Monroe wouldn’t patch a trailer tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Liability reasons. Everyone sues these days for any mishap. Who needs that aggravation. I don't blame them.

Then why would they repair any tire at all?

Because trailer tires are generally junk/ throwaways compared to auto /truck tires..Next you would want them repairing your wheel barrow tire.

So what if I did? If the tire is in good shape like my trailer tire was, I'm not going to simply pitch it.

Last edited:
Liability reasons. Everyone sues these days for any mishap. Who needs that aggravation. I don't blame them.

Then why would they repair any tire at all?

Because trailer tires are generally junk/ throwaways compared to auto /truck tires..Next you would want them repairing your wheel barrow tire.

So what if I did? If the tire is in good shape like my trailer tire was, I'm not going to simply pitch it.

I think that is our point. There are not really any great/good ST tires. Putting a patch in one that is going to be rolling down the road at 60mph makes it worse.

Get a flat; replace the tire.

This is the first time I've heard such things.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Get a flat; replace the tire.

This is the first time I've heard such things.

Thank you everyone for your input.

We said trailer tire. Not every tire.

Your trailer, your car, but I have had a trailer tire blowout. Not fun. Not sure what kind of trailer you are towing but maybe it isn't big.

It's only rated for 2000 lbs. Typically hauls a garden tractor or Lowe's stuff locally.

This definitely makes me want to get a spare given the drama on getting one repaired.

It's only rated for 2000 lbs. Typically hauls a garden tractor or Lowe's stuff locally.

This definitely makes me want to get a spare given the drama on getting one repaired.

I consider having a spare tire (and the tools to change it) a necessity when towing a trailer. I own 5 different trailers ranging from a small boat that together with the trailer is maybe 700 lbs up to a 14K skid loader trailer. They all have spare tires.

Yep. I keep a spare around per vehicle.

YMMV but for years people didn't bother with balancing trailer tires. So... if you were open to it, you could just buy the HF tire changer and do them yourself. [Mine gets bolted down to my trailer when I need it.] You could replace them every few years, or when you get a flat, or on whatever schedule you want.

Most trailer tires are kinda tall and narrow, so bubble balancing might be sufficient if you want to go that route.

Got the tire back today.

They were able to put a tube in it. I'm assuming it didn't originally have one, bit I forgot to ask.

Got the tire back today.

They were able to put a tube in it. I'm assuming it didn't originally have one, bit I forgot to ask.

So what you're saying is that shop wouldn't patch it either. I would have just spent the $30 and had a new disposable tire.

Originally Posted by hatt
Got the tire back today.

So what you're saying is that shop wouldn't patch it either. I would have just spent the $30 and had a new disposable tire.

I used the word patch and repair interchangeably. My apologies.

Carlisle, Good Year and Maxxis do not recommend tubes for tubeless trailer tires as the tire flexes it will wear a hole in the tube and generate more heat on the tire.

What brand of tire is it?

I'd have to look. It's just a TSC model trailer. Just over 2 years old.

I'm planning on getting a spare (as well as one of those small aluminum jacks) so we'll see how it holds up.

Spare is a good idea. If I am towing more than 3 hours or somewhere remote I have the one on the trailer and I throw an extra in the bed of the truck.
Here is why...

2 year old properly inflated Maxxis tires that came on the trailer. Rated to 65mph. I rarely tow over 60. I had stopped about 10 minutes earlier for gas. I have an infrared thermometer that I use to check bearing/tire temp when I stop.
Headed down I 90 at about 60mph and the tire blew. It did light damage to trailer, but had so much force it blow pieces of the steel belt in to the tire behind so I had to change the one tire and limp 30 miles to the next town to get two new tires on one side.
Luckily for me all I heard was the blowout. No sway and I only realized when I looked the rearview mirror and saw some smoke coming off the tire.

I now run the Carlisle Radial Trail HD, they are pretty good and are rated to 81mph. That way I have some cushion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back