Mopar oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You fellas that drive Dodge trucks (and i know you're out there) please tell me about your experience's with Mopar oil filters and any recommendations, if you have any.

I have a 2001 Dakota too. 3.9 V6 with 130,000 miles on it. I don't use the Mopar filters, I keep hearing Mopar just gets whoever offers the lowest bid to make their filters, right now I think it is Purolator.

I used to use the old Purolator Premium Plus filters on my truck and never had any problems with them. About 2 years ago I started using Napa ProSelect filters because they have better construction and a good flow rate, they cost less than a Purolator and at least the one for my Dakota is Made in the USA. I also use the Carquest Red label filter, it is exactly the same as the Proselect and is made in the USA too. Wix makes the Proselect and Carquest Red filters to Napa and Carquest's specs. Either filter will do a great job and they cost about $3.00.

I think I read somewhere here that Purolator has gone down some in quality in the last couple of years, and I think they got bought out by some other company but I may be wrong. It doesn't really matter to me.

You will get a lot of different answers to your question here, but I like the Napa and CQ filters. They work great and cost less. I use Napa and CQ brand oil too, which is made by Ashland (Valvoline).

M-090 on my girlfriends jeep this OCI, nice filter. Made by Purolator or Wix. Oil Pressure seemed to be more steady and oil seems to be staying cleaner longer.

I use Mopar occasionally and usually use Ford Motorcraft filters. My truck is a bit quieter on the Motorcraft.

The Mopar filter (MO-090) is actually "better" than the standard Purolator; the Mopar has the thread-end coil spring bypass that makes it unique (very similar to many Motorcraft filters). I use the Mopar MO-090 all the time on my two Mopars.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Made by purolator, great quality. Use with confidence.

x2....great filters.
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
The purpose of the string on some of the filters, however, remains a mystery.
Actually it's string used in the assembly process, seen on the larger Purolator made filters, though not seen as often now. I suspect it could be removed before the core is enclosed but must not be seen as a necessity to do so.

Quote:
The Mopar filter (MO-090) is actually "better" than the standard Purolator; the Mopar has the thread-end coil spring bypass that makes it unique (very similar to many Motorcraft filters).
The term "better" could be if applicable depending on how important one believes thread end bypass to be. Mopar and Motorcraft use it on some of their filters but not all. Some think it's more advantageous than others. IMO, it's not that big a deal either way.

Now as for Mopar efficiency rating(s) being "better" versus the standard Classic or P1, it's hard to say. The OEM's don't give as much information as the aftermarket makers like Purolator and Wix do.

Bottom line though, Mopar is a quality filter

Yes. The OEM aftermarket filter was Fram. Standard orange can. The HD option was either the ExtraGuard or the Double Guard. I think it was mentioned in my 1999 owners manual or the Factory Service Manual.

Keep mindful of your age. "Just a few years ago" ends up being more than you think. Catches me all the time. Especially with movies. Terminator isn't an old movie to me. The Green Beret is
grin2.gif

I bought and used one of thes M090's last year, i bought at walmart, and one i bought 6 years ago form al ocal mopar/jeep dealer. That was a $13 filter! the others i got at walmart, for like $5 or $6 a piece.
I own a 95 neon. my enigne did have some tick noise at startup. Ive used filters that caused no start up noise* compared to mopar. Frams being the worst, (oil light always comes on soon after, the orange can ones) followed by ac delcos.
I did notice the media did hod up very nicely, had 63 pleats in the M 090 (hacked it open) and kept the oil pretty clean* Just made some start up noise thats all. big filter too*

Unless things have changed greatly, Mopar filters are ordered & made in batches through a bid process. Might be Purolator, Fram, Wix, or whoever that makes it. Probably pretty easy to look inside & figure out the maker. They are good filters, but IMO there's nothing special about them that's worth extra money. And if a Mopar parts-counter guy tells you how great they are, I'd advise taking that with a large dose of salt.

For my new-to-me 2002 Dakota, 3.9 V6 ATx- found I have about 10 filters to fit it, since I also used those as oversize filters for the Neon. 1 white Wix 51085, a Purolator, several Purolator-made Adv Auto "red-no-slip-grip" AA16 filters, and a couple of Puro-made Texaco-brand from Fred's, most are a few years old. So I'm good for over 30,000 miles to come on filters!

If I had to go out & buy new oil filters for the Dakota- Wix, Purolator, Motorcraft, AC-Delco(admit I'm behind on the E-Core thing), and Wix-made(rare around here now) or Purolator-made house brands would top my look-for list. (Even a Fram won't hurt anything- but please don't tell anyone I said that!
grin2.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back