Mobiltrans SHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice find... wonder where you can get it??? I might have simply passed it over at truckstops becase it wasnt designated '1', but truckstops would be too $$$$ anyway.

JMH

I've got mobilube SHC 75W-90 in front and back diffs of 4Runner, and front diff of navara.

Mobilube SHC ID (somethingW-140) in Navara rear diff.

Mobil 1 ATF in the Tx cases of both.

Mobilgear XHP in the gearboxes (Only because it's GL-4).

The mobil range of synthetic gear oils are priced around the same as Delvac 1, which is about 75% of the price of the M1 engine oils ($60-$65 per 5 litres rather than $85 for the M1 engine oils)

This is the only lubricant that I could substitute for Mopar's GL-3 synthetic lube for the AX-15. At the time I could only buy it in 5 gallon buckets and it was $110 for that. I didn't buy it ..but that was about what 6 quarts would have cost the Mopar fluid.

I think the name has changed just a bit. I think it was just called Delvac Mobiltrans

Hello,
I have used Mobil SHC 75w-90 in the differentials of my (since sold) heavy trucks over many years and many millions of kms
My trucks ran Interstate and each one covered around 250 000kms annually (City trucks excepted - then 50 000kms)

Initially in the mid 1990s I had to get Manufacturer Approval ex the USA to use a 75w-90 instead of the OZ specced 85w-140 mineral. I had carried out extensive temperature testing (ambient/component) prior to "pushing" my point

I was reluctant to try Mobil's Mobilube SHC lubricant after having used Castrol's excellent Syntrax 75w-90 over many years with truely great results. I was proved wrong!

In reality both lubricants performed almost identically

The oil change intervals were based on need - determined via UOAs aligned with the condemnation limits set by the diff's manufacturer. As a baseline the lubricant was always changed
after five years or 1 million kms whichever was reached first

The SAE50 lubricants I used in RoadRanger gearboxes were Castrol's Syndrive "E" and Mobil's Mobiltrans SHC50
Again both performed the same using the criteria mentioned above

I never suffered a bearing, seal or component failure in any of my vehicles over nearly 20 years with any new purchased vehicles that spent their life on a synthetic lubricant. The introduction of synthetic lubricants to a new vehicle always followed a set application process

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
Hello Bruce,

Condemnation limits for Drive Axles (the "replace lube" limits):
Viscosity @ 100C = 20% from new
Phosphorus = 30% decrease from new
TAN = 2 above new lube
Iron = 1000ppm
Copper = 120ppm (single speed only)
Chromium = 5ppm
Silicon = 130ppm & high wear metals
Sodium = 50ppm
Water = 0.5% by volume

I used the same limits with 13/15/18 speed Transmissions

My highest Drive Axle (front axle of tandem) readings were
TAN (2.4)
Viscosity = V120 (180) (suspected error and lubricant topped up with SHC140)
Water(0.15%)
Iron(588ppm)
Aluminium(8ppm)
Chromium(2ppm)
Copper(40ppm)
Lead(5ppm)
Silicon(138ppm)
Sodium(10)

These were very typical numbers and this one relates to Mobilube SHC 75-90 after 1005000 kms (624000 miles) without change.
The oil was only changed at this point due to the high viscosity and TAN numbers

This truck (typical) was @ 500hp and 1650 lb/ft - Gross Mass 92000lbs (loaded 98%) - Speed limited to 104kmh(64mph) - operating ambient -5C to 43C - max gradient 9%

Regards
Doug

Hello Doug,

I find it interesting that the 75-90 gear lube/Mobiltrans SHC went 124K past the 500K most OEM's suggest with 85-140 synthetic gear lube.You have proven your point about 75-90's and I have also noted that many OEM's are now moving towards the 75-90's...specifically 110's.

Your analysis of the lube and condemnation limits have paid off as well with fuel savings and longer lube life. What kind of OCI is the norm for condemnation limits in the transmissions? And do you believe that R&R the lubes in new/rebuilt units(rear gears and transmissions early (meaning break-in period) pay's off in the end?

Hi,
I used the same Diff limits for gearboxes with due regard to the different metallurgy used - and the different oil type of course
I always looked for viscosity, TAN and wear metal relationships

The "run in" regime was to get rid of the mineral oil (new or refill after rebuild) before any chemical build up occured on seals etc. The change out always occurred before around 5k kms.

We followed the same routine with gearboxes

Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back