Mold if Air Conditioning is off for 5 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

I'm leaving for Zurich Switzerland this Friday. I will not be back for 5 months. I live in Los Angeles. I would like to keep the Air Conditioning off, but I'm worried about mold. If I lived in Florida, I would have to bite the bullet and keep the air conditioning on. Otherwise, I may come back and go immediately into toxic shock from the mold. But, this is Los Angeles.

Do I need to air condition an empty apartment while no one is living in it even in Los Angeles to keep the mold away?

Thanks in advance.

I would keep it on, but I'd set it to a higher temp so that it doesn't run too much and run up your electric bill. If it turns itself on occasionally, that should sufficiently reduce moisture and mold possibility, I think.

+1 Turn it way up.
It will reduce the humidity enough for stuff not to get to funky.

That being said, you might want someone to come over once every 2 weeks and check your place out.

I've lived in to many places where my neighbors got broken pipes or leaky water heaters and flooded their downstairs, or next door neighbor.

Why don't you buy a dehumidifier that can cycle on and off as needed?

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
What's the humidity like there? your house needs to be below 60% or mold can grow. Maybe a humidistat would be the answer.

I'm in the desert part of Greater LA. So, humidity will hover near zero when I'll be gone.

I have one of those annoying "Smart" thermostats. The manual for it was lost even before I moved in. I guess I'll keep the air conditioning on, and I'll call the leasing office to see if I can get a copy of the thermostat user manual.

If I use a dehumidifier, its catch bucket might overflow and I'd have a nice green stain when I get back.

if you have it run on circulation when the humidity is low and temperature is cold, then shut it off, I don't think it would grow mold even for 5 months.

If you are concern you can always have a timer to keep it running for a few minutes per day on circulation only. I don't see why you should have the AC part running.

Originally Posted By: J
I have one of those annoying "Smart" thermostats. The manual for it was lost even before I moved in.

Are you saying you don't know how to adjust temperature in your own apartment?

Does it say what brand it is? Sometimes if you pull the front (to access batteries), the model number will be right there. Then just go to the mfg's website and download the manual from there.

Originally Posted By: J
...I have one of those annoying "Smart" thermostats. The manual for it was lost even before I moved in. I guess I'll keep the air conditioning on, and I'll call the leasing office to see if I can get a copy of the thermostat user manual...

Try Googling it, manuals for all sorts of stuff can be found on-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back