More Fram Stuff/Fram Filter Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had Walmart change my oil. The manager stated they did not have any Fram's in stock at the time they changed my oil and were using another type. Apparently they did have a Fram as I have one installed, I saw some orange under my car with some gray on it....It does not worry me too much as I used them for the first 60k of my car's life with 4k+ OCI (free dealer changes except filter).

Anyway I inquired about life of filter and according to rep this is what I got:

Harper,

Thank you for your reply e-mail regarding the PH3593A oil filter.
We welcome the opportunity to be of assistance.

Typically Fram Extra Guard ("PH") oil filters have a service life of
3,000-4,000 miles in normal operating conditions. However keep in mind that
extreme weather conditions and severe driving conditions can also play a
part in the service life.

Thank you for choosing Fram filters. We trust you find this information
useful.

Cordially,

Joslyn Summers
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department

I guess I will dump the Mobil 1 at 4k miles.

OK, on my car, 88 grand am, it says that under non-severe conditions the oil only has to be changed at 7500 miles, and the filter can go even longer. If this Fram is supposed to meet manufactorer's specifications, how come it won't last as long as the manufactorer says is OK?

-T

What about the cars that still recommend changing the filter every OTHER oil change? While none of us here probably do this, this filter would not even begin to meet this interval.

Either the tech. made a mistake, or this is their way to sell more filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
Or just change the filter and top up the oil.

Out of curiousity, if you change the filter won't a bunch of oil come out of the motor as the filter is low or just some?

Yes, but in order to meet the Manufactorer's specification, as Fram always says they do, they would have to meet the 15,000 mile lifespan the manufactorer specifies.

BTW, If I change my filter I lose all my oil.
grin.gif

-T

It might be that the car manufacturers stipulating 7,500 intervals and/or changing your filter only every other are doing so for OEM filters only.

Cheap, chizzling chinsters who buy Frams need not apply.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

"I had Walmart change my oil. The manager stated they did not have any Fram's in stock at the time they changed my oil and were using another type. Apparently they did have a Fram as I have one installed, I saw some orange under my car with some gray on it...."

Did you guys ever think that maybe Wal-Mart actually DIDN'T have any FRAMs in stock and they just didn't change the old filter. Maybe that's why you still see the orange filter on your car. Cause they just didn't change it. Trust me this has happened to numberous people I know that go to fast lube places. Next time before you get your oil changed there, wipe the oil filter down (clean it up so it looks new),make an inconspicuaous mark with a permanent marker somewhere that can't really be noticed, and check it when there done. And if they didn't change it, ream them a new a$$hole and say you want your money back.

Actually there's a much more likely answer. Walmart, and other shops that use Fram, use a cheaper Fram filter called a "pro" filter. These come unpackaged in bulk, and they get them for less. They probably ran out of pros for the car, so they had to go grab a normal Fram off the shelf.

-T

FWIW, I once emailed WIX about how long their filters were good. Got the same answer (3-4K miles). I think it's BS.

I guess 3MP's oil study with the Napa wix was a fluke?
rolleyes.gif

Like I tell people, if you're that worried about your oil filter buy 5 supertechs for $2 each and change it every 1000 miles. =)

I'm sure the say 3k to 4k to be safe. This way if you do 10k miles and something goes wrong they can't be blamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back