MOS2 in differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a 25,000 mile service on the Grand Marquis today, and decided to try out Liqui-Moly Getriebeoil in my rear differential. I was going to try out their GearProtect, but since I knew what was in Getriebeoil (MOS2), I decided I'd try this one first. I don't have an LSD, so it's safe for my application.

I know my car's character inside out so to speak, so I notice any differences almost immediately. I know how it drives following a 25,000 mile service (ATF, P/S fluid, brake fluid, differential oil, coolant) and the car actually felt even smoother and 'lighter' this time. Acceleration, especially on the highway, is stronger.

Only downside is I realised I now have to "re-learn" throttle input, if that makes any sense. With a conventional rear end, these cars have a reputation here as being rather 'wild'. I've got Pirelli P6 Four Seasons on this car, which are pretty good on dry pavement. But as soon as there are fine sprinkles of sand or some water around, they lose traction like there's no tomorrow. They've got a fair amount of tread on them, and I didn't plan on replacing them until the end of the year...but I may have to reconsider. Reason I say this is, following the service, I was taking a u-turn. When I reckoned it was safe to pull out, I depressed the accelerator half way (as always) and the right rear spun to the extent where the rear end broke loose. I had to counter steer and floor it all the way, so I don't end up facing on coming traffic, and even then there was not much traction. That was when I started driving it as if it's my first time behind the wheel of this car. Maybe the fact that I used a full synthetic (75W-140) this time has something to do with it as well. Used to use 80W-90 mineral.

Cannot comment on factors such as fuel economy just yet, but the additive is definitely an 'improvement', and I will definitely need better tires before this car is safe to drive again! Considering a set of General Altimax HP's (98V) this time.
thumbsup2.gif

I can see having less friction and wear for sure in a pumpkin with MoSo2..

But I don't see how less friction would change the differential action in a NON limited slip system.

Not all that knowledgeable on differentials I'm afraid. I just reckoned the pinion gear now spins freer, and as the outer wheel starts to spin faster than the inner wheel, the tire just breaks loose quicker because it has poor traction.
54.gif

Friction/stiction in the diff gives the 'open diff' a very minimal LSD function. Weld the open diff and that diff is locked. Now, what happens to the open diff if there are lubricant issues?

My question is, was the previous gear oil 'bad'?
Maybe too thin for the climate? Used too long? ...

The previous gear oil was Motorcraft GL-5 80W-90, and it was in service for 25,000 miles/6 months. It came out golden in colour, and was only a little bit darker than the new oil. I service my differentials every 25,000 miles or 2 years. The replacement is Mopar GL-5 75W-140, with the MOS2 additive.

Having said that, there was a differential recall for the 2003 model year Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car. Axle shafts and wheel bearings were replaced as part of the recall, but my vehicle never had this done. At the time, this was my friend's car and we took it to the dealer with the recall number. Nobody even knew about this, claiming Ford "never" had any recalls and that wasn't "needed". Could this have anything to do with it?

So how much total moly in in the Lube?

You don't need more than 1500ppm of moly, especially if it contains ZDDP and or a sulfur-phosphorous EP package.

Quote:
I just reckoned the pinion gear now spins freer, and as the outer wheel starts to spin faster than the inner wheel, the tire just breaks loose quicker because it has poor

The drive pinion gear is spinning the same RPM as the driveshaft.

I am not sure what performance gains you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
So how much total moly in in the Lube?

You don't need more than 1500ppm of moly, especially if it contains ZDDP and or a sulfur-phosphorous EP package.

Quote:
I just reckoned the pinion gear now spins freer, and as the outer wheel starts to spin faster than the inner wheel, the tire just breaks loose quicker because it has poor

The drive pinion gear is spinning the same RPM as the driveshaft.

I am not sure what performance gains you are looking for.

I'm not sure what it works out in PPM, but I know I've got 100 ml of moly in the diff. Not looking for any performance gains at all, I only put it in for experimental purposes so to speak.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Any idea what the difference is between Getriebeoil and GearProtect?

Getriebeoil contains MOS2, whereas GearProtect is more like a 'modern' upgrade (bit like MOS2 Engine Treatment and Cera Tech). I haven't asked about the ingredients in GearProtect, but I'll find out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back