Model 3 test drive March 25

they are working on a facelift model 3 with new drive hardware/updated cameras, revised bumpers and headlight/tail lights that will be released later 2023 or some time in 2024. so if you can wait, there may be price adjustments in the old inventory once the new model eta is announced.

They are also adding the radar back as the all-camera idea that musk went crazy for hasn't panned out like the nutjob thought.

No, you just don't need to use the brake pedal unless a panic stop is required. Regen will drag the car down at speed and once at a few miles an hour the car will automatically apply the brakes to stop the car. It's a very gentle process. What I find is that you're not fully off of the accelerator pedal until you're almost stopped. I use the accelerator to reduce the regenerative braking affect slightly so as to coast a bit more to stops instead of it feeling so abrupt.
I’m not the biggest fan because i like to coast as much as possible. It’s why we get 100k miles out of brake pads and whatnot. I’ve learned to temper the regent from driving my hybrid, but it’s just too aggressive on the Tesla imo. Also requires faith that the brake lights are coming on when you do want to stop people behind you.

I’m not the biggest fan because i like to coast as much as possible. It’s why we get 100k miles out of brake pads and whatnot. I’ve learned to temper the regent from driving my hybrid, but it’s just too aggressive on the Tesla imo. Also requires faith that the brake lights are coming on when you do want to stop people behind you.
You have to relearn some habits for sure. Coasting in a Tesla isn't letting off the pedal. It's easing up on the pedal until you feel the regen coming on. I didn't care for it at first either, but I use one pedal driving and it feels normal now. So yes, you can coast, but coasting doesn't happen without doing something.

You have to relearn some habits for sure. Coasting in a Tesla isn't letting off the pedal. It's easing up on the pedal until you feel the regen coming on. I didn't care for it at first either, but I use one pedal driving and it feels normal now. So yes, you can coast, but coasting doesn't happen without doing something.
Yeah. It’s similar in my hybrid, but with no brake application. I can use the gauge to temper regen rates.

There are 3 levels (I think) of regen on our Model 3. I definitely prefer max regen to take advantage of the kinetic energy and 1 pedal driving is the bomb! I rarely use the brake pedal. I think it makes me a better driver, because I am not on and off the accelerator. A smoother driver, if you will.

I test drove the model 3 and it was a so-so experience. The one thing I didn’t like are the front seats. The seat bottom, front-to-rear is short, so I felt like I was sitting on a child’s toy like’ chair (think day-care). Nevertheless, the model 3 would be a great car for the city, but not so much on road trips. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Next year they are piping in this sound before boomers are all gone

My friend's drop dead gorgeous i8 plays engine sounds through the radio. That's what you get for your 160 large, I guess.
PXL_20230203_190117829.jpg

Reactions: 4WD
My 2017 SS sedan has a fake engine sound resonator piped off the air intake and into the firewall. The car already has a 6.2 V8, so the noise just makes it sound more like a retro-rumble of decades past. I was going to remove it because the thought of fake engine sound makes me puke. However, I’ve grown so used to it and it isn’t causing me any trouble, so I just leave it be. I’m not too sure I could handle engine noise through the stereo. My Italian girlfriend is a 100% car person that would put a lot of men to shame. For me, turning a switch/volume on the stereo would be way too embarrassing. 🙈

Last edited:
My 2017 SS sedan has a fake engine sound resonator piped off the air intake and into the firewall. The car already has a 6.2 V8, so the noise just makes it sound more like a retro-rumble of decades past. I was going to remove it because the thought of fake engine sound makes me puke. However, I’ve grown so used to it and it isn’t causing me any trouble, so I just leave it be. I’m not too sure I could handle engine noise through the stereo. My Italian girlfriend is a 100% car person that would put a lot of men to shame. For me, turning a switch/volume on the stereo would be way too embarrassing. 🙈
I think that’s a bit different though, at least it is the car’s own mechanical sound. The GTI’s electronic system doesn’t sound fake, but it is completely dependent on RPM and throttle position so it would induce drone on uphill sections on the highway. Not cool.

I mean, you have t o have faith they work when you use brakes, too...right? Or is it somehow "different"?
This is one thing I like about my EV6 GT. I have multiple levels of regen from "pure coasting" to "iPedal".

My friend's drop dead gorgeous i8 plays engine sounds through the radio. That's what you get for your 160 large, I guess.
View attachment 149260
I'm not a fan. Let the car make its own sound. I know EV's have to make noise per regulations under certain speeds that can be heard outside of the car, is what it is, but otherwise my GT makes its own sound, and while unique, I've come to really like the 20K rpm turbo scream of those motors.

I mean, you have t o have faith they work when you use brakes, too...right? Or is it somehow "different"?
This is one thing I like about my EV6 GT. I have multiple levels of regen from "pure coasting" to "iPedal".
Vastly different.

One pedal driving implies that it’s all done for you. The car is slowing at some rate, coming to a stop. Unknown when it starts alerting people behind that the car is slowing down. And the regen is so aggressive that in some cases pressing the brake is not feasible because it will slow the car too aggressively. You lose a degree of control.

Two pedal driving implies that the brakes, including regen and the hydraulic system are used, and the brake lights are switched on. An established practice. Trillions of miles of use. No real need for faith here.

It’s not that I can’t drive one pedal, it’s that the loss of control to temper the rate of slowdown, coupled with unknown basis of when the brake lights come on, since I’m not controlling them, is disconcerting.

I'm not a fan. Let the car make its own sound. I know EV's have to make noise per regulations under certain speeds that can be heard outside of the car, is what it is, but otherwise my GT makes its own sound, and while unique, I've come to really like the 20K rpm turbo scream of those motors.
Owner thinks it's stupid. I don't have a dog in this fight as I am not interested in these cars, beyond their beauty.

Vastly different.

One pedal driving implies that it’s all done for you. The car is slowing at some rate, coming to a stop. Unknown when it starts alerting people behind that the car is slowing down. And the regen is so aggressive that in some cases pressing the brake is not feasible because it will slow the car too aggressively. You lose a degree of control.

Two pedal driving implies that the brakes, including regen and the hydraulic system are used, and the brake lights are switched on. An established practice. Trillions of miles of use. No real need for faith here.

It’s not that I can’t drive one pedal, it’s that the loss of control to temper the rate of slowdown, coupled with unknown basis of when the brake lights come on, since I’m not controlling them, is disconcerting.
The car icon on the tablet has brake lights that illuminate when the car's brake lights are activated. There is an algorithm that determines the level of regen required to activate the brake lights. There is a certain amount of coast mode. I think there are 3 levels of regen; I would have to check. My preference is full regen.
kg6liw954xi11.jpg

Vastly different.

This is one of those things that is impossible to explain how it works without actually using it. It does change the way you drive and it's all personal preference. I didn't immediately start using the one pedal option when I first got the car. Took me a bit to want to. Now it's normal to me. I would think getting out of it and back into a normal car would be a bad thing, but it doesn't seem to shape how I drive one or the other afterword. I would think it would though considering I tend to drive each car every other day depending on when I'm actually back home.

Back