Mopar vs. Wix vs. Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with 114k.
Oil: Rotella T6 5w40.

I'm exploring my filter options for my Jeep and was wondering what the differences are between them. I've used Purolator in the past without issues, but figured I'd try a few more.

The applications are:
Mopar MO-090
Napa Gold (wix) 1085
Purolator L14670

I've tried the Pure One but my oil pressure seemed to be very high while using the Rotella/PureOne combo. What are the differences between the above filters? Which one is better for the price? I know the Purolator Classic doesn't have a silicone anti-drainback valve, not sure about the others though. Who makes the Mopar filter and how does it flow?

The US Mopars used to be made by Purolator,supposibly Magneti Marelli was going to take over some of the Mopar supply issues,dont know if they have taken over those yet.... Canadian Mopar filters are Wix.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I've tried the Pure One but my oil pressure seemed to be very high while using the Rotella/PureOne combo.

That is a GOOD thing. The Jeep 4.0, like most engines for that matter, measures oil pressure at the outlet of the filter, not the inlet. Higher oil pressure at the outlet of the filter means that the filter is introducing LESS restriction to flow, resulting in more flow into the engine's oiling system, and therefore higher measured pressure because the increased flow makes the engine clearances and the relief valve (NOT a filter bypass!) become the pressure limiting factor. The P1 has a denser filter media, but it makes up the for it with much more media surface area. So you get good cleaning AND free flow. Nothing wrong with any of the others you mention, but P1 is significantly better than the other 3 IMO.

Also, you can run a PL30001 instead of the PL14670 for even more filter area. The thread pitch, bypass relief pressure, and anti-drainback valve are all identical between the two, the only difference is that the PL30001 is longer and has more filter material inside.

So in a nutshell, my #1 pick for the Jeep 4.0 (and what I run on my own) is a Pure 1 PL30001. My next pick would be Wix (in 51515 size), followed by a Purolator classic L30001, followed by Mopar. The only reason I rank Mopar last is because they can change who they're buying from at any time, and I like *knowing* what kind of filter I'm getting.

Makes sense, I didn't know that's how the oil pressure was determined on the Jeep. I just figured that the higher pressure meant it was restrictive and causing less flow. The Napa Gold and PureOne seem to be about the same price here. I like my Purolator Classic, but I figured its probably better to have something with a silicone valve since the 4.0L filter is horizontal.

Just curious, what is your cold start pressure on your 4.0L? My pressure seems higher when cold with the Rotella T6 5w40 over the T5 10w30, even though the T6 is a 5w when cold.

"Also, you can run a PL30001 instead of the PL14670 for even more filter area. The thread pitch, bypass relief pressure, and anti-drainback valve are all identical between the two, the only difference is that the PL30001 is longer and has more filter material inside."

Make sure you do not have clearance issues.On my 2000 Dakota I do not have enough room for anything bigger than a 1068.

Just curious, what is your cold start pressure on your 4.0L? My pressure seems higher when cold with the Rotella T6 5w40 over the T5 10w30, even though the T6 is a 5w when cold.

The funny thing is they are different even with the same oil and filter. I chalk that up to factory gauges and/or engine tolerances, although I've verified that the 99 is pretty close to accurate by checking with a mechanical gauge.

The 99 idles at about 65 psi cold and will hit ~75 if you rev it up a bit, idles at 20 psi hot. At cruise speed it runs 60 PSI hot, all on Rotella T6.

The 2001 is much lower on the same T6 oil and on a couple of different filter types. It hits maybe 60 PSI cold, but when hot it only reaches ~40-45 psi at cruise and idles at 15 or even a little less. Its been checked for coolant contamination (the 01 is subject to cracking "331" cylinder head casting) and is fine on that score. Its just the way it is, I guess.

yeah I've also heard the stock gauges aren't the most accurate. With T6 and a stock sized Purolator Classic mine is 50 psi cold idle, 60 psi cold cruising, 20 psi hot idle, and 40-50 psi hot cruising.

The last time I used T6 and a PureOne, my pressure was about 5 psi higher in all categories. My Jeep also wasn't taken care of by the previous owner, and I've replaced a lot of maintenance stuff that was ignored (entire cooling system). Just peaking through the oil fill hole I can see varnish on the rockers and a tad bit of build up. I might run MMO eventually to clean it up a bit but I know Rotella is good at cleaning.

Some of my friends laugh at my "anal" maintenance.
grin2.gif
I don't really care though, its paid for, and I'm trying to make it last as long as possible.
thumbsup2.gif

Your oil pressure is high because you're using diesel oil. It's not a diesel. It requires 10W-30.

As for the filter, you can't go wrong with an OEM filter(Mopar). WIX would be a good alternative.

I'm exploring my filter options for my Jeep and was wondering what the differences are between them. I've used Purolator in the past without issues, but figured I'd try a few more.

The applications are:
Mopar MO-090
Napa Gold (wix) 1085
Purolator L14670

I've tried the Pure One but my oil pressure seemed to be very high while using the Rotella/PureOne combo. What are the differences between the above filters? Which one is better for the price? I know the Purolator Classic doesn't have a silicone anti-drainback valve, not sure about the others though. Who makes the Mopar filter and how does it flow?

Originally Posted By: johnsmellsalot
Your oil pressure is high because you're using diesel oil. It's not a diesel. It requires 10W-30.

As for the filter, you can't go wrong with an OEM filter(Mopar). WIX would be a good alternative.

The applications are:
Mopar MO-090
Napa Gold (wix) 1085
Purolator L14670

Many people run T6 in their Jeeps. I too have used M1 TDT. Both are 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back