Moly... who believes in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering.... Seems like it's the ultimate additive, to me anyway. Yet some oils have none of it...
Moly opinions anyone?

Of the three oils that I have taken samples of, the one with Moly came out on top-by far.

It's important. Look at the Schaeffers 9000 going over 70,000 miles in the UOA forum. Schaeffers is loaded with moly. You can read about it here on the opening page. Interesting stuff.

Delo has a fair shot in it as well. It is my belief and experience that Delo will outperform some/most in UOA's. I also have some Schaeffer's that I will be running in the fall.

Who has a current chart for moly and zddp levels in motor oils?Does an oil,(Castrol 20-50 API M)have more of these than the new Rotella 15-40 API CJ4? Vehicle is stock 1979 Dodge pickup 2WD W/225 slant six and 88,200 orig. miles.

Moly Mb and Zinc Zn and Phosphorus P are especially good for flat tappet engines and 60's and 70's heavier valve trains.Also good for porsche,VW. THANKS.

Schaeffers 9000 supreme for my truck,2004 dodge cummins and supreme 7000 for the wifes car.We switched last year to all schaeffers oil and grease and could not be more happier.I guess that makes me a moly junkie
laugh.gif
coobie

Moly gives you added protection and acts as a backtop when oil is not present, is an excellent anti-oxidant, and aproven friction modifier.
It makes oil better.
Take the right moly with the correct balance and I think you will make any engine oil better.

Moly is just OK. Certainly not "ultimate". Lots of excellent UOA's, engines and oils over the years with zero Mo added.

It helps at low to medium levels, but is not a panacea or is it a "more is better" additive. A khrap oil formulation with some Moly chucked in will not be transformed to GC (which btw has how much Mo?).

To automatically say a lubricant without Mo is bad, would be a gross display of ignorance and should land you back in newbie purgatory.

I have to then ask the question - why is the moly dissapearing?

Does it react with catalytic converters? Or, does it show up as a heavy metal in exhaust analysis for clean air emissions regulations?

There must be a reason it is dissapearing from our oil add packs??.

Take the old Pennzoil Diesel Longlife 15-W-40 I've used for a lot of years now!

Back in 2005 when Caterpillar carried out a virgin oil analysis according to the library here - it had 118 ppm moly in it!

Today (2007) when I get my oilguard & caterpillar UOA's back with that exact same oil, it has 3 or 2 ppm Moly in it!

Where did all the Moly go? and why?

If it is so good, why is it that the Mobile Delvac 1 fully synthetic (which everyone agrees is a great oil formulation) has NONE in it according again to the Caterpillar Virgin oil analysis on this website?

I thought Moly was agreat additive - but there must be a reason it's dissapearing faster than doghnuts at the policemans ball!
stooges.gif

Anyone?

Quote:

I have to then ask the question - why is the moly dissapearing?

Does it react with catalytic converters? Or, does it show up as a heavy metal in exhaust analysis for clean air emissions regulations?

There must be a reason it is dissapearing from our oil add packs??.

Take the old Pennzoil Diesel Longlife 15-W-40 I've used for a lot of years now!

Back in 2005 when Caterpillar carried out a virgin oil analysis according to the library here - it had 118 ppm moly in it!

Today (2007) when I get my oilguard & caterpillar UOA's back with that exact same oil, it has 3 or 2 ppm Moly in it!

Where did all the Moly go? and why?

If it is so good, why is it that the Mobile Delvac 1 fully synthetic (which everyone agrees is a great oil formulation) has NONE in it according again to the Caterpillar Virgin oil analysis on this website?

Anyone?

The reason Moly disappeared from PZLL was SOPUS bought PZ and then basically switched PZLL into repackaged Rotella-T.

Hammer

Quote:

The reason Moly disappeared from PZLL was SOPUS bought PZ and then basically switched PZLL into repackaged Rotella-T.

That may well be - the seconed half of my question however also stated that Delvac 1 Synthetic has no Moly either!

Your not saying Delvac 1 is Rotella as well are you? and that a buyout was also the cause?

It was a legitimate question - if the peanut gallery don't know the answers then fine just say so (or better still butt out alltogether)!

The reason for the mirth is lost on me and I'm no more educated about the dissapearing moly!

As some past longstanding members (and sponsors) are claiming privatley, the standard of advice at these forums has nose dived appreciably at the hands of a minority of late!!

Thats a pity IMHO!
I guess I have a need to find another oil forums if one wants knowledgeable answers delivered without the attitude & innuendo by a few full of pizz & vinegar!

Maybe time Bob took back control of his forums for a while also!
hornets_nest.gif

Cheers!

Could it be cost? boron?
Quite obviously i am in the pro-moly camp. i have seen nor heard of any negatives with regards to your queries.
offtopic.gif

Don't leave just yet Flywest, perhaps the Board will cycle thru its latest phase of attitude.

As far as I can remember, no Mobil products, including Delvac 1, has ever used Moly in the additive makeup. They use a different mix of additives, of which I think it is sodium is a telltale element in the OA. With delvac 1 it is not a question of the moly disapearing, as there was never any in the first place.

Quote:

Quote:

That may well be - the seconed half of my question however also stated that Delvac 1 Synthetic has no Moly either!

Your not saying Delvac 1 is Rotella as well are you? and that a buyout was also the cause?

It was a legitimate question - if the peanut gallery don't know the answers then fine just say so (or better still butt out alltogether)!

The reason for the mirth is lost on me and I'm no more educated about the dissapearing moly!

I was only focusing on the PZLL formulation change...but as already mentioned by another, Delvac-1 never contained Moly. It was the dino version (Delvac-1300S) that contained Moly (and still does).

Hammer

perhaps moly is suspension incompatible with GrpIV base stocks?

is boron to be the new star AW/EP additive?

I'll miss the scanning electron microscope images of moly buildup on rotating metal surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back