Model 3 test drive March 25

My wife and I have an appointment to test drive a model 3 Tesla Saturday morning, March 25. The test drive will be in Franklin Tennessee. To those of you who own a Tesla do you have any suggestions of what we should look for?
I will report back this weekend.

For most people, Teslas have a learning curve; these cars are different. Some struggle with this, others not so much.
Most people love the 1 pedal driving; some don't. Personally I'm spoiled.
The biggest difference is the tablet interface. I'm sure that will be explained but it takes getting used to. You have to learn voice commands.
I find the outside mirrors lacking as compared to our other vehicles.
Enjoy your test drive; keep an open mind.
Before you buy, be sure to understand charging. Good luck!

Don't get a speeding ticket...

I wonder how this works? How far is Franklin from you? Will this be the car you will buy or does Tesla have test vehicles that get shipped around?

The drive should encompass various driving routines if possible. The tech may be the focus point but check the fit and finish. Drive city and highway. Drive in a parking lot with speed bumps.

It's a new Tesla center that is opening in Franklin. It is a new car but I assume we would be ordering a car if we decided to buy, I'm still very early in the learning stage.
This test drive is really to determine if we want to move forward with this idea. On paper an electric car would work very well for us since we both commute less than 50 miles one way each day.

If you and your wife develop different opinions about EVs make them well grounded. Disputes about this automotive genre can spark fires.

Felicity Ace

felicity ace.jpg

Drove my Nephews model Y at Christmas time. I just hopped in and went, the car was fast and fun. It was in a rural area, 55 speed limit and hardly any traffic. Nothing to it, while I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I didn't have any problems.

For the most part, Teslas are ordered; stores do not carry inventory like traditional dealerships.
You can purchase loaners and demos from time to time as they are available.
Depending on your location, it seems like they are starting to having inventory cars available. For instance, I show over 30 vehicles away for delivery "soon."

Depending on your location, it seems like they are starting to having inventory cars available. For instance, I show over 30 vehicles away for delivery "soon."
Tesla builds cars in batches based on delivery location. That's why sometimes your lead time is short, other times longer. On a drive home from San Diego we musta seen 30 transport trucks on 5 South, numerous back to back, within a couple of miles.
When the Y came out, before Giga Berlin of course, I inquired about one where we got our 3, in Sunnyvale. They told me Fremont was starting to build for Europe so lead time would be 6 weeks or something, I don't remember exactly.

I believe Fremont is still the only factory in that makes the Model 3 for the US. Austin cranks out the Model Y.
Fremont is the biggest auto plant in America, by mfg numbers; more than 20K people work there.

Today was the day of the test drive of the Tesla Model 3. We arrived about 20 minutes early, our instructions were to bring our drivers license and arrive 15 minutes early. The facility was new and quite nice. But new buildings generally are nice, hard to get that wrong.
When I made the appointment for the test drive I did not know today was the open house for Franklin Tesla. They were very busy giving people a tour of their facility. However, they did have plenty of showroom employees on hand and we were quickly introduced to someone who walked us through the basic operation of the car and handed us the key card that allows you to start driving.

We were told we could be gone 30 minutes, we were alone while we were driving.

Lisa drove first. She quickly learned the operation of the "one pedal driving experience". Around town stop and go traffic out to an open main highway. She floored the (electric?) pedal and we were suitably impressed with the acceleration. This was the "low powered" Tesla. Not a match for a high performance ICE car, but not meant to be. For family sedan, quite strong instant acceleration. Lisa was annoyed the screen could not be tilted toward her face. She also noted there was no instrument cluster and she was not a fan of the missing cluster.

Next was my turn to drive. I became accustomed to the one pedal operation quickly. I have to say, I can see why some people like that style of driving. The missing instrument panel did not bother me, I had the seat further back than she did and could easily see the screen. The car was pleasant to drive. Not only was the acceleration instant and strong, the steering felt good to me and the seat had plenty of adjustment to get comfortable. I was only in the car 30 minutes and driving about 15 minutes so I can't say how seat would be on a long trip but my initial impression was good.

Interior material and quality seemed "good". Not "Wow this is really upper end" or "This is cheap". Just good functional new car middle ground quality, if that makes sense.

On the exterior, the fit of the left brake light gap was about 1/8'' less than the corresponding right side. Noticeable if you looked for it, but not terrible. I would expect better from a $50,000 car. No glaring problems otherwise.

We talked to the girl about the buying process. For those who might not know, the people at the store are not on commission. They are there to answer questions and assist however they can. So, zero pressure from her. She was very friendly and helpful. She told us they had no model 3's on the lot, they were sold before they got there. She answered our questions and we left to walk around the parking lot before heading home. She would have helped us order the car there at the store if we had asked.

We had talked about the Tesla for the next couple of hours and agreed that it is a very impressive car that we would both enjoy driving. But we have decided to wait for another year. Not because we have any negative feelings for the car, but in order to be in a more prepared financial condition.

I will close by saying again, we were both very impressed with the car as well as the dealership experience. I believe buying a car from Tesla would be quite pleasant, and that has not been my experience with most of my new car purchases in the past.

Pictures:

PXL_20230325_152014655.jpg

PXL_20230325_152027896.jpg
PXL_20230325_144251633.jpg
PXL_20230325_152429628.jpg

Your impressions are pretty much on par with other 1st time drivers. The interior materials and tablet interface are polarizing. If you want nice leather, dials and buttons, a Tesla is not the car for you.
The Model 3 RWD uses the China CATL LFP batteries; I believe that will make that car no longer eligible for the tax credit soon.
This fall, the refreshed Highland Model 3 is scheduled to be released, but of course that's Elon time, so who knows for sure. But perhaps any left over current versions will be available at a better price. But don't count on it, because Tesla is still build to order manufacturing.

I will tell you this, Teslas have very high customer satisfaction; the car will grow on you. Most owners will tell you this. After wifey test drove ours, and I saw the look on her face, we ordered on the spot. That was December 2018.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

My wife and I have an appointment to test drive a model 3 Tesla Saturday morning, March 25. The test drive will be in Franklin Tennessee. To those of you who own a Tesla do you have any suggestions of what we should look for?
Body panel fit and finish ( or lack thereof). Paint overspray, missing suspension bolts, missing brake pad(s). Tesla has horrible quality control. These issues are documented all over.

I'd skip anything Tesla. With how the company treats their employees ( not well) most of their head engineers have left for greener grass. Many have been thrown over to Twitter to fix that fiasco. Now it has come out that the model y with the new battery pack is not only structural if minor damage occurs the vehicle is totalled, the pack isn't repairable. Sandy Munroe did a recent teardown and isn't impressed. I dislike Teslas throw away business model. I don care how American they are, by purchasing you're encouraging and supporting a throw away model and Elon is really against the right to repair. Good luck.

I'd skip anything Tesla. With how the company treats their employees ( not well) most of their head engineers have left for greener grass. Many have been thrown over to Twitter to fix that fiasco. Now it has come out that the model y with the new battery pack is not only structural if minor damage occurs the vehicle is totalled, the pack isn't repairable. Sandy Munroe did a recent teardown and isn't impressed. I dislike Teslas throw away business model. I don care how American they are, by purchasing you're encouraging and supporting a throw away model and Elon is really against the right to repair. Good luck.
Well it is your opinion and everyone has one.

If you enjoy a performance car the performance version has some nice technical advantages. I find the Model 3 perf to be a real pleasure to drive. So much so, I believe it competes very well with C7 corvettes and other conventional sports cars.

I drive an amazingly fun Jag F-Type V6 S, (with 475 state of tune) and the almost equally fun Model 3 Perf (no convertible top) is faster in everything but outright top speed. Again, if you like to drive hard, it is a satisfying choice.

Sandy is far more impressed with Tesla than any other manufacturer he analyzes.

Sandy is far more impressed with Tesla than any other

Auto manufacturing expert Sandy Munro said the Tesla Model Y battery pack has "zero repairability." Tesla-
  • EV batteries can be hard to repair after accidents, so many often get scrapped.
  • One expert said Tesla is especially at risk.
  • Its Model Y battery pack goes "straight to the grinder" after an accident, he said.
Tesla's approach has been a structural battery pack, which has largely been hailed as revolutionary. It means the pack, chock-full of large 4680 cells, is part of the vehicle's body. While that has helped Tesla cut production costs, there can be more risk to consumers and insurers, as it cannot be removed or replaced easily, per Reuters.
This doesn't sound like he's very impressed. It sounds like more electronic waste and higher insurance premiums.

Back