More smokey meat treats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My smoker has been getting a workout this week.

A couple 5 lb. pork butts for a work picnic. Dry brined in salt a day ahead. Rubbed with Memphis Dust just before they went in. 14.5 hours in the smoke. No wrapping, no spritzing... just an easy, drama-free smoke.

Rubbed and ready
bxjMZhQl.jpg

Looks good enough to eat
LfEFdvAl.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the shredded finale... there was a line forming waiting for it to be served. No leftovers. I'll take that as a compliment.

What kind of smoker? Im dying to get one.. I have a cheap one that just aint good enough to retain heat.. Good for getting a bit of smoke flavor.. Thats about it. Looks amazing!

I did a few of these a couple of months ago. One thing I learned is to buy a bigger one than I think I'll need. Why? They really shrink.

Second is to have the butcher remove the bone: He knows just how to do it and I don't have to pay for it in weight.

I Love Animals: They're Delicious!

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
What kind of smoker? Im dying to get one.. I have a cheap one that just aint good enough to retain heat.. Good for getting a bit of smoke flavor.. Thats about it. Looks amazing!

I have a large Big Green Egg. It is fantastic at holding heat, but it's also a totally luxury item. You don't need to spend this much to get good BBQ.

What kind of smoker do you have now? Check around on the internet. There are tons of sites for just about every cooker imaginable with tips on how to how to insulate them and generally make them function better.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I did a few of these a couple of months ago. One thing I learned is to buy a bigger one than I think I'll need. Why? They really shrink.

Second is to have the butcher remove the bone: He knows just how to do it and I don't have to pay for it in weight.

I Love Animals: They're Delicious!

*** Oh Man.... I have to respectfully disagree. Leave the bone IN a Boston Butt when you smoke it!

JP

Originally Posted By: JPP

*** Oh Man.... I have to respectfully disagree. Leave the bone IN a Boston Butt when you smoke it!

JP

Agreed. There are a lot of uses for the bone once the meat has been removed. It's great for stock, soups, etc.

I agree when making pulled pork, as the meat is easily removed from around it. However, I was making grilled pork tacos which involves slicing a PB into 3/4" slabs, braising for a few hrs. in a chili-rich liquid, then grilling these slabs to crisp up the edges. Thus, boneless was necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back