More Honda Filter Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this website incase anyone was interested. Big vs Smaller honda filter

I am thinking about buying the Nippon equivalents of these two filters. I just cannot decide whether to buy the larger one or the new smaller one.

[ March 30, 2005, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: HondaRD ]

That's interesting. However I suggest that you consider the "PCX" filter specified on the Honda S2000. IIRC, it has more media than the PLM filter, and is roughly the same size.

This has been discussed many times at s2ki.com.

Yes, I've used the filter for the S2000 in the past, and while I have nothing negative to say about it, I can get Nippon filters for 1/3 the cost.

Interesting reading. The only problem I have with it is the logical fallacy that since Honda uses this design for engines which are covered by warranty then they must be good filters.

The vast majority of ways in which filters fail do NOT lead to catastrophic engine failure. If anything, filter failure will lead to marginally faster wear rates. A filter with the media torn away from the end caps is not going to cause an engine to self-destruct and is not going to cause an event which creates a warranty coverage expense for Honda or the filter maker.

However, product cost is an immediate and huge issue for the manufacturer. If Honda, or any company, can make a change which takes $.10 per unit cost out then the advantages to the manager and/or engineer who gets to crow about the savings can make great career leaps forward.

John

I would use an after market filter or the Nipon Denso or whatever alternative. Both seem better filters than the PH 3950 that was the last Fram I ever will buy. It does seem to have a silicone ADBV and much more filter area than the 3 3/4'' x 3'' PH 3950.

Some good data, but I fault some of the conclusions.

Orange doesn't guaranty silicone rubber. When I worked for a wire manufacturer, they make all sorts of orange rubber.

10 little holes may not flow more than 8 bigger ones. Got to look up flow through holes. In pipes, it is not the square of the radius, but the 4'th or 5'th power. A 5 mm pipe will flow less than half a 6 mm one at the same pressure and viscosity.

I doubt a ''perfect'' hard plastic to metal bypass seal: I like metal to rubber better.

''The can is smaller, 80% of the old one, so would take slightly less time for the engine to build pressure on a cold start, when the center pipe would be dry. '' Not unless the orange ADBV failed.

I am glad the ST 3950 still has a metal to rubber bypass at the thread end and metal end caps.

I've read a few threats now about the PLM vs PT7 filters, and how people have been going with the PCX from the S2000 and Insight, but how come I have never heard any mention of the PL2 filter found on the NSX, or JDM HAMP filters on this website?

The JDM HAMP filters appear to be almost exactly the same as the PCX - but come in a green casing.

I'm using Nippon (Union Sangyo) filters for my Acura RSX. I bought a case of 12 for less than $3.50 ea--shipped.

They're similar in size and construction to the big Toyo Rokis used on the Honda S2000, except that the Union Sangyo is slightly smaller and has slightly less media, and the media is a different color.

Here are some media area comparitive measurements that I made:

Honda/Toyo Roki 159.7 sq. in. (oversize)
Union Sangyo 125.0 sq. in.
Fram TG7317 119.8 sq. in.
Honda/Fram 115.3 sq. in.
Bosch Prem 3323 106.3 sq. in.
Fram PH7317 102.0 sq. in.
Fram X2 3593A 95.5 sq. in. (oversize)
Wix 51356 94.56 sq. in.
M1-110 87.75 sq. in.
ST 7317 61.9 sq. in. (oversize)
ST 6607 52.25 sq. in.

-

I am considering using that Nippon Filter as well. I can get those for half the price of a wix. However, I am not sure if I have more confidence in Nippon over Wix when doing a 7000 miles oil change interval. They do have more surface area than wix though.

HondaRD,

Not certain what WIX you're using ... WIX part number (51356) in Jay's post is the smaller filter specified by WIX for Honda applications. WIX 51334 is the filter that correlates to the older/larger Honda 15400-POH-305 filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back