I used to have a big color laser and it was shocking how much color toner it wasted.

Got a B&W Brother AIO laser to replace it, but going a step further, it's very inexpensive to print with if you refill the carts with bulk toner (and in the case of the model I have, the starter cart needed a reset gear, YMMV), refilling with bulk toner until either the waste chamber in it is full (then you can decide to empty that), or until you decide that streaks or speckles on the page are becoming excessive, then depends on the size of the printer - some have the drum built into the cart, and others have it separate and is meant to last for multiple carts worth of toner.

I end up buying a new cart about once every 5 years and bulk refill in between, though I print a lot less than I used to.

I miss the old days, had a tank of an old HP laserjet with over half a million pages on it, and it would take any random brand of copy machine toner. Granted this was before the internet made *almost* all popular brands available in the aftermarket.

The printer brand I'd avoid most is Lexmark, because they like to sue the aftermarket and microchip (prom ID lockout) multiple components in their machines for "reasons" that end up increasing TCO, not just the cartridges.

HP for sure. I just ditched my HP this week for a Brother tankless (?). No more cartridges for me. I love laser and had one years ago (when everything about them was expensive) that I needed for my home business. But I need color for printing photos.

Reactions: Pew
Back