Model 3 Mid Range, Trip Test #2

Depends... If he had a Long Range he could charge at home for cheap, then charge for 15 minutes ($15 or less) on the way home. That would save a lot of gas costs over time.

450 miles / 30 mpg = 15 gallons. 15 gallons * $3.50 per gallon = $52.50. The numbers, of course, depend on the vehicle and the gas price; this is one example.
No oil changes, tune ups, etc. Brakes last a loooong time.
It all depends...
True. I think it depends on what other car / SUV is his alternative. If it is a Prius Prime with 52mpg and he does his own oil change, the equation would totally tip to the plug in hybrid side. If he compares it against another CUV / SUV then obviously the EV would be a better choice.

Last week I found out that EV does not sell well in Japan but hybrid does. Turns out gasoline is cheaper than electricity there, despite they have nuke and lots of hot spring but have to import oil.

Usually, people buy an EV based on their commute, not hobbies or occasional trips. At the moment most people who bought a Tesla would at least have another gas car in the household, but if you really do the type of driving you do everyday you are not a good candidate for EV.
No, we don't drive that like every day, but we also don't commute every day (retired). We do like to be able to drop everything and take off to visit one of the kids, or head to the coast, or go for a hike in the mountains. Some days we just like to get off the interstates and spend a day rambling around the backroads of a place like Vermont or Maine. One time we decided we were sick of the winter so hopped in the car and drove 1,200 miles to Florida overnight and were on the beach the next day. Just trying to figure out if we could make an EV match our lifestyle instead of making our lifestyle match an EV!

No, we don't drive that like every day, but we also don't commute every day (retired). We do like to be able to drop everything and take off to visit one of the kids, or head to the coast, or go for a hike in the mountains. Some days we just like to get off the interstates and spend a day rambling around the backroads of a place like Vermont or Maine. One time we decided we were sick of the winter so hopped in the car and drove 1,200 miles to Florida overnight and were on the beach the next day. Just trying to figure out if we could make an EV match our lifestyle instead of making our lifestyle match an EV!
You are probably not a good candidate for EV then. Since you are retired and don't commute everyday you can pretty much just buy a gas-guzzling SUV and it won't cost much in fuel per year.

Nope, not big SUV fans. We're car people and like to get reasonable gas mileage. Might go hybrid instead.
Toyota makes the best hybrids. I have one, as RX450h F Sport. That new Prius looks pretty dang good to me!
AJFCJaVhiVU2o9D47BbOPK6BATo8ZNakAByXUmIcbqwqfGzUXjAsEjFq064sk8XLrzll2lDwILkTTa8GzA3XfLbC-Mm_LYVtaLS22-kBe9AmMoNIzInsEuGMBAzAHZwXvumC4kw9WMS8PaIEkwt6LnWxO7Bny9K1y-5R0C-s80HN2CvACgX36MWud6zMYMLEhS8AC8Znz5P6yGaqi8X2wKtRaUs-hifZtlu-302yxTSuoXQhYilthC-JTIA4q16sumaBH8c6z02JBsV7TS-jUyEcUGiYx2Jc08e__snFuYptqn3C_Y7-ALmWf7okmq1iumipYw6_gKH1xx-cgZYv58MAJvColrjOrnlZHsyGsSW3NRjTDrEt30Pto91FHVTQru-PIZ1KrHS3-A3LweG0XGTcfCScqWuFe_Bh7o8V6N46cBrj894yI_EjtbMvhdf4Qi94Fq8xfkmeZmsqwO68Pj81PAYrU7TRQbE3q4W0ybPs2nU_iMqK0WrF_CJOk5kVKqAj0GDLdLaAgU3ej-a7k_NLQqvWB2MnY0kmLioCzl_yVUYuB1ubl7OTiBOm1GjlNfg7ZUleaJreKR_Lgs5offqmSvgWlJH22dpXGDdekOeARA2vMJTcbxyNRqv_l2f4V6tMDwJCdiXbpuoThh0DeDNdl-R9q1KEans529m_j1jTYH3aMNdagHfPvkch_m2M3oYTCA6JIGbP564X1xQaWBhmSuPNvLCim2oImRcllUEPetI127_SQ3T0JLBuvTL19SheE8I4MwE9TOEFGmjV-IQ-6qY8eO5GK2MoTrNH0K8r4QIjN8yBZmWQWXp5_BAyuQPZ1_jrFKoySXRgL9dQctdoCpBOqj6KlvghYUX0pdZQZLKh-CP3Fjl5CEZOanHB3Zz9jXSSa191fkmMx7b2PSxnH0Hpog=w1306-h980-s-no

Back