Monroe Quick Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed them on my previous 2001 Corolla. The install was a breeze and the ride was improved. The car had about 160000 miles at the time. Sold it 3 years later, no regrets.

I've used them twice - once on the front of my '04 F150 at about 145,000 miles due to a cracked coil spring and the other on the rear of my '07 Explorer at about 107,000 miles due to a failed damping unit leaking oil.

No complaints either time. Seem to be holding up fine as well as time has gone on - no extreme corrosion and the ride is fine.

When they went on, they did increase the ride height noticeably - about 1 1/2 inches in both cases. After a few months, they did settle down some.

I replaced all 4 struts with Monroe Quick Struts on my accord wagon - about 2-3 years ago - so far so good. No issues .
It improved the ride significantly for me.

I'm probably going to try a set on the Grand Marquis in my sig, the front coil springs on it are shot (known issue on my year), car drags on everything! At least with a lifetime warranty, I can always exchange them if they start leaking.

Not sure what the quick strut is but... I installed 4 Monroe Sensa-tracs on my 97 jeep. Had them on now for about 5,000 miles, the ride quality is pretty good. I think they were the budget choice at the time.

Stay away from Monroe "Economatics".They carry no warranty and are horrible.Bad mounts,sub grade coils (not the OEM gauge or # of turns),and a habit of "clunking" over bumps.

Have had squeaking from the strut mounts in my Monroe quickstruts in the auroras since day one. Monroe customer support wasn't helpful.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Not sure what the quick strut is but... I installed 4 Monroe Sensa-tracs on my 97 jeep. Had them on now for about 5,000 miles, the ride quality is pretty good. I think they were the budget choice at the time.

The Quick Strut is the entire strut assembly: strut, spring, mounts, etc which allows a person to do a "quick" removal and replacement of the assembly without having to use spring compressors. They are very convenient for a person working in their garage who may not have all the necessary tools to do it the "old-fashioned" way.

I looked into them for my escape but I went with KYB instead because KYB is supposed to have a firmer ride. I think Monroe's have a bit of a reputation for going soft in relatively short order.

If you are going to keep the car a while or do many miles, there are better options.

As mentioned, a common complaint with the quick strut is that the mounts are sub-standard and fail. As to the shock unit, I am in the process of replacing Monroe Sensa-Tracs (a "better" unit in their line) after 24k miles as they are failing. The quick struts have various shocks depending upon application, but often lower-quality than those.

A better question is to ask a vehicle-specific question - what do you want to put them in, how many miles on it, and what is the issue - just shocks, springs, etc.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I looked into them for my escape but I went with KYB instead because KYB is supposed to have a firmer ride. I think Monroe's have a bit of a reputation for going soft in relatively short order.

Quick-struts are extremely stiff because the spring inside them is not OE spec.

They will also jack your ride height like one of the posters mentioned.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Quick-struts are extremely stiff because the spring inside them is not OE spec.

They will also jack your ride height like one of the posters mentioned.

No issues like that for me with the KYBs.

As convenient as they sound I have a really good set of spring compressors last used on my 89 Honda Accord around 2011. That car had dampers (coil on shocks) at all four corners. My Mazda 3 uses conventional struts up front and shocks in the back. I would have some concern about using a non-OE spring up front keeping the originals in the rear. So, I guess it'll be the old way for me someday.

I used Sens-a-Trac dampers on the Accord after 150,000 miles on the originals. 150,000 miles later I replaced the Monroes. I had no complaints.

Yes, at install the ride height was lifted about 1 1/2 inches using the Quik Struts.

That being said, the old springs were most definitely sagging (and actually broke in one case) and the 1 1/2 inches is now more like 3/4 of an inch - and close to the original ride height, after driving and having them settle in. YMMV...

Quick struts are awesome. They save you a bunch of time and money. No need to mess with a spring compressor and put everything together, and you get all new parts.

Plus, there is a rebate this month. $100 on four struts, or $75 on two struts and two shocks.

But as someone else said, DO NOT get the cheap [censored]. Avoid Monroe's economy line (painted blue), as they have no warranty and are truly low quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back