Morals and working with the public

Here are a few example of morals.
Don’t steal
Don’t murder
Don’t cheat
Don’t lie

I do not see in the OP where any of the above was violated.

All this “be nice” bs is not morals at all. In fact it’s the opposite. Because it forces people to betray the true morals, in order to appear “nice” and not offend others. The fear of offending is greater than the truth.

Not everything is all bad, but much can be cited as such.

When I was a kid I got beat up physically. My mom hated it. But the school administration said both your son, and the person who started, are both being punished. We didn’t see it. So my mom said in that case, my son will be fighting back.

I learned to fight and have done so as late as 2008 when I was mugged on the NYC subway. At that time I was still fearless and took on 4 guys.

Flash forward to having a son born 2013. By 4th grade he’s never been teased nor bullied like I was. He has no need to learn to fight. Bullying isn’t acceptable like it was in my time. The downside is my son is nearing black belt in Karate, but honestly he won’t have the fighting skills I had around his age.

I would argue my mom was totally moral in teaching me to stand up for myself. Some of this can be translated to dealing with the public and work. We expect integrity and don’t have to be doormats

Not everything is all bad, but much can be cited as such.

When I was a kid I got beat up physically. My mom hated it. But the school administration said both your son, and the person who started, are both being punished. We didn’t see it. So my mom said in that case, my son will be fighting back.

I learned to fight and have done so as late as 2008 when I was mugged on the NYC subway. At that time I was still fearless and took on 4 guys.

Flash forward to having a son born 2013. By 4th grade he’s never been teased nor bullied like I was. He has no need to learn to fight. Bullying isn’t acceptable like it was in my time. The downside is my son is nearing black belt in Karate, but honestly he won’t have the fighting skills I had around his age.

I would argue my mom was totally moral in teaching me to stand up for myself. Some of this can be translated to dealing with the public and work. We expect integrity and don’t have to be doormats
Hard men create easy times.....easy times create soft men......soft men create hard times.....hard times create hard men. Repeat. We're presently in #3

I think there is a difference between adding on money as a "fee" to help someone vs. taking advantage of them. Most of the public wants everything done for free. People's time is valuable. For my side business I mark-up my parts a little bit. Why? Because I spend time looking them up, ordering them, researching what is better, etc.

Taking advantage of someone would be lying and selling them a service or part they don't need. I work in the IT field, and run a helpdesk. Most of my staff exist simply because people can't google the answers to their problems, so instead they pay us to do it for them as a service. ;)

I think there is a difference between adding on money as a "fee" to help someone vs. taking advantage of them. Most of the public wants everything done for free. People's time is valuable. For my side business I mark-up my parts a little bit. Why? Because I spend time looking them up, ordering them, researching what is better, etc.

Taking advantage of someone would be lying and selling them a service or part they don't need. I work in the IT field, and run a helpdesk. Most of my staff exist simply because people can't google the answers to their problems, so instead they pay us to do it for them as a service. ;)
Just had a guy call me and say his mom's '19 Rogue needs a timing chain. I asked what the symptoms were. He said it's at 100k. I said there's no interval on those and absent timing-related codes and further diag, I won't do it and he should be suspect of any shop that would.

But I'm sure some shops would just take the job..... I would consider that immoral -- unless maybe the informed customer still INSISTS

Real programmers program in assembler!!
Stores and loads in general purpose registers for the win, baby! In the IBM 360/370 Assembler Set, register to register integer arithmetic is the fastest thing it can do.
I'll correct you, you meant to say, "Punch cards".
I programmed For-trash on punch cards. Don't mix 'em up! Lousy language, by the way. COBOL was the 1st great data management program. Well written COBOL reads like a book...

Last edited:

UPS Store comes to mind. I don’t have anything against them many of them are super nice. But when they charge $28 to ship a package I cringe. If the person would have simply opened a free account at home, likely would have been $17. Should they help people to setup accounts in the store to save them money? I don’t think so…

Some customers want the convenience of going to one place to find what they need, rather than going all over the internet or chasing all around town to find it themselves a few dollars cheaper. By finding these parts from various suppliers for the customers, your boss is not "screwing" anybody. He is providing a service.

Indeed, being able to find all kinds of things from one source is what keeps Amazon going.

When I worked for a large corporation at an oil refinery, we had a big purchasing department to buy the parts and supplies necessary to keep the refinery going. When a certain part was hard to find, we had some employees called "expediters" whose job was to find sources of materials unavailable through traditional channels. And these people were paid well for doing that work.

Here are a few example of morals.
Don’t steal
Don’t murder
Don’t cheat
Don’t lie
These are ethical rules that enable society to function in a lawful manner. That is distinct from morals which are a personal set of rules. For example, I may find it morally wrong to do something that society approves or I may approve of something that society does not allow. Ethics and morals may align perfectly or they may clash. Happens all the time. A dilemma can also arise when there is an ethical or moral paradox.

These are ethical rules that enable society to function in a lawful manner. That is distinct from morals which are a personal set of rules. For example, I may find it morally wrong to do something that society approves or I may approve of something that society does not allow. Ethics and morals may align perfectly or they may clash. Happens all the time. A dilemma can also arise when there is an ethical or moral paradox.
One that happens every day. Running a red light. Legal, moral, ethical, wrapped into one.

I think you are wrong. A business is in business to make money. If he has to take the time to locate what a customer doesn't want to do himself then why shouldn't he get paid? Are you willing to go burn your gas to get parts and sell it at the same price? Are you willing to tie up your credit ordering stuff and using your time to just give it to somebody at the same price? I markup my parts at a fair rate - it is business and I should be paid for my time and using my credit and contacts to get parts. Listen if the customer is too lazy or ill informed - not my problem.
Yes, but if you are a professional mechanic, you also get the parts at wholesale. He is talking about paying retail and then marking it up further.

Morals are things that don't get you in trouble when no one is watching.

Ethics are things that people rat you for at work trying to score brown nose points.

Legalities are things that sent guys in your church group to jail 30 years ago before they joined your church group.

I was raised with morals, treat people right, dont screw people over, etc and lately working at Napa has tested this. I work at a Napa that is owned by a local family, they have 5 stores. We have more than just auto parts and the local people go into an uproar if we dont carry what they need. A guy came in recently for a raincoat which I thought was ridiculous, I wouldnt even think of going to a Napa for that but lo and behold we have them. Ill just give a few examples of my experience there the past few weeks.

Guy comes in for a starter, my manager says his famous line, “no we dont have it but we can get it”. He then goes on Amazon, orders it and marks it up 30%. He says its business, I say its wrong. I cant with a good conscience do that to someone

Guy comes in says he wants motorcraft 15W40. Again “we dont have it but we can get it” this oil is $25 per jug at Walmart. Manager sends me to the local ford dealer to get 3 jugs at $35 each, and sells it to the guy for $38 each. This is a case of the customer being misinformed that it can be had elsewhere for cheaper and also getting screwed in my opinion. Again I couldnt sell the guy this oil without feeling bad.

And lastly, a guy called today he said “can you get a starter for a briggs and stratton lawnmower?” Didnt say what kind, what model etc I said well bring the starter Ill match the numbers. He said cant you tell by the number of teeth? I said no he said nevermind got mad and hung up. I told my manager, he sided with me and said what they think were magicians? The public thinks we can solve the worlds problems and if we dont carry a part they need, god forbid.

I hope Im not wrong here, what Im saying is dont drink the koolaid. There are better and less expensive ways to get parts. Napa is way overpriced. While I do like to shop local when I can, I quote one of my best friends when we were talking about living in this expensive world.

“Before I support local, Im gonna shop online and support my wallet” I cant blame him for that, I try to save where I can when I can. Just a lil rant for today.

Well the customer is left to decide whether he wants to buy oil at the marked-up price. Sure there are other places people can go but they opted for your store. The manager is fulfilling the customers need (i.e. Motocraft 10w-40). If the customer wasn't happy with the price he could shop elsewhere but typically they're not interested in shopping around. Their time is valuable as well.

Now there could be an argument over charging different prices for people the manager "likes" or "dislikes".

I'll correct you, you meant to say, "Punch cards".
I had many decks of punch cards in my desk. And then the rubber bands started to dry out and break and the decks were a mess, jumbled together. And one day I could not find the card reader as it was gone. And they got rid of the impact printer that printer on green stripe that eventually turned yellow.

Morals are things that don't get you in trouble when no one is watching.
Morals should get person into trouble with their conscience. Ethical concerns may not cause an emotional crisis but there is also overlap between ethics and mortals.

We must differentiate between

immoral (I choose "evil" knowingly)
amoral (My values don't include good and evil - something is wrong with me)
nonmoral (Morals don't affect the choices I make. Should I wear briefs or shorts?)
unmoral (Attributed to things like natural disasters and objects. A rock that falls on your head is unmoral, a bee that stings you is also unmoral)

Ethics are things that people rat you for at work trying to score brown nose points.

Ethics are quite like common laws. Someone could be an immoral swine but still act ethically.

Legalities are things that sent guys in your church group to jail 30 years ago before they joined your church group.
Whatever it takes to make a good impression.

Stores and loads in general purpose registers for the win, baby! In the IBM 360/370 Assembler Set, register to register integer arithmetic is the fastest thing it can do.

I programmed For-trash on punch cards. Don't mix 'em up! Lousy language, by the way. COBOL was the 1st great data management program. Well written COBOL reads like a book...
Except most S/370 is business dealing with money. Money does into PD format. No one wants their paycheck in binary dollars.

Back