Mopar 10 year/150K mile purple coolant alternatives

Prestone was copy-paste dexcool dyed lemon juice green for over 15 years, now it’s Dexcool with phosphates. Most store brand universals including SuperTech are still dexclones to this day. The hulk green coolant people are thinking about has been phased out for over a decade and can be found at the back shelf of the auto parts store as “conventional“ green.

Peak has Global Lifetime and 10x (basically asian OAT coolant without phosphates) as their universal offerings and they are really the only modern american 2-EHA free coolant there is.

Actually, when I recently spoke to a tech at Old World Industries...he told me that both PGL and 10X contain a small amount of phosphates.
When I asked if 10x was replacing PGL he said "Not to his knowledge"...When I asked if he thought one was superior to the other...he seemed to gush over PGL stating that it was a unique formula...

Also, I'm not 100% positive but it seems that genuine Dexcool requires Potassium 2-EHA...while many of the Dexclones substitute Sodium 2-EHA. Does this make a difference...who knows?

highly suspected to be prestone with cor-guard which is a poat/p-hoat with 2-eha and pours out like mello yello
That's what I thought at first too, but I still have to wonder if it is still a slightly different formulation that just happens to be dyed the same color. The Ford yellow is an OAT coolant with the addition of phosphates. I believe the universal coolants such as Prestone and Peak are phosphate free OAT coolants according to most antifreeze reference charts I've seen. I could be wrong though. It's hard to know for sure because Prestone doesn't provide much information online about what is actually in their products, and they may have changed the formulation over time. However, Prestone does recommend the Cor-Guard yellow for the 2019+ Fords using Ford Yellow, while recommending the grey bottle Dexcool for the 2011-2018 model years using Ford Orange (see image below). I'm inclined to think that the Ford yellow would be more comparable to the pink POAT coolant used in modern Toyota vehicles, or perhaps the blue POAT coolant that Honda has used for years, as well as newer Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Subaru vehicles. For comparison, the "Ford Specialty Green" Ford briefly used about 10 years ago is essentially the same as the green POAT used by Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, and older Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Subaru vehicles. Just goes to show that you can't rely solely on color to distinguish different coolants.

Attachments

• ea00c739-04a7-4c64-800c-5a9b9be8a8b8.b36a98819b414c7d0d9e169cc51948cf.jpeg
    ea00c739-04a7-4c64-800c-5a9b9be8a8b8.b36a98819b414c7d0d9e169cc51948cf.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 45
  • SD_672 AFZ Comparison Chart-1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 28
That's what I thought at first too, but I still have to wonder if it is still a slightly different formulation that just happens to be dyed the same color. The Ford yellow is an OAT coolant with the addition of phosphates. I believe the universal coolants such as Prestone and Peak are phosphate free OAT coolants according to most antifreeze reference charts I've seen.
Peak 10X and GL are both POATs.

Prestone’s transition to Cor-Guard removed all references to being phosphate free. The addition of phosphates is without a doubt what makes it a 10yr/300k capable coolant.

Prestone’s transition to Cor-Guard removed all references to being phosphate free. The addition of phosphates is without a doubt what makes it a 10yr/300k capable coolant.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

I would give the local dealer a look for genuine Mopar fluid. Just did my thermostat in 2011 Avenger. 5 year 100000 HOAT. One gallon of concentrated was $19.20. Was expecting much worse. In and out from parts counter in minutes.

Upon further investigation, I believe you are correct. Prestone and Peak have reformulated their universal coolants recently for even longer life. The product in the older style jugs that claimed to be good for 5 years, 150K miles was a phosphate free OAT formulation similar to Dexcool with a different color dye and perhaps minor differences in the additives. The antifreeze reference charts I mentioned in my previous thread were a few years old and describe this version of both brands. The newer jugs of both Prestone and Peak now claim that the coolant is good for 10 years, 300K miles. I believe along with this comes a new formulation that includes phosphates. So the latest universal coolants are now POAT similar to what the Asian car companies have been using for many years as well as Ford with their new Motorcraft Yellow. The attachment I have included summarizes this. Some retailers still have existing inventory of the older formulation, so it is important for people to realize the differences in what they could be buying.

Attachments

• Old vs. New Formulation.pdf
    127.2 KB · Views: 87
Crescent wrench..........check
Hammer..........check
Universal coolant..........check

Purple Prestone also?
Good catch. I hadn't seen that one yet. Probably Prestone's version of the Zerex and Peak product.
It is important to note that the colors for the European coolants can vary among brands for the equivalent formulation. First, there is the G30 or G12 formulation which is a silicate free OAT. Zerex uses violet for this, but this is actually European Pink for Prestone and Peak. Next there is the G40 or G12++ coolant which is an OAT coolant WITH silicate (Si-OAT). Zerex uses pink here, but Prestone and Peak use violet. Lastly, there is the G48 or G11 formulation which is a HOAT coolant WITH silicate. Peak uses blue, and Prestone and Zerex use teal.

Attachments

• European coolants.pdf
    204.1 KB · Views: 38
Beyond the color variations, Peak, Prestone and Zerex haven't really addressed the two VW Group coolants beyond G12++. They are G13, which is a violet colored Si-OAT like G12++, except with the inclusion of glycerin. Then after that came G12evo, which is a pink colored PSi-OAT (phosphate and silicate enhanced OAT).

In my opinion, just stick with the OEM (or equivalent) coolant while under warranty, just so you don't get any hassles at the dealer. But once the warranty is done, switch to any one of the all makes/all models coolants and also ditch the silica bag inside the coolant reservoir that VW and some others are so fond of including on these cars.

While they might finally have something that may work, here's my 2 cents. After the fiasco Chrysler had a few years back with techs topping up cooling systems and mixing OAT and HOAT coolant, wrecking havoc for their customers, I bought the Purple Mopar OAT coolant for my 2016 Jeep. For less than $25 shipped for the concentrate which will yeild me 2 gallons of coolant when mixed with distilled water, "I" wouldn't tempt fate. Opinions will vary, and this topic can easily head down the path that thick vs. thin oils often does. I'll stick with the Mopar stuff for now.
1675712025239.jpg

From what I gather:

HOAT + OAT = bad news, presumably from a silicate-containing HOAT such as G05.

View attachment 139175
From what I gather:

HOAT + OAT = bad news, presumably from a silicate-containing HOAT such as G05.
I know, it can be a horror show. I got mine from a Jeep dealer. There are certain things I won't gamble with, and that's one of them. A universal coolant, one size fits all, no thanks to that too. I'll pay a little more to rest easy. For $25 a gallon for the concentrate, and a buck or two for a gallon of distilled water it was a bargain at the time.

10x (basically asian OAT coolant without phosphates) as their universal offerings and they are really the only modern american 2-EHA free coolant there is.
I think 10x is phosphated as a response to Prestone Cor-Guard, and it’s packaged by OWI with CCI Illinois making the concentrate, the same supplier of many OE coolants(Prestone and Vavoline using BASF concentrates being the other suppliers). Prestone is now owned by a major consumer chemicals supplier, KIK.

Use Mopar coolant or do a full flush and use whatever you want. I would not mix other coolants with Mopar stuff.

I’m using regular Prestone dex clone after fully flushing the system on my Dodge minivan because I don’t want to deal with Mopar coolant pricing, availability and lack of knowledge from dealer parts people. You have to check and double check the part number because I read reports of people getting the wrong coolant from their dealer even after the vin was checked.

Back