Mom's new mower

My mom bought a new Cub Cadet with the 24 HP Kohler engine. The kids will use it to mow her small acreage. The old mower was an MTD 24HP Break and Scrapem engine with a whopping 880 hours on the unit which was pretty good I thought. Hopefully the Cub will last that long. The old one was SHOT but the motor ran great.

Attachments

• CqDMIk1GSFS9ybmw5SfiyA.jpg
    CqDMIk1GSFS9ybmw5SfiyA.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 73
Today I got the LT42 after initially planning on the S100 … this was sold locally and the JD was 50 miles, $200 more, and less power … (LT42 has 19.5 HP) … Surprised by AGM battery and LED lights …
Cut with it just now - smooth machine …

Oh, and for BITOG listeners: holds more oil and has a base upward spin on oil filter 😷

FFDF929F-B95E-4A56-8AC5-8A9A805DAC77.jpeg

They're still an MTD product, but this doesn't mean they're bad and you can't make them last.

I always advise to adjust your cutting height such that the deck doesn't ride the ground. Those wheels are only intended to ride over the occasional high spot. Allow those cutting decks to beat themselves against the ground and it will destroy itself and the whole mower.

Scrape the deck after each use, blow the whole machine off with your leaf blower and keep it in clean/dry storage and she'll last a long time.

Today I got the LT42 after initially planning on the S100 … this was sold locally and the JD was 50 miles, $200 more, and less power … (LT42 has 19.5 HP) … Surprised by AGM battery and LED lights …

Oh, and for BITOG listeners: holds more oil and has a base upward spin on oil filter 😷

View attachment 137790
I have a very similar 5x8 trailer from tractor supply, except I added plywood over the mesh floor. Did you put wider wheels and tires on it? Those look much better than the cheap ones mine came with haha.

I have a very similar 5x8 trailer from tractor supply, except I added plywood over the mesh floor. Did you put wider wheels and tires on it? Those look much better than the cheap ones mine came with haha.
Yup - use plywood with an appliance dolly etc - but mower tires land right by the cross braces …
… and got the fat tires for sand - but they are better tires/rims too …

C7EED9E9-CB9E-44B4-94F9-921B5B8070E7.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 137790

Wow, those prices have gone up! My LT46 was only $1800 back in late 2020... :oops:

My brother and I went halfsies on a little 4x7 of this style. He bought it to haul a push mower with his Wrangler and I used it to haul firewood. Sadly the mesh is starting to tear. I need to add some plywood to the deck.

My brother and I went halfsies on a little 4x7 of this style. He bought it to haul a push mower with his Wrangler and I used it to haul firewood. Sadly the mesh is starting to tear. I need to add some plywood to the deck.
had a homemade 5x10 … incredibly stout but after a wood deck over deck it was getting old and heavy …
What I like about the expanded metal trailers is you grab them and drag to the hitch even when parked on gravel … that nanny Jeep will make you put the seat belt back on to move 1/2 foot …
had trucks all my life until the Jeep - so needed something to easily grab and go for DIY or beach runs …

Back