Molybdenum Disulfide powder.

Not sure if it's advisable, but could I add the industrial grade solid powder directly to my motor oil on the next oil change interval.

If you're going to do this, add it to the bottle of oil, shake it up and let it rest a few days before the oil change. Then pour in without shaking up the bottle again. If you added too much or the stuff is clumping togehter it will be on the bottom of the container and not in your oil pan or galleries.

1.5 microns should be small enough but LM uses 0.3 microns IIRC?

No saying something bad will happen because I don’t know, but what are you hoping to accomplish with this experiment? I just don’t see any upside here. If there were, I would think the chemists would have done it already with their oil blends.

In keeping with BITOG tradition, I've often wondered what would happen if you ran your engine on 100% Assembly Lubricant? Think about it..... Zinc, Zinc, and still more ZINC!

Let's face it. If a little is good, then more has to be better. And too much should just be enough! The whole engine could turn so freely, it just might turn into a perpetual motion machine.

No saying something bad will happen because I don’t know, but what are you hoping to accomplish with this experiment? I just don’t see any upside here. If there were, I would think the chemists would have done it already with their oil blends.
Your first mistake is taking on the assumption that trained, educated and degreed chemists, know more than BITOG posters..... WRONG!

It's great for coating bullets, not so good for use in oil. That info came directly from the mfg of the stuff. It falls out of suspension in oil. Flame suit on.
I can’t imagine dumping a powder like that into my motor oil. I’m not capable nor qualified to formulate my own oil.

But maybe that’s just me.

Back