Mopar Extended Warranty with 100% Refund Option

8 years is a looong time.

If you truly intend to keep the vehicle that long and it will take you about that amount of time to accumulate 125K, that warranty could be helpful.

You know as well as anyone, one A/C repair could be $1500+

Problem is, if you decide to sell the truck in 4,5,6 years and haven't used the warranty, you'll get a prorated refund amount that's going to be a fraction of the $3K.

I'd personally shop for aftermarket warranty that the shops you would use, don't mind using. Probably save a grand or $1500.

I was able to get a lifetime warranty on my 2018 for about the same cost a couple weeks before they stopped selling them. I'm gonna run this truck until the wheels fall off.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Vladiator
If you do end up having any catastrophic failures (whether it is the famous HEMI issues, or maybe the eTorque isn't fully "ironed out", etc.) I am sure that the warranty will very quickly pay for itself after the first failure or two. I'd throw the $210 in there and hope for the best. If nothing breaks - you get it back. If something breaks - you're off the hook for all or most of the repair bill, which I am sure could make that $2785 look like chump change over the next 8 years.

Fair point.

Oh, and eTorque is excluded from the warranty. It is only covered under 8/80k Federal Emissions Warranty.

Check the California warranty for this. I seem to remember on the Volt we bought the warranty for the battery was better due to California requirements.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

You'll certainly use that extended warranty.

Not necessarily in 125K miles though, especially if you accumulate that in 5yrs or so.

Some BITOGers barely consider 125K miles broke in.

Critic also doesn't have to contend with rust belt issues, which are the bane of any vehicle. Little chance of corroded electronics, etc, which would be your typical cause of issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK

You'll certainly use that extended warranty.

Not necessarily in 125K miles though, especially if you accumulate that in 5yrs or so.

Some BITOGers barely consider 125K miles broke in.

Critic also doesn't have to contend with rust belt issues, which are the bane of any vehicle. Little chance of corroded electronics, etc, which would be your typical cause of issues.
Im not trying to be an FCA basher, but there's been multiple in my family. They have really used the warranty. The 14' Grand Cherokee doesn't have an extended warranty, wish we thought of getting one when we bought it.

Also, I bought a $3,400 extended warranty for my Genesis. I'm certain I'll use it.

I take all the money from all these extended warranties they want me to buy on electronics, appliances, cars, etc and put it in the bank. I'm way ahead. No way this vehicle is going to have a powertrain failure before 125k.

My biggest concern with any vehicle (all brands) are module failures requiring calibration or being registered to the VIN with a dealer scan tool. However, it appears that all the electronic gadgets that manufacturers have stuffed in vehicles seem to be pretty darn reliable.

I have purchased two extended warranties in the past. Never used them. Will never waste my money on another. I sure wish I had that money right now.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I take all the money from all these extended warranties they want me to buy on electronics, appliances, cars, etc and put it in the bank. I'm way ahead. No way this vehicle is going to have a powertrain failure before 125k.

My biggest concern with any vehicle (all brands) are module failures requiring calibration or being registered to the VIN with a dealer scan tool. However, it appears that all the electronic gadgets that manufacturers have stuffed in vehicles seem to be pretty darn reliable.

I'm not worried about a powertrain failure. It's the electronic sensors and stuff.

The Jeep has needed a fuel filler neck, transfer case control module, oil pressure sensor under the intake manifold, radiator, thermostat (CEL), and the CEL still won't go away for evap codes.

I've seen some posts about Genesis stereos costing $3k to replace, the front radar for the cruise control being $3k, the sunroof being $4k-$5k to replace etc.

Modern cars are just expensive to fix.

These extended warranties were invented to make money, end of story. The only way I'd consider an extended warranty is if I had the extra money now and anticipated a reduction in income later on that might make vehicle repairs a financial burden. Or possibly if I was buying the very first model year of a new powertrain.

If you are decided on the warranty, I think the extra $200-something is the right move in case you don't use it. Given the per month cost over the life of the warranty, it's small potatoes, but the cost of the warranty that might get returned to you in the event you don't need it, is not.

I would consider it "peace of mind". definitely get the $210 option if you are getting the warranty - and the warranty would not be a bad idea, IMHO.

If this was a Honda or Toyota product- Wouldn't need extended warranties (most of the time)

I can tell you from experience, you will use that warranty!

My parents, SIL, and good friend all bought the warranties- all used them.

For my parents (T&C) and SIL vans (Pacifica) Vans both needed now backup cameras, and a few or minor things. Other than that-good Vans..

Buddies 2018 Ram ended up with a tranny issue, along with an AC issue. Once those were fixed, the truck has been great.

You won't get a refund- pretty sure of that. But it will cover those odd issues that do pop up. And the dealerships have been great to work with.....

You are financing that $2900 warranty? So you are actually paying more! Put 50 bucks, a hundred bucks a month into some type of savings/investment and odds are you can fix that car AFTER your free factory warranties expire. An 8 year warranty only works after a 5 year power train warranty. You paid really for 3 years.

No big repairs? Then you have money for that next car.

Bought my first car in 1964 and all since NEVER an extended warranty. Never would have "beat the house" on a single car. Most guys don't brag about wasting three grand and never getting a return on it. You only hear the rare story: "I got a free engine, tranny, and AC compressor. The average cost of repairs MUST be less than your purchase...they MAKE MONEY selling extended warranties.

You need a $2700 repair to simply break even in that time period I doubt that is happening.

If you go for that provision you need to decide the threshold of repair before you use this. Eg $4k or $5k. So doubtful if you understand stats well.

Can you just self insure and leave $5k - the $2700 now in the bank?

Originally Posted by daves87rs
If this was a Honda or Toyota product- Wouldn't need extended warranties (most of the time)

I can tell you from experience, you will use that warranty!

My parents, SIL, and good friend all bought the warranties- all used them.

For my parents (T&C) and SIL vans (Pacifica) Vans both needed now backup cameras, and a few or minor things. Other than that-good Vans..

Buddies 2018 Ram ended up with a tranny issue, along with an AC issue. Once those were fixed, the truck has been great.

You won't get a refund- pretty sure of that. But it will cover those odd issues that do pop up. And the dealerships have been great to work with.....

Wrong, the extended warranty on my 2008 Sienna cost me less than half of what the rack replacement would have.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by Vladiator
If you do end up having any catastrophic failures (whether it is the famous HEMI issues, or maybe the eTorque isn't fully "ironed out", etc.) I am sure that the warranty will very quickly pay for itself after the first failure or two. I'd throw the $210 in there and hope for the best. If nothing breaks - you get it back. If something breaks - you're off the hook for all or most of the repair bill, which I am sure could make that $2785 look like chump change over the next 8 years.

Fair point.

Oh, and eTorque is excluded from the warranty. It is only covered under 8/80k Federal Emissions Warranty.

Check the California warranty for this. I seem to remember on the Volt we bought the warranty for the battery was better due to California requirements.
Unfortunately the truck is not PZEV so 8/80k applies. The Volt and Prius had a longer emissions warranty (10/150k) since they were both PZEV.

Originally Posted by JTK

Also, I bought a $3,400 extended warranty for my Genesis. I'm certain I'll use it.

Dude, you got taken! I'm so sorry.

I've bought 3 new vehicles thus far. Each time I was offered an extended warranty. When I declined, the price magically went down, then down again. I still declined. Extended warranties are third party insurance policies and the prices can be negotiated if you really want one.

Bottom line: If you're that concerned about breakdowns, don't buy the vehicle.

You need a $2700 repair to simply break even in that time period I doubt that is happening.

If you go for that provision you need to decide the threshold of repair before you use this. Eg $4k or $5k. So doubtful if you understand stats well.

Can you just self insure and leave $5k - the $2700 now in the bank?
I am looking at this as a "back pocket" option for a major repair. If I face a repair that is beyond my capabilities and well exceeds the cost of the warranty, then I would consider using the plan. Circumstances would include a new trans or the cam/lifters.

But the intention is to not use the policy if at all possible.

Back