Mopar 10 year/150K mile purple coolant alternatives

Greetings all. I wanted to bring up the topic of the purple colored 10 year/150K mile Mopar engine coolant that FCA has been using since about 2013 and possible aftermarket alternatives to it. For the most part, I have been under the impression that this is more or less a unique formulation that doesn't have an equivalent made by another brand. Recently however, I discovered some products by Zerex and Peak that are starting to appear on the shelves at many chain auto part stores. Zerex G30 is marketed as a European car OAT formulation and the product information sheet states that it meets the Fiat Chrysler spec. MS-12106, as shown on the Mopar Coolant label. Also, Peak has their "Pink" European Car formulation that they claim works in all 1995-present Fiat vehicles. Both of these are silicate free OAT coolants. From what little info I can find online, the Mopar coolant is a silicate free and phosphate free OAT coolant. I realize I am probably opening a big can of worms, but I was curious if anyone here has any insight into whether or not these are appropriate substitutes for the Mopar coolant. Of course, the obvious answer is to stick to the Mopar coolant to avoid issues, but if needed in a pinch, the Mopar coolant can be hard to obtain, since it is only available from a dealer or online.

91GGydLa+lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Zerex-AC-G30-product.jpg
OET-Euro-Pink-50-50.png

Last edited:
I think that most Dexcool formulations list the MS 12106 spec.
Supposedly this is true according to some of the companies. I chatted with a representative from Zerex and he recommended I use their Dex Cool formulation rather than the G30 as an alternative to the Mopar coolant. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be putting Dex Cool in my Dodge

Dexcool is literally every store brand universal coolant ever and prestone up to 2018. G30 AKA VW G12+ is knockoff dexcool. The + is because their original formulation sludged up with their former HOAT coolant G11 (similar to G05 used in Mopars but without nitrates).

As you can see G30 is advertised for Land Rovers, Jaguars and Saabs which all use genuine Texaco/Havoline dexcool. Hell in Europe they recommend G30 for literally anything that needs a silicate free application including asian cars since off the shelf POATs simply do not exist over there.

Last edited:
Supposedly this is true according to some of the companies. I chatted with a representative from Zerex and he recommended I use their Dex Cool formulation rather than the G30 as an alternative to the Mopar coolant. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be putting Dex Cool in my Dodge

Both coolants are straight OAT's and Dex-Cool meets the Chrysler spec, what more could you want? Maybe if it was dyed purple rather than orange it would be an easier sell.

I personally wouldn’t use anything but Mopar coolant. Other coolants like Dexcool might meet the OE specs, but the formulations could very well be just a tad different.

While they might finally have something that may work, here's my 2 cents. After the fiasco Chrysler had a few years back with techs topping up cooling systems and mixing OAT and HOAT coolant, wrecking havoc for their customers, I bought the Purple Mopar OAT coolant for my 2016 Jeep. For less than $25 shipped for the concentrate which will yeild me 2 gallons of coolant when mixed with distilled water, "I" wouldn't tempt fate. Opinions will vary, and this topic can easily head down the path that thick vs. thin oils often does. I'll stick with the Mopar stuff for now.

Mixing the Dexcool with the Mopar OAT still makes me nervous, so I did thorough cleaning/flushes of both my Dodges before refilling with Dexcool.
Dexcool mixes with any coolant made in like the past 20 years, it’s the “universal” for a reason. G12/G30 and Mopar OAT are its closest relatives, Ford Orange is an exact clone.

G05 is pretty ancient stuff but mixes just fine with G48 which also happens to use the only active ingredient in dex and all american oats. the Mopar sludge problems probably had some other factors in play.

Last edited:
Dexcool mixes with any coolant made in like the past 20 years, it’s the “universal” for a reason. G12/G30 and Mopar OAT are its closest relatives, Ford Orange is an exact clone.

G05 is pretty ancient stuff but mixes just fine with G48 which also happens to use the only active ingredient in dex and all american oats. the Mopar sludge problems probably had some other factors in play.

I’ve always taken universal to mean universal among car manufacturers and not coolant formulations. I wouldn’t be mixing Dexcool with anything or any coolant with any other formulation for that matter.

Mopar sludge, which was originally known as Dexcool sludge, is a result of people mixing coolants.. most likely by topping off Dexcool/ LL systems with green “universal” coolant.

Dexcool is literally every store brand universal coolant ever and prestone up to 2018. G30 AKA VW G12+ is knockoff dexcool. The + is because their original formulation sludged up with their former HOAT coolant G11 (similar to G05 used in Mopars but without nitrates).

As you can see G30 is advertised for Land Rovers, Jaguars and Saabs which all use genuine Texaco/Havoline dexcool. Hell in Europe they recommend G30 for literally anything that needs a silicate free application including asian cars since off the shelf POATs simply do not exist over there.
For the most part, yes. I was curious about that myself so I looked into some safety data sheets. I cannot find them for Prestone products easily, but have for Zerex and Peak. The only apparent difference between the fluorescent green "universal" coolants and Dexcool is the presence of potassium 2-ethylhexanoate in the Dexcool, which the universal doesn't have.

To provide an update on my research, I finally found a SDS for the Mopar purple coolant. The primary ingredients are 88-95% Ethylene Glycol, Diethylene Glycol, and or 2-ethylhexanoic acid, or one without?

Attachments

• Mopar SDS.pdf
    329.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Zerex American Vehicle.pdf
    338.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Zerex G30.pdf
    333 KB · Views: 106
  • Peak European Pink.pdf
    307.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Peak NA Orange.pdf
    318.3 KB · Views: 68
I’ve always taken universal to mean universal among car manufacturers and not coolant formulations. I wouldn’t be mixing Dexcool with anything or any coolant with any other formulation for that matter.

Mopar sludge, which was originally known as Dexcool sludge, is a result of people mixing coolants.. most likely by topping off Dexcool/ LL systems with green “universal” coolant.
Prestone was copy-paste dexcool dyed lemon juice green for over 15 years, now it’s Dexcool with phosphates. Most store brand universals including SuperTech are still dexclones to this day. The hulk green coolant people are thinking about has been phased out for over a decade and can be found at the back shelf of the auto parts store as “conventional“ green.

Peak has Global Lifetime and 10x (basically asian OAT coolant without phosphates) as their universal offerings and they are really the only modern american 2-EHA free coolant there is.

Last edited:
Where are you located? I think the “hulk green” is still available here, but I’m not really sure what color lemon juice green is either. Supertech here has their LL formulation as well as the “green” stuff.

If there is a universal coolant that happens to be a Dexcool clone, then yes I’d agree they can be mixed.

Where are you located? I think the “hulk green” is still available here, but I’m not really sure what color lemon juice green is either. Supertech here has their LL formulation as well as the “green” stuff.

If there is a universal coolant that happens to be a Dexcool clone, then yes I’d agree they can be mixed.
- Prestone pre-2018

- SuperTech 5/150 All Makes All Models

- O’Reilly’s Universal

- Napa Universal (Peak LL)

- AutoZone 5/150 universal

- Havoline Universal

they all pour out more like Mello Yello than a hulk green. classic IAT green is green like the grass on your lawn

Hulk Green old car coolants include:

AutoZone Green

Zerex Original Green

Peak GREEN

I would never use one of these, G05 (now celebrating its 40th birthday) has a longer lifespan and better add pack.

TL/DR: Dexcool is by far the most common and most proven antifreeze on american roads. Period. Full stop.

Last edited:
OP, I would stick with Mopar fluid instead of trying to find an aftermarket alternative. FCA has really shot themselves (and as a result, us owners!) in the foot with their spec numbering system. I dug into this pretty extensively when I bought the Giulia, some good info can be found here.

Greetings all. I wanted to bring up the topic of the purple colored 10 year/150K mile Mopar engine coolant that FCA has been using since about 2013 and possible aftermarket alternatives to it.

For something you only have to service once every 10 years or 150,000 miles, I wouldn't try and save $5 or $10 on some unknown coolant.

Peak has Global Lifetime and 10x (basically asian OAT coolant without phosphates) as their universal offerings and they are really the only modern american 2-EHA free coolant there is.

What about the new Ford yellow, isn't it a P-HOAT? Does it have 2-EHA?

Back