"Momma,don't let your babies grow up to be MCSE's"

Status
Not open for further replies.
An honest question, with a paper-MCSE answer:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.co...08-full-instal/

For those of you who don't know, MCSE stands for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. This used to be a coveted certification in I.T. circles, but too many "paper MCSE's" back in the NT4 days proved that a certification means nothing when it's not combined with common sense and real-world experience. It is MUCH harder to be MCSE certified in Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2008 server w/o real-world experience. Things are more complex now.

That's why I don't just go get certified. I've worked in IT for a number of years, but I can't really move to any new positions having no real formal education (I know what I learned on my own basically!)

I'm thinking back to take an entire college course for 3 years, then maybe get the papers after if an employer wants them from their employees.

I used to teach for Sun and we had similar certifications. Certified Solaris System Admin, Network Admin, Java Programmer, Developer, etc.

I have a few students that wanted me to teach to the tests. However, most just wanted to know how to operate the equipment.

I've found most of the tests to be a joke.

The best certification tests I've seen provide you a system and ask you to add a user, set up the network with these parameters. Then you are graded on getting the tasks done in a specified time period.

You don't have to memorized command options, but do have to know a bit about the commands in case you have to look up how to do things in the man pages.

Back when I certified on Solaris 2.6 there were serious errors in the exams, so basically you had to be a good guesser/test taker to figure out how to pass.

Very little actually related to knowing Solaris.

I recently re-tested for Solaris 10 and the tests are better, but still no real hands-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back