More Saab brake hose difficulty

I posted a few days ago about the front hose on my Saab 9-3. Today I changed the rears.

I had some difficulty on one side. I think it's okay now, but I was wondering whether I need to worry about further issues.

This car uses a banjo bolt to attach the hose to the calipers. The left side went on reasonably well, but leaked a bit after I had it together. I tightened the banjo bolt a little more, but it still leaked. Upon taking it apart, I noticed some corrosion and debris built up on the caliper near the fitting, so I took a fine file and dressed the area, followed by 600 grit and 1000 sandpaper. I also flat sanded the copper washers to make sure that they were flat. I put it all back together, and it all seemed to fit better. I appears not to leak.

I assume all is well now, but I don't have a lot of experience with these banjo bolt fittings. Do I need to keep an eye on this fitting now, or worry about a leak in the future?

I would keep an eye on it until something else to worry about comes by.

If you didn't, you should have used a NEW Copper Washer.

Last edited:
I did reuse the washers that I first installed, but I sanded them to remove some of the ridges from the first install.

Removing any corrosion is a must for a leak free seal, you have done that and it is not leaking so forget it. Any further issues use aluminum washers, they are softer and provide a better seal.
Thanks Trav. The original washes were aluminum. I suppose I could try to recondition them.

I tried to get some washers the other day at NAPA, and it was hopeless. Advance was a little better with a Dorman kit, but their selection was also poor.

I rechecked this morning. The fitting is seeping a little. I'll change the washers to see if that helps.

That's two Washers per Banjo Bolt .... correct ?
---- Bolt Head (top)
---- Washer
---- Block with Brake Hose
---- Washer
---- Caliper (bottom)
Yes.

I took it all apart again. I sanded flat the original washers and reused them. It's still leaking.

I am trying to find new washers, but it's proving difficult. They seem to be 17mm O.D., 12mm I.D., 1.5mm thick.

Yes.

I took it all apart again. I sanded flat the original washers and reused them. It's still leaking.

I am trying to find new washers, but it's proving difficult. They seem to be 17mm O.D., 12mm I.D., 1.5mm thick.
Go to a NAPA Store and see if they can help you.

Last edited:
Don’t sand copper washers, ever, you’re introducing tiny, oil-leaking, flaws in the surface.

You can re-use them (if they haven’t been ruined by sanding) by annealing - heating them cherry red, and letting them cool. It softens them and they can be reused.

Go get new washers. Remember the anneal trick for next time.

Back