Teflon opinion

I used Teflon powder in parafin on bicycle chain lube. It works, but difference to bare parafin is minimal.
I reuse parafin, filtering dirt through thin 1 ply paper towel. With Teflon it's hard to do. It will block the paper. Like a impenetrable puding layer...

I'm afraid Teflon powder in car will just block filter , forcing open the bypass...
You have been warned.

IMG_20230322_202545261.jpg

I reuse parafin, filtering dirt through thin 1 ply paper towel.
Wow. Maybe find a cheaper supplier of paraffin instead of reusing it? It almost seems like the value of labor/time, and power to melt plus the paper towels cost is as much as the paraffin saved. In the US, 1lb is $4 at grocery stores, and cheaper still buying elsewhere in bulk.

Wow. Maybe find a cheaper supplier of paraffin instead of reusing it? It almost seems like the value of labor/time, and power to melt plus the paper towels cost is as much as the paraffin saved. In the US, 1lb is $4 at grocery stores, and cheaper still buying elsewhere in bulk.
More like dust from wear, than road dirt .
Paper towel works good as filter. Old parafin bricks I got for free.

I wanted to warn people about solid lubricants in cars.

More like dust from wear, than road dirt .
Paper towel works good as filter. Old parafin bricks I got for free.

I wanted to warn people about solid lubricants in cars.
what particle size is the teflon?

Motor oil shouldn't have teflon in it. Established already. How expensive are these chains? It seems like excessive burden for the slight wear difference, like a nutty thing that someone suggested without a lot of analysis.

I wouldn't even bother with paraffin, unless you put on a lot of miles in a gritty environment. Just sayin', road riding here is where a lot of miles would be put on and it's not gritty. Off-road, I've done that more and not so many miles because the terrain limits that. I suppose someone commuting on an e-bike would be a different story, but I don't.

It just seems like a lot of marketing or social media influence unless the chain is made out of exotic materials, versus the burden you're facing.

A lot of cyclist snobs would try to feel superior with their chain regimen, but I've had a very good cost/labor/chain-cost trade off doing something very simple.

I have a tub, and put a gasoline/grease mix in it. I run the chain through it, agitating it a bit, and a toothbrush to get off solid particles. Remove chain, and gasoline evaporates away, leaving the grease. Solid particles settle out and I can pour off the gas/grease mix and reuse that. Plus the gas/grease mix is useful for other cleaning parts purposes besides bicycles. If the chain wears a little bit more, I don't care, labor and time saved greatly trumps chain lifespan versus replacement cost difference.

We may have a different situation, but I have never realized a reason to change my ways... It is absurd to me to use special bicycle chain lubes unless a specific scenario like off-road use in very sandy environments, or else it's some exotic bike where there was much snake oil advertised about how extra-special a chain was that duped the buyer into paying an extreme amount, so they are trying to protect their faux investment.

Last edited:
According to tests, parafin chain lasts thousands of km. With oil, stretching comes much sooner.
Non greasy and black hands, legs are bonus.
In future I will not bother adding anything to parafin. Not worth it for me.

I'd skip the application in any ICE and suggest the same for the bike. Check out ProLink bike lube. Great stuff IMO.

https://progoldmfr.com/product/prolink-chain-lube/

It's not that bad for a bike, but that's not a high temp application and suspended Teflon particles might actually do some good. There was a time when there were a couple of spray/bottle lubes marketed for bike chains, including Super Lube and Tri-Flow. Super Lube dried almost like a gel, while Tri-Flow was very thin with suspended PFTE particles.

But no way would I want that in an engine. PFTE has been known to clump up in the worst places including oil filters. I was silly enough to try Slick 50 back in the early 90s. After a while I found this crusty mess that clumped up near the oil filter hole that had to be scraped off. But there was absolutely nothing on the cams, where I could see it through the oil filler hole. It didn't do anything other than coalesce and harden around the lowest oil flow parts of the engine. The filler cap threads obviously get some oil that wedges in the threads but otherwise stays there for a while.

It's not that bad for a bike, but that's not a high temp application and suspended Teflon particles might actually do some good. There was a time when there were a couple of spray/bottle lubes marketed for bike chains, including Super Lube and Tri-Flow. Super Lube dried almost like a gel, while Tri-Flow was very thin with suspended PFTE particles.

But no way would I want that in an engine. PFTE has been known to clump up in the worst places including oil filters. I was silly enough to try Slick 50 back in the early 90s. After a while I found this crusty mess that clumped up near the oil filter hole that had to be scraped off. But there was absolutely nothing on the cams, where I could see it through the oil filler hole. It didn't do anything other than coalesce and harden around the lowest oil flow parts of the engine. The filler cap threads obviously get some oil that wedges in the threads but otherwise stays there for a while.

I tried that :poop: had to be early 90's in a Chevy S10 Blazer with an engine that was not in the best shape. Slick-50 was useless garbage but the marketing made you believe there was magic in that there bottle!

Back