More Lithium-ion battery fun, umbrellas catching fire, Costco recall

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021

Health Canada is warning shoppers about a major recall at Costco stores.

This recall involves more than 32,000 SunVilla 10 foot Solar LED Market Umbrellas. The patio umbrellas were sold in various colours and have LED lights on the inside arms of the umbrella, according to Health Canada.

"The lithium-ion batteries may overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard," Health Canada said in its recall warning issued Thursday, June 23.

As of June 9 2022, the company has received one report of a battery overheating and umbrella catching fire in Canada, and no reports of injuries. In the United States, the company has received five reports of batteries overheating with four reports of umbrellas catching on fire and 1 report of a smoke inhalation injury.

"Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled umbrella," Health Canada said, and remove the Solar Panel from the top of the umbrella, store the panel out of the sun and away from combustible material, and "do not charge the panel with the AC adapter."

The company reported that 32,702 units of the affected product were sold in Canada and 222,303 were sold in the United States from January 2021 to May 2022.

1656091410742.jpg

"Finally, here's our friend, the Sun!"
"NOOOOOO!"

Most simple solar outdoor lights use lithium phosphate batteries instead of lithium ion. The lithium ion type is very prone to explode if charging is not precisely limited.

Last edited:
I am worst than lithium batteries when it comes to umbrellas. Years ago some friends moved into a 4th floor flat which was the top floor and we were all sitting out on the large balcony. I had the bright idea to have a BBQ on a small hibachi, it wouldn't light very well so I was using a bellows to encourage it a little.
The next thing you know there was yelling and screaming bellow, the geezer on the 3rd floor had a big umbrella and was chillin out reading the paper, he looked up and the umbrella was on fire from hot embers, he threw it down and almost hit a woman walking her little dog. About 2 min later he was banging on the door all red faced and screaming. Long story.

Most simple solar outdoor lights use lithium phosphate batteries instead of lithium ion.
Source? From what I've seen, most "simple" (meaning cheap), don't use LiFePO4.

I do think they should, for the greater # of recharge cycles, but it's not hard to precisely charge any of these now that there are custom ICs built for purpose.

Last edited:
The really cheap lights use a single AA or AAA NiMH or even a NiCd. The ones in the over $10.00 price class with larger panels and spotlight type output are generaly LiFePO.

I am worst than lithium batteries when it comes to umbrellas. Years ago some friends moved into a 4th floor flat which was the top floor and we were all sitting out on the large balcony. I had the bright idea to have a BBQ on a small hibachi, it wouldn't light very well so I was using a bellows to encourage it a little.
The next thing you know there was yelling and screaming bellow, the geezer on the 3rd floor had a big umbrella and was chillin out reading the paper, he looked up and the umbrella was on fire from hot embers, he threw it down and almost hit a woman walking her little dog. About 2 min later he was banging on the door all red faced and screaming. Long story.

Was the dog okay?

Back